Conservative Party of Canada Leadership Race Megathread-May 27th 2017
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:46:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Conservative Party of Canada Leadership Race Megathread-May 27th 2017
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 36
Poll
Question: Will some candidates drop out of the race in order to stop O'Leary from winning?
Yes

No

Maybe

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 18

Author Topic: Conservative Party of Canada Leadership Race Megathread-May 27th 2017  (Read 102154 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #525 on: December 12, 2016, 03:31:23 PM »

I was sorta joking about the translator thing, but it was done in 1993, maybe '97 for Manning. To me a bilingual leader is non-negotiable. That's partially why after this debate I decided to switch to Scheer.

Wasn't really an issue because Reform had almost no candidate east of the Ontario. Most of them only got Alliance candidates in 2000.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #526 on: December 12, 2016, 05:19:36 PM »

More O'Leary: he won't make a final decision till February.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #527 on: December 12, 2016, 06:14:06 PM »

I wrote previously he'd wait until the last possible moment in order to increase the speculation and to avoid as many of the debates as possible.

I would be genuinely surprised if he didn't get into the race.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #528 on: December 12, 2016, 06:58:57 PM »

OOC I wonder what Pocklington's name ID was in December 1982.
adma
« Reply #529 on: December 12, 2016, 09:00:11 PM »

Wasn't really an issue because Reform had almost no candidate east of the Ontario. Most of them only got Alliance candidates in 2000.

Actually, Reform had already established a Maritime foundation in 1993, managing high teen percentages in its NB/NS strong spots...
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #530 on: December 13, 2016, 02:17:58 PM »

Actually, Reform had already established a Maritime foundation in 1993, managing high teen percentages in its NB/NS strong spots...

Central Canadians think Canada ends in Gaspe. Sad
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #531 on: December 13, 2016, 03:31:56 PM »

Central Canadians think Canada ends in Gaspe. Sad

Don't be silly, Canada ends (and begins) in Toronto. Cheesy
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #532 on: December 16, 2016, 11:02:02 PM »

In the December CROP poll on Quebec voting intentions, there was a hypothetical Bernier leader question. CROP lists party names with leaders in the question. There was almost no difference with Bernier as party leader.

Regular result:
Lib 55% NDP 16% Bloc 13% PCC 11% Green 5%

With Bernier leader:
Lib 53% NDP 16% Bloc 13% PCC 13% Green 5%

An increase of 2% is very minimal impact. 
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #533 on: December 16, 2016, 11:20:14 PM »

In the December CROP poll on Quebec voting intentions, there was a hypothetical Bernier leader question. CROP lists party names with leaders in the question. There was almost no difference with Bernier as party leader.

Regular result:
Lib 55% NDP 16% Bloc 13% PCC 11% Green 5%

With Bernier leader:
Lib 53% NDP 16% Bloc 13% PCC 13% Green 5%

An increase of 2% is very minimal impact. 

I asked Bernier today on twitter what he thought about the concept of loan guarantees for companies, and within a few hours he responded to me. I quite like him.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #534 on: December 17, 2016, 08:52:14 AM »

Libertarianism has never been an influential part of conservative politics here, whether it be Mulroneyism or Unionism. Leaving aside Bernier being PNG outside the Beauce.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #535 on: December 17, 2016, 09:21:54 PM »

Prominent Montreal businessman Daniel Fournier may or may not have considered running 3 weeks ago but there has been no mention since then.

There was an article during the week. Didn't predict if he would run or not. He has been consulting people across the country. 
http://www.lapresse.ca/le-soleil/actualites/politique/201612/13/01-5051116-succession-de-stephen-harper-daniel-fournier-en-consultations-intensives.php

Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #536 on: December 24, 2016, 05:27:54 PM »

After consultations, Daniel Fournier has decided  he will not run.

http://www.lapresse.ca/le-soleil/actualites/politique/201612/22/01-5054087-100-000-pour-postuler-a-la-succession-de-harper.php

I'm curious to see if the Quebec MPs will start to endorse candidates after the next debate in Quebec City. 
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #537 on: December 30, 2016, 05:40:32 PM »

Dan Lindsay is withdrawing from the leadership race.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #538 on: December 30, 2016, 05:49:12 PM »

To the people in Quebec here, and to the Quebec observers in general, which candidate do you think will win the majority of the point support in Quebec (so, not which candidate do you think will get the most votes, not that the candidate with the most votes and the candidate with the most points will necessarily be different.)

I ask because well known political science professor Nelson Wiseman wrote an article in the Globe and Mail predicting Maxime Bernier as the likely next leader of the Conservative Party on the basis that Wiseman thinks Bernier will dominate Quebec.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/quebecs-power-to-shape-federal-politics/article33447037/

I don't like to be 'ageist' and I like to judge everybody as an individual, but maybe there is something sometimes to the idea that, at least for some people as they get older, they get stuck in the past.

Nelson Wiseman's entire column strikes me as fighting old battles between Quebec and English Canada (or English Speaking Canada.)  As one of the replies there points out, Canada is now much more like other countries with ideological divisions based on urban/rural divides and the like, including, increasingly in Quebec itself.

I suggest it's time for Wiseman to retire.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #539 on: December 31, 2016, 10:33:11 AM »

Bernier without a doubt. Only Scheer of the serious candidates could really compete, especially since most of them are unilingual and therefore eliminated by default. (As I've said before, unilingualism is a red line for me)
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #540 on: December 31, 2016, 10:50:57 AM »

Bernier without a doubt. Only Scheer of the serious candidates could really compete, especially since most of them are unilingual and therefore eliminated by default. (As I've said before, unilingualism is a red line for me)

What about Blaney as his support for the charter of values and identity politics seems to be more in line with Conservatives in Quebec?
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #541 on: January 01, 2017, 08:54:06 PM »

Nelson Wiseman's entire column strikes me as fighting old battles between Quebec and English Canada (or English Speaking Canada.)  As one of the replies there points out, Canada is now much more like other countries with ideological divisions based on urban/rural divides and the like, including, increasingly in Quebec itself.

I read the comments section and someone is refuting the author's statement calling Raitt the establishment candidate claiming it is Scheer. From the Wikipedia CPC leadership page Scheer has 20 Mps supporting him, O'Toole 14 and Raitt only 3.

For a university professor he is not very nuanced (or he is confident of his ability to predict the future). I didn't take the column has a battle between Quebec and English speaking Canada... well in a way yes since the conclusion is Quebec still has outsized influence, like he was complaining Quebec decides everything! I probably don't understand his point because he also talks about the last NDP convention and the next leadership race and Quebec represents about 10% of the votes.

I think it's true there are more divisions within Quebec. There is no more a two party system like decades ago but 3-4 parties at the federal and provincial level. Quebec City and south of it has developped a more conservative, anti-union, anti-state, anti-nationalist culture for example. 
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #542 on: January 01, 2017, 09:47:02 PM »

It's not only Nelson Wiseman who is prediciting a Maxime Bernier win.

In his 2017 predictions Don Martin thinks the same.
You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/don-martin-s-political-predictions-for-2017-1.3205387
Michael Den Tandt also chose Mad Max Bernier in his 2017 predictions.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/michael-den-tandt-mad-max-bernier-will-be-the-next-conservative-leader-and-other-predictions-for-2017

They seem to know they are not good in their predictions. I have a hard time picturing Bernier winning. Like Stéphane Dion becoming leader was a shock and surprise, Bernier would be the same. He is not respected or liked by a big part of the population in Quebec. Opinion can change, and becoming leader is an acomplishment and increase your stature. But if you propose policies like privatizing Canada Post, endind supply management farming, you know you will have people against you from the start. His very limited role of government is probably easy to attack by the other parties.     
DL
Canada

« Reply #543 on: January 01, 2017, 10:56:33 PM »

Much of the Conservative base is composed of anti-French bigots who hate bilingualism and are convinced that Quebec gets too much of everything. What happens if the CPC picked Bernier as leader who has a heavy Quebec accent...
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #544 on: January 02, 2017, 04:01:17 AM »

I read the comments section and someone is refuting the author's statement calling Raitt the establishment candidate claiming it is Scheer. From the Wikipedia CPC leadership page Scheer has 20 Mps supporting him, O'Toole 14 and Raitt only 3.

That was me. Smiley
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #545 on: January 02, 2017, 07:39:07 AM »

Much of the Conservative base is composed of anti-French bigots who hate bilingualism and are convinced that Quebec gets too much of everything. What happens if the CPC picked Bernier as leader who has a heavy Quebec accent...

I'm sure they'd fall in line, seeing that none of the other parties are very good at catering to "bigots" (although some might switch to the NDP, depending on who they choose as leader)
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #546 on: January 02, 2017, 05:34:43 PM »

I don't know about people who would actually join the Conservative Party, but polls every four years show that even half of Conservative Party supporters would vote for the Democratic candidate for President over the Republican candidate.

I think the view expressed here in the original post is too dismissive of Conservatives.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #547 on: January 03, 2017, 07:19:15 PM »

I don't know about people who would actually join the Conservative Party, but polls every four years show that even half of Conservative Party supporters would vote for the Democratic candidate for President over the Republican candidate.

I think the view expressed here in the original post is too dismissive of Conservatives.

Well, where else would those people go? It's not like someone who's disgusted with Maxime Bernier's language is going to vote for... Justin Trudeau's Liberal Party.
adma
« Reply #548 on: January 03, 2017, 08:44:13 PM »

Besides, Bernier's atypical-of-Quebecness could be his own best advantage (i.e. the Beauce as Quebec's Alberta, so to speak.)

And of course, he has a kind of "rugged look" more typical of some idealized image of Western conservative politicians (or Mike Harris)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #549 on: January 04, 2017, 09:27:12 PM »

As I thought she would - but on FOX!
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 36  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies