Newfoundland election, Nov 2015
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:21:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Newfoundland election, Nov 2015
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: Newfoundland election, Nov 2015  (Read 23750 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2015, 12:24:00 PM »

There are ridings that will always go Liberal in Newfoundland. The question is, is the same true for the Tories? I can see them holding on to Ferryland and Cape St. Francis.
DL
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2015, 01:06:56 PM »

I'm not sure that there are "ridings that will always go Liberal" in NL. The Liberals have been reduced to as little as 4 seats in the Williams landslides and there was a certain randomness to which seats they held on to (usually very narrowly) - in most cases it was just a particularly popular local MHA who managed to buck the trend and where had that person retired it would have certainly been a PC pick up.

One thing that COULD happen in NL over the next three weeks is that the Liberal landslide becomes such a foregone conclusion and there starts to be so much speculation as to whether there will be ANY opposition MHAs elected at all - that people start to want to elect a few strong opposition voices. I think back to the 1984 federal election where once it became clear that Mulroney was headed for the greatest landslide in Canadian history - some popular NDP and Liberal incumbents managed to buck the trend and get re-elected because people started thinking about electing an opposition.

Not saying this will happen - only that it could.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2015, 01:10:17 PM »

There are ridings that will always go Liberal in Newfoundland. The question is, is the same true for the Tories? I can see them holding on to Ferryland and Cape St. Francis.

It's certainly possible. Politics are more local in Atlantic Canada, especially in rural areas. Personally I predict the Tories and NDP will retain one seat each.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2015, 02:16:27 PM »

It's certainly possible. Politics are more local in Atlantic Canada, especially in rural areas. Personally I predict the Tories and NDP will retain one seat each.

It's looking less likely, I admit, but I stand by my prediction that the election momentum will turn against the Liberals and the final result will be

Liberal 50%
P.C 30%
NDP 20%

As I thought the polling firms had learned prior to the recent federal election, I'm not foolish enough to try to transfer aggregate electoral numbers into seat projections.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2015, 02:45:19 PM »
« Edited: November 13, 2015, 02:47:11 PM by 🍁 Hatman »

I'm not sure that there are "ridings that will always go Liberal" in NL. The Liberals have been reduced to as little as 4 seats in the Williams landslides and there was a certain randomness to which seats they held on to (usually very narrowly)

Um, no check again. Burgeo-La Poile and Cartwright-L'Anse au Clair were won by the Liberals pretty handily in 2007. Not random or close in either case. The Liberals only won three seats that year, the third (Port de Grave) I agree was both random and close (PCs actually hold it now!)

LaPoile has only ever voted PC twice and Cartwright has never voted PC since confederation.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2015, 02:51:43 PM »

Also:

Ferryland has not voted Liberal since 1966
Cape St Francis has never voted Liberal since confederation.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jack Harris won the Cape St. Francis area in the federal election.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2015, 11:00:39 PM »

RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2015, 01:54:12 PM »

Liberal rally in Placentia was cancelled due to a bomb threat. Grit campaign has been suspended for the rest of today, Ball headed back to St. John's.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2015, 05:15:42 PM »

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2015, 05:17:17 PM »

(Smid, I didn't realize you were making a map this time; just noticed your map now Tongue)

RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2015, 08:36:18 AM »

St. John's West-Abacus: 57/24/19.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2015, 02:32:59 PM »

It should be noted that this is NDP leader McCurdy's district. McCurdy trailing isn't that much of a surprise, though. In fact 308 has him trailing by even more than what this poll shows based on a proportional swing.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2015, 02:39:05 PM »

It should be noted that this is NDP leader McCurdy's district. McCurdy trailing isn't that much of a surprise, though. In fact 308 has him trailing by even more than what this poll shows based on a proportional swing.

Just wait for McCurdymania!

I've used this 'mania' line previously.  It's from a cartoon editorial I remember that showed Herb Gray looking at a newspaper with an opinion poll showing a large lead for the Liberals at the time he was the party's interim leader and thinking to himself "Well, well, well, Herbmania!"
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2015, 03:14:47 PM »

More brilliant Eric Grenier #analysis
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2015, 07:51:51 PM »

If you do not mind me asking what is your issue with Eric Grenier,
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2015, 07:47:26 AM »

Topsail-Paradise (Premier Davis's seat): 56-35-9

http://abacusdata.ca/nl-election-2015-topsail-paradise-premier-davis-in-tough-trails-rex-hillier-by-21-points/

The Liberals got 5% here in 2011.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2015, 09:22:43 AM »

That'd be the first time a premier lost their seat in post-Confederation NL history. Wowza.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2015, 09:44:38 AM »

If you do not mind me asking what is your issue with Eric Grenier,

He misleads the public with his inaccurate model, that's been proven time and time again to be extremely flawed. The media just gobbles his analysis up anyways. What was particularly unnerving was the fact that the CBC (our public broadcaster for pete's sake!) partnered with him in the federal election, allowing him to mislead an even larger audience.

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2015, 02:54:58 PM »

Breaking down Newfoundland's new map: http://canadianelectionatlas.blogspot.ca/2015/11/newfoundland-and-labradors-new.html
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2015, 02:24:54 AM »

(Smid, I didn't realize you were making a map this time; just noticed your map now Tongue)

I thought about emailing it to you when I finished it on the weekend, but decided that posting it here was simpler. I'll probably work on Saskatchewan next, unless Quebec is due next?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2015, 07:16:24 AM »

I thought about emailing it to you when I finished it on the weekend, but decided that posting it here was simpler. I'll probably work on Saskatchewan next, unless Quebec is due next?

Saskatchewan is next.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2015, 08:16:52 AM »

Abacus-Mount Pearl North: 54/37/9.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2015, 10:40:11 AM »

There was an error in my data, so here is the updated map:

Bay of Islands actually went PC (and St. George's-Humber less so)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2015, 07:39:48 AM »
« Edited: November 20, 2015, 08:23:24 AM by RogueBeaver »

Cleary's political masochism knows no bounds: down 74/16/10 in Windsor Lake.
DL
Canada

« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2015, 10:08:24 AM »
« Edited: November 20, 2015, 12:51:41 PM by DL »

I'm not at all surprised - what the hell was Cleary thinking! The ultimate humiliation for him would be to finish behind the no-name NDP candidate as well!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies