Conservative Party of Canada Leadership Race Megathread-May 27th 2017
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:57:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Conservative Party of Canada Leadership Race Megathread-May 27th 2017
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 36
Poll
Question: Will some candidates drop out of the race in order to stop O'Leary from winning?
Yes

No

Maybe

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 18

Author Topic: Conservative Party of Canada Leadership Race Megathread-May 27th 2017  (Read 102017 times)
Pandaguineapig
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: August 05, 2016, 09:05:51 PM »

LMAO. He'll get parts of the Prairies and that's it. In a GE, a strident, single-issue socon would get results closer to Alliance 2000 than Harper in 2004/15.
I just figured because he is the only so con and the only candidate west of Ontario he would have an opening in the leadership race not in 2019

He'll have to compete with Deepak Obhrai and (possibly) Andrew Scheer for the Western Conservative vote, so his Western roots won't really be an advantage.
I thought obhrai was going to dropout if macCay or Raitt got in?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #301 on: August 08, 2016, 03:29:18 PM »

O'Toole considering.
adma
« Reply #302 on: August 08, 2016, 09:58:15 PM »

I see Obhrai less as a proxy for Kenney than as a Con leadership race version of Harinder Takhar in the 2013 Ontario Liberal leadership race, i.e. less as genuine contender than as ethno-bloc rallying point.  (Which kind of dovetails back into Kenney's strengths, too.)
diptheriadan

« Reply #303 on: August 10, 2016, 12:49:22 AM »

Is O'Leary still considering running?
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #304 on: August 10, 2016, 02:52:55 AM »

I think he said something like that he wouldn't decide until the day of the filing deadline.
diptheriadan

« Reply #305 on: August 14, 2016, 07:28:22 AM »

I think he said something like that he wouldn't decide until the day of the filing deadline.

How much like Trump is he?
DL
Canada

« Reply #306 on: August 14, 2016, 12:17:09 PM »

O'Leary has only a superficial resemblance to Trump. He is much more urbane and socially liberal. If I was going to compare him to anyone in recent US politics he would be more like Steve Forbes. O'Leary has very hardline rightwing economic views but they are orthodox rightwing views, he would never bash NAFTA or TPP etc...

The prospective Conservative candidate who is really the most Trump-like would be Doug Ford
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #307 on: August 14, 2016, 03:38:32 PM »

O'Leary has only a superficial resemblance to Trump. He is much more urbane and socially liberal. If I was going to compare him to anyone in recent US politics he would be more like Steve Forbes. O'Leary has very hardline rightwing economic views but they are orthodox rightwing views, he would never bash NAFTA or TPP etc...

The prospective Conservative candidate who is really the most Trump-like would be Doug Ford

O'Leary is also a bombastic bully like Trump.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #308 on: August 14, 2016, 10:40:52 PM »

These are fresh comparisons that are absolutely right.

It seems though anyway that O'Leary is leaning against a run.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #309 on: August 15, 2016, 09:28:39 AM »

O'Leary won't run, but there is definitely a sizable chunk of Conservatives who would vote for someone like him... someone who will "stick it to those pinko elitists".
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #310 on: August 16, 2016, 11:39:52 AM »

Trost is in.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #311 on: August 16, 2016, 10:34:50 PM »

Why is he in Mongolia at the same time as his campaign team announces he's running?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #312 on: August 22, 2016, 02:24:30 PM »

Trost has company. Hopefully Raitt saves us from this clown car.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #313 on: August 23, 2016, 01:57:42 PM »

Raitt will announce next month.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #314 on: August 23, 2016, 02:12:01 PM »

Small article in the Vancouver Sun, defeated Vancouver area M.P Andrew Saxton is considering a run as well, mainly to be a B.C candidate.  Saxton is something of a social moderate, I think, though his fellow North Shore area Conservative M.P John Weston (who also was defeated) was a higher profile social moderate.

Are all of these lesser names coming forward a belief from them that this is a wide open race, which would mean that they don't think that Peter MacKay is going to run?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #315 on: August 23, 2016, 02:12:33 PM »

Lisa Raitt's not going to win, unless there is some underground super campaign going on, a la Patrick Brown.  Is there one?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #316 on: August 23, 2016, 02:14:23 PM »

Lisa Raitt's not going to win, unless there is some underground super campaign going on, a la Patrick Brown.  Is there one?

Who will win then? No one has an organized super campaign.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #317 on: August 23, 2016, 02:16:26 PM »

Peter MacKay will probably win if he runs.  Otherwise I'd guess there are 4 early fairly equal front runners: Lisa Raitt, Tony Clement, Kellie Leitch and Maxime Bernier.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #318 on: August 23, 2016, 02:25:18 PM »
« Edited: August 23, 2016, 04:12:21 PM by Adam T »

Andrew Coyne wrote a decent article yesterday on the 'ideas primary' in the Conservative leadership race.  He believes Bernier is winning that, though that's obviously because he agrees with Bernier.

That said, and for what it's worth I do too.  I never understood this idea of those on the left who somehow believe that businesses that are owned by Canadians will be more loyal to Canada or to Canadian consumers. The sole loyalty of business people is to the bottom line, and the only way to ensure they behave responsibly is through competition.  So, opening up all Canadian markets to foreign competition is the way to make sure that Canadian owned businesses act in the best interests of Canadians.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #319 on: August 23, 2016, 03:03:59 PM »

Peter MacKay will probably win if he runs.  Otherwise I'd guess there are 4 early fairly equal front runners: Lisa Raitt, Tony Clement, Kellie Leitch and Maxime Bernier.

Maxime Bernier is not winning. He is a laughing stock in the province that know him.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #320 on: August 23, 2016, 03:05:40 PM »

Maxime Bernier is not winning. He is a laughing stock in the province that know him.

Will be hilarious to see the ROC pundits giving him "strange new respect" get so many eggs on their face.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #321 on: August 23, 2016, 03:22:04 PM »

I wouldn't count anyone out yet. It's early days and a lot could happen, especially with the lack of front runner or super organized campaigns.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #322 on: August 23, 2016, 03:30:50 PM »

Is he? He just got reelected in his Beauce riding with nearly 60% of the vote, and the latest poll of Conservative supporters had him at 10% nationally and I presume most of that came from Quebecers.

He may be 'laughing stock' among non Conservatives in Quebec, but he seems to be very well liked by Quebec conservatives.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #323 on: August 23, 2016, 03:41:39 PM »
« Edited: August 23, 2016, 03:43:20 PM by RogueBeaver »

Peter MacKay will probably win if he runs.  Otherwise I'd guess there are 4 early fairly equal front runners: Lisa Raitt, Tony Clement, Kellie Leitch and Maxime Bernier.

Is he? He just got reelected in his Beauce riding with nearly 60% of the vote, and the latest poll of Conservative supporters had him at 10% nationally and I presume most of that came from Quebecers.

He may be 'laughing stock' among non Conservatives in Quebec, but he seems to be very well liked by Quebec conservatives.

You're wrong. He's not popular at all outside the Beauce. His economic proposals interest me but I have zero interest in putting anywhere near first preference.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #324 on: August 23, 2016, 03:48:33 PM »

Peter MacKay will probably win if he runs.  Otherwise I'd guess there are 4 early fairly equal front runners: Lisa Raitt, Tony Clement, Kellie Leitch and Maxime Bernier.

You're wrong. He's not popular at all outside the Beauce. His economic proposals interest me but I have zero interest in putting anywhere near first preference.

Then how do you explain the poll that had him at 10% nationally?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 36  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies