Conservative Party of Canada Leadership Race Megathread-May 27th 2017
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:57:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Conservative Party of Canada Leadership Race Megathread-May 27th 2017
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 36
Poll
Question: Will some candidates drop out of the race in order to stop O'Leary from winning?
Yes

No

Maybe

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 18

Author Topic: Conservative Party of Canada Leadership Race Megathread-May 27th 2017  (Read 101989 times)
DL
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: September 06, 2016, 09:13:02 AM »

I have heard some rumours that Raitt will not run largely because she is embroiled in a very nasty custody dispute with her ex-husband that is going to court
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #376 on: September 06, 2016, 03:20:32 PM »

The latest National Post article on the Conservative Leadership race by Jason Fekete labeled Kellie Leitch as a 'Red Tory.'
DL
Canada

« Reply #377 on: September 06, 2016, 04:25:08 PM »

The latest National Post article on the Conservative Leadership race by Jason Fekete labeled Kellie Leitch as a 'Red Tory.'

Well now we know that Fekete is a total know-nothing!!!
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #378 on: September 07, 2016, 03:38:10 PM »
« Edited: September 07, 2016, 03:54:53 PM by King of Kensington »

Some pundits ludicrously believe that anyone with a PC rather than Reform/Alliance background = "Red Tory."
DL
Canada

« Reply #379 on: September 07, 2016, 05:02:18 PM »

Some pundits ludicrously believe that anyone with a PC rather than Reform/Alliance background = "Red Tory."

In other words Mike Harris was a "red Tory" - who knew??
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #380 on: September 08, 2016, 06:06:56 AM »

There's a perfectly plausible alternative explanation for Leitch: She's a politician shifting like a weathervane in an effort to carve out a niche for herself.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #381 on: September 08, 2016, 12:58:18 PM »

Scheer is in, Raitt sounds in.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #382 on: September 09, 2016, 08:35:39 PM »
« Edited: September 09, 2016, 09:57:53 PM by Representative 1184AZ »

At this moment who do you think will win. I would be surprised if either O'Leary, or MacKay run,although MacKay is probably one of the favorites if he does run. The way I see it now it is probably a three way race with Bernier, Clement, and Raitt (assuming she runs) as the favorites. While Leitch probably was in the mix at one point, her chances have been hurt significantly by recent comments on Immigration. Chong and Obhrai are probably too moderate to win the leadership, while Lemieux,  Snow, Scheer and Tost are too socially conservative to win.Right now  Raitt probably wins, with Bernier in second and Clement in third.
adma
« Reply #383 on: September 09, 2016, 09:01:45 PM »

Right now  Raitt probably wins, with Bernier in second and Clement in third.

IMO Raitt's too much of a federal Christine Elliott to win.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #384 on: September 09, 2016, 09:49:50 PM »

At this moment who do you think will win. I would be surprised if either O'Leary, or MacKay run,although MacKay is probably one of the favorites if he does run. The way I see it now it is probably a three way race with Bernier, Clement, and Raitt (assuming she runs) as the favorites. While Leitch probably was in the mix at one point, her chances have been hurt significantly by recent comments on Immigration. Chong and Obhrai are probably to moderate to win the leadership, while Lemieux,  Snow, Scheer and Tost are too socially conservative to win.Right now  Raitt probably wins, with Bernier in second and Clement in third.

Scheer is socially conservative but it remains to be seen how socially conservative he runs, he also says that he plans to run a broad based issues campaign and not focus just on social issues.  I'd place him with your other three front-runners.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #385 on: September 10, 2016, 05:36:52 AM »

At this moment who do you think will win. I would be surprised if either O'Leary, or MacKay run,although MacKay is probably one of the favorites if he does run. The way I see it now it is probably a three way race with Bernier, Clement, and Raitt (assuming she runs) as the favorites. While Leitch probably was in the mix at one point, her chances have been hurt significantly by recent comments on Immigration. Chong and Obhrai are probably to moderate to win the leadership, while Lemieux,  Snow, Scheer and Tost are too socially conservative to win.Right now  Raitt probably wins, with Bernier in second and Clement in third.

Scheer is socially conservative but it remains to be seen how socially conservative he runs, he also says that he plans to run a broad based issues campaign and not focus just on social issues.  I'd place him with your other three front-runners.

Agreed. The main of affect of this is that he'll take all of Trost and Lemieux's breathing room. I could see Trost pulling a semi-decent result if the field was almost all people who wanted to 'move past' social issues. Scheer will run as a compromise between social conservatism and electability, and which should limit the other socons quite a bit.
DL
Canada

« Reply #386 on: September 10, 2016, 09:02:09 AM »

How do you make that compromise? Either you are a social conservative who wants to rescind equal marriage and declare all same sex marriages to be annulled and you want to restrict abortion rights...or you can be electable. You can't be both.

I suspect that the SoCon kooks in the Tory party like Charles McVety feel they got burned when they all signed up to back Patrick Brown for the Ontario PC leadership only to watch him march in gay pride parades and flip flop in sex education. They will demand very firm commitments in exchange for their support and any attempt to be all things to all people by someone like Scheer will flop.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #387 on: September 10, 2016, 10:04:34 AM »

How do you make that compromise? Either you are a social conservative who wants to rescind equal marriage and declare all same sex marriages to be annulled and you want to restrict abortion rights...or you can be electable. You can't be both.

Roll Eyes

a) Politics exists on a continium and
b)The religious right has more than two issues. The Harper government even pursued some of them.

DL
Canada

« Reply #388 on: September 10, 2016, 12:06:33 PM »

Really? what issues does the religious right have in Canada apart from the following?

a. hatred of gays and lesbians and belief that they must be stripped of their rights
b. wanting to ban abortion rights and restrict contraception - likely with jail terms for women who choose to terminate pregnancy
c. a total ban on euthanasia so they can make sure that the terminally ill suffer in the most excruciating pain possible. (I've never understood why these so-called Christians seem to enjoy seeing people suffer)

I'm scratching my head to think of what else the the s-called religious right would want that are in areas of federal jurisdiction...maybe they want to ban all non-Christian immigration to Canada? Maybe they want to erect crucifixes in all public buildings?...maybe they want to find some way to force all schools to teach creationism instead of evolution?

Am I missing anything?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #389 on: September 10, 2016, 12:20:43 PM »

Patrick Brown seems to be doing a good job of this so far. Basically, tell the socons you'll do one thing and tell the moderates you won't.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #390 on: September 10, 2016, 02:42:11 PM »

Really? what issues does the religious right have in Canada apart from the following?

a. hatred of gays and lesbians and belief that they must be stripped of their rights
b. wanting to ban abortion rights and restrict contraception - likely with jail terms for women who choose to terminate pregnancy
c. a total ban on euthanasia so they can make sure that the terminally ill suffer in the most excruciating pain possible. (I've never understood why these so-called Christians seem to enjoy seeing people suffer)

I'm scratching my head to think of what else the the s-called religious right would want that are in areas of federal jurisdiction...maybe they want to ban all non-Christian immigration to Canada? Maybe they want to erect crucifixes in all public buildings?...maybe they want to find some way to force all schools to teach creationism instead of evolution?

Am I missing anything?

You forgot the part where we kick puppies. Roll Eyes
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #391 on: September 10, 2016, 07:49:08 PM »

Am I missing anything?

This was some evangelist on a PBS program about American voters called 'The New Deciders' but I think it fits here:

"There are 4 things I want (lower taxes is one, boiler plate stuff)
1.Traditional marriage
2.No abortion
3.limited government
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #392 on: September 12, 2016, 04:16:53 PM »

As expected, MacKay won't run.
DL
Canada

« Reply #393 on: September 12, 2016, 04:50:05 PM »

So I guess that means Kevin O'Leary is unstoppable as the next CPC leader!
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #394 on: September 17, 2016, 01:22:07 PM »
« Edited: September 18, 2016, 12:04:58 AM by Adam T »

Candice Bergen (nee Hoeppner) has replaced Andrew Scheer as Conservative House Leader.  I think it can be assumed that Bergen is considering running for the leadership.

On the other hand though, Rona Ambrose was on the CBC Program The House today and said that 'a dozen in our caucus are considering running for  the leadership.'

At most, I can only count 10 and at at least one of them seems to be pretty iffy: Steven Blaney.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #395 on: September 17, 2016, 02:01:50 PM »

Who knows. She might know more than we do, or she might be speaking off the cuff in an interview.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #396 on: September 20, 2016, 06:22:55 PM »

Bernier promises to eliminate capital gains tax.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #397 on: September 20, 2016, 06:57:18 PM »

Brison suggested that 5 years ago. Tongue
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #398 on: September 22, 2016, 11:01:53 AM »

The long national nightmare for the Conservatives is just starting:  Chris Alexander is going to run for leader.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/paulmcleod/chris-alexander-says-he-will-enter-uninspiring-conservative?bftwcanada&utm_term=.utVrbV2JR#.lkrOb4J91
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #399 on: September 23, 2016, 09:31:48 PM »

Steven Blaney left his opposition critic role so it seems he is ready to run for leadership.

I've read Lisa Raitt's husband has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. Don't know if that makes you want to spend more time with your loved one than spending all your time in politics, running for party leadership or being party leader.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 36  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies