Conservative Party of Canada Leadership Race Megathread-May 27th 2017
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:29:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Conservative Party of Canada Leadership Race Megathread-May 27th 2017
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 36
Poll
Question: Will some candidates drop out of the race in order to stop O'Leary from winning?
Yes

No

Maybe

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 18

Author Topic: Conservative Party of Canada Leadership Race Megathread-May 27th 2017  (Read 102027 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #600 on: February 02, 2017, 07:46:30 PM »

Ivison: Race is still O'Leary's to lose, and Bernier's probably the only one who can stop him.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #601 on: February 06, 2017, 08:22:56 PM »

NS Tory leader, Jamie Baillie endorses O'Toole.

Somewhat surprising.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #602 on: February 07, 2017, 06:31:39 PM »
« Edited: February 07, 2017, 06:33:44 PM by RogueBeaver »

Blaney wants to abolish First Nations reserve.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #603 on: February 08, 2017, 04:26:27 PM »
« Edited: February 08, 2017, 04:29:13 PM by Adam T »

Kevin O'Leary was on the Jon McComb show on CKNW today.
http://www.cknw.com/2017/02/08/270897/

If the interview can't be heard there, if you go to 'On Demand' and then 'Audio Vault' the interview aired at 7:30 AM.

I don't support O'Leary but I don't dislike him as much as I used to.  Aside from his bombast and condescension, he's not a deranged psychopath like President Trump.  His policies are also in the mainstream.  I don't know if he's moderated his policies since he entered the race.

His focus is on competitive tax rates and trade missions and he says he would focus foreign policy on international trade.  He sounds like...Jean Chretien.

I rarely ever listen to Jon McComb, as when I'm awake at that hour I prefer to listen to Rick Cluff on the Early Edition on the CBC.  When I do listen to McComb though, or hear ads for his program on CKNW, he comes across as the fairly typical sanctimonious radio talk show host, one day complaining that government isn't doing enough to solve some problem and the next day complaining that taxes are too high.

However, he is also an experienced interviewer.  I think both sides come across.  On a couple of occasions, McComb challenges O'Leary and makes O'Leary back off somewhat from his initial claim.   A couple of other times though towards the end of the interview  McComb asks 'questions' in the form of at least 45 second long editorials.  O'Leary, in my opinion rightly so, gets tired of waiting for McComb to be quiet and starts responding while McComb is still talking.

O'Leary, as he often does, says that he has the ability to bring about '3% growth' because he is a businessman.  He gives an example of some company that contacted him wanting to move to Canada and bring 500 jobs, but says they have been stymied by provincial and municipal legislation.  
This focus on bringing jobs to Canada one foreign investment at a time reminds me of another 'blue Liberal' leader, that of Frank McKenna.  

I suggest to O'Leary if he is really interested in being a political leader that he take the advice of McKenna, an experienced politician.  When McKenna was asked if he had any interest in the Federal Liberal leadership, he said that his style was too hands on to work for Canada and only worked for a small province like New Brunswick, and, I believe he also said, that his approach to attracting foreign investment, the same as O'Leary's, wouldn't have any appreciable benefit for Canada's overall population.

O'Leary often seems more interested going after Kathleen Wynne, whose government is a disaster.  I suggest if he wants a political career that he should run in Ontario and bolster the Progressive Conservative Party there, then, should they win government, ask to be named the Economic Development minister.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #604 on: February 13, 2017, 08:23:49 AM »

Mainstreet poll of Tory members has an O'Leary-Bernier first ballot.
DL
Canada

« Reply #605 on: February 13, 2017, 08:42:31 AM »

I don't get all the hysteria about O'Leary in some quarters...once you get beyond his bombastic and obnoxious personality - he sounds like a Paul Martin Liberal...pro-business and trade and liberal on social issues (though actually Paul martin was kinda socially conservative back when he was Finance minister).

I don't like O'Leary - but its not like i like ANY of the people running to lead the Tories - at least he doesnt seem to want to pick at any scabs on xenophobia and identity issues.
adma
« Reply #606 on: February 13, 2017, 11:41:57 PM »

I don't like O'Leary - but its not like i like ANY of the people running to lead the Tories

Even Mike Chong?
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #607 on: February 14, 2017, 12:51:54 AM »

I don't get all the hysteria about O'Leary in some quarters...once you get beyond his bombastic and obnoxious personality - he sounds like a Paul Martin Liberal...pro-business and trade and liberal on social issues (though actually Paul martin was kinda socially conservative back when he was Finance minister).

I don't like O'Leary - but its not like i like ANY of the people running to lead the Tories - at least he doesnt seem to want to pick at any scabs on xenophobia and identity issues.

With his sole focus on economics I find him to be more like John Manley.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #608 on: February 14, 2017, 12:53:15 AM »

I don't like O'Leary - but its not like i like ANY of the people running to lead the Tories

Even Mike Chong?

I personally like Michael Chong, Lisa Raitt, Maxime Bernier and Andrew Saxton.  Deepak Obhrai seems to be a decent enough person, but I have no idea why he's running.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #609 on: February 14, 2017, 06:18:06 AM »

Even Mike Chong?

I personally like Michael Chong, Lisa Raitt, Maxime Bernier and Andrew Saxton.  Deepak Obhrai seems to be a decent enough person, but I have no idea why he's running.

One of my friends went to the debate in Halifax. Apparently more people were trying to meet Obhrai than a lot of more popular candidates, because he's kind of funny. My friend speculates its mainly an ego stroke.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #610 on: February 14, 2017, 06:48:31 AM »

Even Mike Chong?

One of my friends went to the debate in Halifax. Apparently more people were trying to meet Obhrai than a lot of more popular candidates, because he's kind of funny. My friend speculates its mainly an ego stroke.

Yes, I was going to write 'a likable enough person' but people might have thought I was being sarcastic due to Obama's comment to Hillary Clinton in 2008 of something like 'you're plenty likable."
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #611 on: February 14, 2017, 09:46:38 AM »

Yeah, Deepak seems to be a genuinely nice person, and is quite humourous. His candidacy is bizarre, but I guess he thought it was 'his turn' because he is the longest serving Tory MP.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #612 on: February 14, 2017, 10:02:49 AM »

Yeah, Deepak seems to be a genuinely nice person, and is quite humourous. His candidacy is bizarre, but I guess he thought it was 'his turn' because he is the longest serving Tory MP.

Tied with the longest actually.  As Yoda said "No, there is another."  Gerry Ritz was also elected in 1997.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #613 on: February 14, 2017, 12:14:05 PM »

Tied with the longest actually.  As Yoda said "No, there is another."  Gerry Ritz was also elected in 1997.

yeah, but how's Gerry's French? Wink
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #614 on: February 14, 2017, 01:35:43 PM »

I'm a registered Liberal, but I love Michael Chong.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #615 on: February 14, 2017, 04:36:25 PM »
« Edited: February 14, 2017, 04:42:30 PM by clash »

I'm a registered Liberal, but I love Michael Chong.

You're in luck, you'll probably be sharing a party with him soon. I expect Chong will pull a Jack Horner/David Orchard and cross the floor after he's crushed at the convention. It's the best move for his career.
adma
« Reply #616 on: February 14, 2017, 09:31:21 PM »

And when it comes to *span of time* served, Rob Nicholson goes back to 1984.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #617 on: February 16, 2017, 01:30:47 AM »

Having watched the Halifax debate on YouTube...I think, if I had a vote in this election, I would definitely cast my first-preference vote for Obhrai
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #618 on: February 16, 2017, 02:00:39 AM »

Having watched the Halifax debate on YouTube...I think, if I had a vote in this election, I would definitely cast my first-preference vote for Obhrai

His main issue is French. At the Quebec City debate, he read a declaration in "French" (it sounded more like some sounds vaguely sounding French and was incomprehensible).
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #619 on: February 16, 2017, 05:02:53 PM »

His main issue is French. At the Quebec City debate, he read a declaration in "French" (it sounded more like some sounds vaguely sounding French and was incomprehensible).

Very unfortunate, that. He seems really personable and likable, with an interesting life story and stances that are acceptable to every wing of the party Sad
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #620 on: February 16, 2017, 05:29:09 PM »

I share Glavin and Coyne's concerns here on the Islamophobia motion and certain winds blowing through the party generally.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #621 on: February 16, 2017, 05:31:10 PM »

Very unfortunate, that. He seems really personable and likable, with an interesting life story and stances that are acceptable to every wing of the party Sad

Ohbrai as leader would be a hilarious disaster. Forget about Ontario, the Conservatives would have to contest Alberta. With that in mind, I wholeheartedly endorse his campaign.
DL
Canada

« Reply #622 on: February 16, 2017, 06:22:17 PM »

I share Glavin and Coyne's concerns here on the Islamophobia motion and certain winds blowing through the party generally.

Here is one thing i don't understand...Conservatives were falling all over each other to support laws and resolutions that specifically combated anti-semitism, but now the same people complain about a resolution targeting Islamophobia...what's the deal is it Jews = Good and Muslims = bad?
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #623 on: February 17, 2017, 12:43:45 AM »

Here is one thing i don't understand...Conservatives were falling all over each other to support laws and resolutions that specifically combated anti-semitism, but now the same people complain about a resolution targeting Islamophobia...what's the deal is it Jews = Good and Muslims = bad?

Yes, it seems the generally conservative Canadian media has some kind of mass amnesia on the Conservative Party's anti BDS motion of only one year ago.

The Conservatives who oppose this measure over concerns over 'free speech' who supported their party's motion make no sense.

For those here who don't remember:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/conservative-motion-bds-macdonald-1.3454497

ANALYSIS
Liberals denounce and agree with Tory motion condemning Israel boycotters
All parties agree BDS tactics against Israel bad policy, but that's about all they agree on
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #624 on: February 17, 2017, 07:26:00 PM »

O'Leary with slight lead over Leitch in CPC supporters poll, with Bernier in strong 3rd. All other candidates are bit players. More importantly, Leitch and O'Leary are tied for "which candidate would you rank the last". Looks like the CPC leadership race will become an even greater dumpster fire than the Republican primary.

http://ipolitics.ca/2017/02/17/leitch-surges-in-latest-mainstreet-tory-leadership-poll/
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 36  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies