Conservative Party of Canada Leadership Race Megathread-May 27th 2017
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 11:21:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Conservative Party of Canada Leadership Race Megathread-May 27th 2017
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 36
Poll
Question: Will some candidates drop out of the race in order to stop O'Leary from winning?
Yes

No

Maybe

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 18

Author Topic: Conservative Party of Canada Leadership Race Megathread-May 27th 2017  (Read 102485 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: November 01, 2016, 07:25:58 PM »

I imagine this might move some votes. Kind of like if an NDP candidate was found to be taking money from Campaign Life Coalition.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #451 on: November 02, 2016, 10:00:26 AM »

Why do Canucks take so long to choose a new opposition leader? Certainly you guys could have picked a new leader the next day/within a few months at most.

Parties will select a capable interim leader to run things for a while. The idea is that a good leader is best found by a fairly lengthy pre-campaign and campaign.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #452 on: November 02, 2016, 10:05:27 AM »

Raitt will announce tomorrow.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #453 on: November 02, 2016, 12:07:21 PM »
« Edited: November 02, 2016, 12:17:26 PM by Adam T »

I don't even know what I did, but it seems Don Martin blocked me from his twitter.  It seems that many of the most snarky, sarcastic journalists are also the most sensitive to being criticized/insulted themselves.  One thing I can't stand is losers who like to dish it out but can't take it themselves.

I would also add less snarky or sarcastic journalists but those who write cynically like Mike (dick of the century) Smyth, Kelly McParland, Tristin Hopper and John Ivison also are very quick to block people who criticize/insult them.

Finally, the generally very serious journalist Paul Wells is said to have the quickest blocker finger in Canada.

The snarky and sarcastic journalist Colby Cosh doesn't block anybody, but seems to like being criticized/insulted so that he can return fire in kind.  I can respect that, but unfortunately Cosh doesn't seem capable of writing pieces that require major research and is only capable of being snarky and sarcastic.

I should point out that since the defeat of the Conservatives in 2015 Tristin Hopper has actually transformed from being a National Post Conservative Party partisan hack into being a solid and credible journalist.  I'm actually a little sorry that I can't follow his twitter comments.

On the other side, Jen Gerson is on my most favored list as is Andrew Coyne.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #454 on: November 02, 2016, 12:12:09 PM »

I don't even know what I did, but it seems Don Martin blocked me from his twitter.  It seems that many of the most snarky, sarcastic journalists are also the most sensitive to being criticized/insulted themselves.  One thing I can't stand is losers who like to dish it out but can't take it themselves.

Welcome to the club: Delacourt blocked me years ago even though I never interacted with her.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #455 on: November 02, 2016, 12:15:21 PM »

I don't even know what I did, but it seems Don Martin blocked me from his twitter.  It seems that many of the most snarky, sarcastic journalists are also the most sensitive to being criticized/insulted themselves.  One thing I can't stand is losers who like to dish it out but can't take it themselves.

Welcome to the club: Delacourt blocked me years ago even though I never interacted with her.

I think I follow her, never interact with her though.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #456 on: November 02, 2016, 01:52:43 PM »

Blaney trying to Trump Leitch with a taxpayer-funded nativist witch hunt.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #457 on: November 02, 2016, 03:14:26 PM »

Lisa RaittVerified account
‏@lraitt
Join us for our full announcement tomorrow at 10AM ET. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puzvf9oDzNYhttp://www.lisa2019.ca/

https://twitter.com/lraitt/status/793906365639061504
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #458 on: November 05, 2016, 07:21:11 AM »

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/11/04/dan-lindsay-andrew-saxton-make-tory-leadership-debate-cut-off

12 candidates have registered and will be at the debate.
M.Ps
1.Deepak Obhrai
2.Andrew Saxton
3.Brad Trost
4.Erin O'Toole
5.Kellie Leitch
6.Lisa Raitt
7.Michael Chong
8.Steven Blaney
9.Maxime Bernier

Former M.Ps
1.Andrew Saxton
2.Chris Alexander

Other
1.Dan Lindsay
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #459 on: November 10, 2016, 11:16:14 PM »

A Mainstreet poll done just before the first leadership debate. Candidates who have declared late are not doing well in the poll compared to those who have campaigned for some time. Answers are from Conservative supporters not members but still better than general population.

Leitch 19%
Scheer 14%
Chong 12%
O'Toole and Bernier 11%

http://www.mainstreetresearch.ca/canadas-donald-trump-leads-conservative-leadership-race/

Top three favourable opinion:
Scheer 34%
Leitch 31%
Chong and O'Toole 26%

Top three unfavourable opinion:
Bernier 29%
Leitch 22%
Trost 17%

2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #460 on: November 10, 2016, 11:22:53 PM »

I remember when Kellie Leitch was asked flat out whether her ideology test would prohibit Roman Catholics and orthodox Jews, she stuttered like a deer in the headlights. That's the biggest weakness that her opponents should exploit.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #461 on: November 11, 2016, 06:47:43 AM »

I remember when Kellie Leitch was asked flat out whether her ideology test would prohibit Roman Catholics and orthodox Jews, she stuttered like a deer in the headlights. That's the biggest weakness that her opponents should exploit.

That's why I'm not voting for her.

Pretty sure some of my opinions would fail a Canadian values test.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #462 on: November 11, 2016, 10:12:55 AM »

Oh wonderful, Leitch is winning. Hopefully she has a ceiling below 50%.
DL
Canada

« Reply #463 on: November 11, 2016, 10:34:14 AM »

Oh wonderful, Leitch is winning. Hopefully she has a ceiling below 50%.

I hope you're being sarcastic.

1. The people who will elect the next CPC leader will be card carrying Conservative Party members with each riding given equal weight. A poll of the general public is really just a measure of who has been in the news. If gen pop polling months before a membership vote was at all predictive of who would win party leadership contests then the current leader of the Ontario Liberals would be Gerard Kennedy and the current leader of the Ontario PCs would be Christine Elliott.

2.  If we were to take the polling at face value - it really just points to a cluster with 4 or 5 candidates polling in the teens...but bear in mind that Maxime Bernier is in the mid-teens and I suspect that about 0% of his supporters would rank unilinguals such as Leitch or Raitt any higher than dead last on their preferential ballot
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #464 on: November 11, 2016, 07:32:39 PM »

Roll Eyes

Oh, and if anything Leitch is the Patrick Brown of this race, so the Elliott comparison is strange. Perhaps this means Leitch is way ahead in reality. But of course, I don't pretend to know anything about the internal voting patterns of the Conservative Party membership.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #465 on: November 12, 2016, 04:50:21 PM »

I wonder how the membership will take it, if one candidate decisively wins the popular vote, but a bitter rival candidate wins because of the points system. It'll be impossible to ignore the cries of "the rules are all rigged".
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #466 on: November 12, 2016, 07:41:13 PM »

Will they even count the popular vote totals?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #467 on: November 12, 2016, 08:47:15 PM »

Will they even count the popular vote totals?

They did last time. Harper won ~70% of the vote but only ~55% of the points.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #468 on: November 12, 2016, 10:26:05 PM »

The wikipedia page about the 2004 leadership election has vote totals, points by province and percentages of points by ridings. I hope all data is correct. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservative_Party_of_Canada_leadership_election,_2004

Stronach finished first in points in NL, PEI, NS, NB, Quebec and Nunavut. Probably small membership provinces so she received 23% of total vote but got 34% of points.   
Cynthia
ueutyi
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -3.63

« Reply #469 on: November 14, 2016, 04:56:55 AM »

Where's O'Leary? I am not following this contest closely the last time I checked he was front runner no?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #470 on: November 14, 2016, 09:19:55 AM »

Where's O'Leary? I am not following this contest closely the last time I checked he was front runner no?

He's probably not running. We already have our Trump candidate.
DL
Canada

« Reply #471 on: November 14, 2016, 01:19:09 PM »

He's probably not running. We already have our Trump candidate.

As much as i dislike Kevin O'Leary - he is really nothing like Donald Trump...for one thing he is very socially liberal and supports gay rights and abortion rights and more immigration. His TV show actually deals with economics and public policy...nothing like The Apprentice
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #472 on: November 14, 2016, 04:29:04 PM »

You're right, Kevin O'Learly is not literally Donald Trump.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #473 on: November 14, 2016, 05:43:35 PM »

Kellie Leitch openly praised Donald Trump, but she has none of his charisma or political intuition.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #474 on: November 15, 2016, 11:36:19 AM »

She has positioned herself as the alt-right candidate, that is why she is dangerous. That is if Canada has enough crazies to get on board her campaign. I'm hoping not, but then again I didn't think Trump could beat Clinton!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 36  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies