Controversy Surrounds Billboard Up in Detroit.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 09:34:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Controversy Surrounds Billboard Up in Detroit.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Controversy Surrounds Billboard Up in Detroit.  (Read 9037 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2015, 04:58:49 PM »

So it's now suddenly Israel's fault that Israel is surrounded by hostile countries that require billions of dollars in foreign aid to not attempt to exterminate six million more Jews. Gotcha.

Good God dude!
Show some dignity and stop whining like a freaking baby.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2015, 05:05:33 PM »

So it's now suddenly Israel's fault that Israel is surrounded by hostile countries that require billions of dollars in foreign aid to not attempt to exterminate six million more Jews. Gotcha.

Good God dude!

I'm not the one taking up most of this thread pissing and moaning about "muh tax dollars" when 9% of 1% of the US budget goes to military assistance to Israel.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2015, 05:34:43 PM »

Good God dude!

I'm not the one taking up most of this thread pissing and moaning about "muh tax dollars" when 9% of 1% of the US budget goes to military assistance to Israel.

The idea being offered here with the 18% figure is to cut off aid to all countries in the region including Egypt, and yes, there is no offset for whatever the economic benefits the US gets from arms sales financed from the aid. This is mostly an exercise in venting about dislike of Israel's policies, and nothing to do with the de minimus numbers relatively speaking, and thus the discussion is a mess, as Israel gets conflated with the whole region, and so forth. It's about as useful as the content of the sign itself in my opinion.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2015, 05:58:45 PM »

dumb billboard. It doesn't make any sense. First in what context?  What is the issue they want people to act or not act on?

Jonathan Pollard is an example of someone putting Israel ahead of America.

This is a live issue?

For Americans with self respect?  Yes.

So what are the good people of Detroit supposed to do about Jonathan Pollard exactly?

Here in the United States we have elections where you can pick a candidate that supports your views.  You can also write to your Congressman and Senator or call them to let them know where you stand on this issue.  In addiction since money has been declared speech you can donate money to super pacs to combat the money poured in by AIPAC.  Closer to home you can get on the internet and learn about the issues and discuss them with your family and friends.

I guarantee you 99% of Americans have no idea over 18% of our foreign aid goes to Israel and countries bordering Israel.  Just getting that number into the majority of American's heads would add a lot more perspective to the discussion.

So you are suggesting they can write Congress and say "Jonathon Pollard is a traitorous scumbag"?  And what is Congress supposed to do with this insight?   
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2015, 06:59:21 PM »

Good God dude!

I'm not the one taking up most of this thread pissing and moaning about "muh tax dollars"...

Someone posting with the monikor "Rubio Republican" is upset about people "pissing and moaning about 'muh tax dollars.'"

Classic.

The idea being offered here with the 18% figure is to cut off aid...

So does AIPAC write this hyperbolic material for Zionists to post on the web or do they come up with it on their own?  Yes, as we all know from basic math and civics classes in high school the ONLY two choices a country has when dealing with Israel is either hand over 18+% of their foreign aid budget in perpetuity or CUT OFF AID!!!  There is no other solution.  You, for example, couldn't just treat Israel like every other country and give a reasonable level of aid.

That's the problem Torie.  It's this weird brainwashing that goes on in America.  Simply treating Israel like say Sweden or Singapore means, to a Zionist, you are an antisemitic enemy of Israel and want 6 million Jews to die.  Which is absurd.  That's why the billboard resonates.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2015, 07:50:21 PM »

I find it ironic and funny how the supporters of Zionist racism are actually trying to argue against this, as if Israel is even 1/10th as important as the USA.

That's a false dichotomy that the dead-jews lobby has tried to create for quite some time, pretending that the two are diametrically opposed. They've long fantasized about transforming Israel into an enemy of the US.

But for the record, Israel's existence > America's convenience.

No, it doesn't trump our convenience.

We don't owe Israel anything, and to insinuate we do is fycking absurd and the mark of an uber Zionist mass racist.

6 million Jews < American convenience. Gotcha.

lol @ implying that six million Jews will die without American support to a rogue state that flaunts it's own nuclear weapons (and threatens to level Western cities if ever overrun, all the while throwing a sh!t fit when Iran comes close to getting their own), sells our military secrets to China, and throws missiles at our ships and then goes "lol oops Smiley"

This "Israelis will all DIE if America doesn't support their childish, rogue regime" is tired, trite, and old. Please. Nobody with half a brain and or who isn't actually brainwashed by Zionist nonsense believes it.

You're the one who admitted that Israel's existence is less important to you than America's convenience.

It is. Of course, you have no counter for anything I've said.

It's funny, we clearly decided that the existence of Kosovo was worth more than our convenience in the 90s. No one argued that this was ridiculous besides total isolationists.

The US has allies. We try to keep them in existence. This isn't a controversial point unless it's Israel.

There was actual genocide going on in Yugoslavia in the 90's.

When have Jews been genocided in the Middle East since Israel's foundation?

Go on, Rubio Republican. You're not all that smart, but surely you can answer this!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2015, 08:05:07 PM »

Could we perhaps not have this thread resemble something from CiF?

Genocide would not be the correct word at all, but the majority of Jewish Israeli families moved there from the rest of the Middle East/North Africa under less than entirely voluntary circumstances.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2015, 08:14:56 PM »

Genocide would not be the correct word at all, but the majority of Jewish Israeli families moved there from the rest of the Middle East/North Africa under less than entirely voluntary circumstances.

Yes, exactly. The insulting troll above doesn't really deserve a response, but the Middle East was full of violent purges of Jewish populations, both before the founding of Israel and after. The treatment of the Jewish communities there wasn't all that different from the way Jews were treated in most of Europe before the Holocaust. It was much less focused than the genocide of the Nazis, but these small communities knew that at any time, the locals could riot and kill them en masse. And in many cases, they did.

Probably the most blatant example was the Farhud.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farhud

And of course, in the aftermath of the founding of Israel, many countries just flat-out expelled their entire Jewish populations and stole all their belongings, with a good amount of violence against them on the way out.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2015, 08:49:05 PM »

Yes, exactly. The insulting troll above doesn't really deserve a response, but the Middle East was full of violent purges of Jewish populations, both before the founding of Israel and after. The treatment of the Jewish communities there wasn't all that different from the way Jews were treated in most of Europe before the Holocaust. It was much less focused than the genocide of the Nazis, but these small communities knew that at any time, the locals could riot and kill them en masse. And in many cases, they did.

And of course, in the aftermath of the founding of Israel, many countries just flat-out expelled their entire Jewish populations and stole all their belongings, with a good amount of violence against them on the way out.

Perhaps you wouldn't be insulted if you made actual points and not just appeals to emotion with "teh poor Jews! Sad Sad Sad Sad", with the occasional dramatic "Jews everywhere live under constant fear of DEATH."
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2015, 09:42:05 PM »

Perhaps you wouldn't be insulted if you made actual points and not just appeals to emotion with "teh poor Jews! Sad Sad Sad Sad", with the occasional dramatic "Jews everywhere live under constant fear of DEATH."

Yeah, no one cares about your blatant Jew-baiting.

No response to my actually posting about the violent purges of Jewish communities in the ME, of course. You don't care.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2015, 09:53:02 PM »
« Edited: October 25, 2015, 09:54:34 PM by NYMillennial »

Yeah, no one cares about your blatant Jew-baiting.

No response to my actually posting about the violent purges of Jewish communities in the ME, of course. You don't care.

Jew-baiting? That's some rich irony coming from the Zionist shill who brings up stuff from sixty years ago as proof that Jews in the year 2015 (decades after the events you mentioned, btw. That's a long time, Rubio Republican!) will somehow be genocided if the United States stops supporting their rogue state.

Do their neighbors hate them? To a large extent, yes. You lose all sympathy, though, when you bring that hate upon yourself by doing such white knight, goodie goodie things as not even bothering to stop illegal settlements, blockading Gaza and forcing it into extreme poverty, and acting like just being Jewish entitles you to take whatever the hell you want if it's anywhere near Jerusalem.

I care far more about the Jewish people than you do. That's why I don't support their Zionist terror-baiting leaders who recklessly and unerringly put Jewish lives on the line daily by antagonizing the sh!t out of all their neighbors as if there was no tomorrow.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2015, 12:19:28 AM »

Considering that Israel is a country created by Zionists settling in territory that prior to the Zionist movement had been largely populated to Arabs, I'd say it is indeed Israel's fault that it is surrounded by hostile countries. While that doesn't excuse that hostility or the potential results of it, it certainly explains it.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2015, 08:51:41 AM »

Considering that Israel is a country created by Zionists settling in territory that prior to the Zionist movement had been largely populated to Arabs, I'd say it is indeed Israel's fault that it is surrounded by hostile countries. While that doesn't excuse that hostility or the potential results of it, it certainly explains it.

I'm not really sure what the alternative was supposed to be? Most of the other proposals were hilariously colonialist ideas that would have likely failed, or ideas that essentially amounted to deportation to a far-off hellhole at the mercy of a hostile power. And staying put certainly wasn't an option, given the murder sprees targeting the small remaining population in Europe. So if it's anyone's fault, I would say it's Europe's for forcing them into that situation.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2015, 10:08:35 AM »

I'm not really sure what the alternative was supposed to be? Most of the other proposals were hilariously colonialist ideas that would have likely failed, or ideas that essentially amounted to deportation to a far-off hellhole at the mercy of a hostile power. And staying put certainly wasn't an option, given the murder sprees targeting the small remaining population in Europe. So if it's anyone's fault, I would say it's Europe's for forcing them into that situation.

There's the United States, Europe post-Holocaust (lol @ "murder sprees! jews! Sad Sad Sad") or really anywhere else. I don't know how disconnected from reality you are, Rubio Republican, but seeing as you're literally blaming Europe for the Jews choosing to go to Palestine and antagonizing literally every single one of their neighbors, I'm going to guess that this is a pretty bad case.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2015, 10:13:37 AM »

Just to interject a bit of reality here France is the country with the third largest Jewish population in the world and Britain has the fifth largest.  The EU as a whole has over a million Jews living there in peace.  No they are most certainly not being hunted down by murderous mobs nor being given ultimatums to move "to a far-off hellhole."

By some estimates the United States has a larger Jewish population than Israel.  By more conservative estimates the United States trails Israel... by hundreds of thousands, not millions.  Also keep in mind the Israeli population growth isn't driven by blood thirsty mobs of evil Christian Swedes chasing Jews out of Europe.  It's driven by the fact Israeli women have more children than people, Jewish or otherwise, living in developed first world countries.  They breed like rabbits.  Sure it doesn't make for as courageous a story as fleeing bloodthirsty mobs but alas that's the truth.  Not so glamorous.

The billboard rocks.  Fighting propaganda falsehoods is a good thing.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2015, 10:15:17 AM »

There's the United States, Europe post-Holocaust (lol @ "murder sprees! jews! Sad Sad Sad") or really anywhere else. I don't know how disconnected from reality you are, Rubio Republican, but seeing as you're literally blaming Europe for the Jews choosing to go to Palestine and antagonizing literally every single one of their neighbors, I'm going to guess that this is a pretty bad case.

Please read this. Facts matter.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2015, 10:37:32 AM »

From your link...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Stuff sucked for a lot of people.  Only one group though got an entire country magically created for them.  Time for equality.  Time to treat Israel like everyone else.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2015, 10:47:26 AM »

The anti-Israel crowd really has no respect for the facts or the history.  For them, Jews are colonialist, white, European oppressors and Palestinians are virtuous victims.  They don't want to know the actual history, lest it corrupt their pure hatred of the Jewish state.

Listen, if you were a Polish Jew, you had lived through the holocaust, you were homeless because Polish people took your house, you were experiencing awful anti-Semitism and pogroms, and you saw the specter of Soviet domination and oppression, what would you do?  You'd want to GTFO!!!  Right!?

And, where could you go?  We didn't have awesome magic open liberal immigration.  Europe was in ruins and didn't want a bunch of refugees.  America had strict limits on immigration between the 1920s and 1960s.  Israel was the best option for most Jewish refugees at the time.  And, it made sense.  In light of the holocaust and the history of the Jewish people, you have to understand that establishment of a Jewish state was seen as the only way forward. 
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2015, 10:51:51 AM »

From your link...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Stuff sucked for a lot of people.  Only one group though got an entire country magically created for them.  Time for equality.  Time to treat Israel like everyone else.

Notice the date there? Specifically, it was in June, 1948, one month after the State of Israel had come into existence. A bit late don't you think? Actually, when it came to the Jews during that horrible period, almost everything was a bit late tragically. Anyway, thanks for playing. I am done participating in this thread. I find it quite disgusting actually. I need a bath.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2015, 11:15:32 AM »

Yeah, facts do matter.

So where's the homeland for Gypsies? What about the one for Homosexuals? How about German blacks?

The anti-Israel crowd really has no respect for the facts or the history.  For them, Jews are colonialist, white, European oppressors and Palestinians are virtuous victims.  They don't want to know the actual history, lest it corrupt their pure hatred of the Jewish state.

Listen, if you were a Polish Jew, you had lived through the holocaust, you were homeless because Polish people took your house, you were experiencing awful anti-Semitism and pogroms, and you saw the specter of Soviet domination and oppression, what would you do?  You'd want to GTFO!!!  Right!?

And, where could you go?  We didn't have awesome magic open liberal immigration.  Europe was in ruins and didn't want a bunch of refugees.  America had strict limits on immigration between the 1920s and 1960s.  Israel was the best option for most Jewish refugees at the time.  And, it made sense.  In light of the holocaust and the history of the Jewish people, you have to understand that establishment of a Jewish state was seen as the only way forward. 

So, again, this isn't Europe's fault. Thanks for agreeing with me. The Jews wanted a homeland. Awesome. They got one at the expense of the people already living there. Those people who were displaced and their neighbors, understandably, do not like them.

What's so difficult to grasp about this? No where did I say "let's remove Israel from the map." I've made numerous points and none mentioned anything even remotely close to that. I said that:

1) Israel does not come before the United States' convenience unless we can prove that it's absolutely necessary for us to be there to prevent a genocide. And no, fearmongering bullsh!t "the Jews will all be KILLED!1111" from the Zionist crowd isn't actual evidence.

2) Israel's government continuously provokes their neighbors, gives Palestinians more of a reason to dislike them, and has precisely zero regard for the lives of innocent Israelis. When confronted on this, people such as myself are called "Jew-baiters", "the anti-Israeli" crowd, or something else equally as idiotic.

3) Israel is a rogue, untrustworthy ally. They've proven this numerous times in the past, most recently with their leaking of American military secrets to China.

Wow. What a fantastic ally! They sure deserve to have some more military aid from us!

Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #70 on: October 26, 2015, 11:35:27 AM »

So Torie do you support the laws of Vermont, Oregon, Hawaii and Alaska? Those states ban all billboards.

Oregon has restrictions on billboards (placement, how many can be erected statewide, etc.), but the state's ban on them was overturned in 2006 by the State Supreme Court on the grounds of violating freedom of speech.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2015, 11:37:01 AM »

I'm reasonably sure that there are other places on the internet to engage in pointlessly unproductive flamewars on this subject.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #72 on: October 26, 2015, 11:40:29 AM »

Sounds like a terrorist group from "Life of Brian".

What have the Romans ever done for us?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: October 26, 2015, 11:49:22 AM »
« Edited: October 26, 2015, 11:52:19 AM by Torie »

So Torie do you support the laws of Vermont, Oregon, Hawaii and Alaska? Those states ban all billboards.

Oregon has restrictions on billboards (placement, how many can be erected statewide, etc.), but the state's ban on them was overturned in 2006 by the State Supreme Court on the grounds of violating freedom of speech.

Was it a blanket ban, or a selective ban? I can see speech issues with a selective ban, but not a blanket ban, the purpose of which is aesthetics neutrally applied. And indeed, in googling the matter, it was a selective ban. That dog won't hunt - ever. Just get rid of all of the buggers, and life is beautiful, not only aesthetically, but legally. Smiley
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #74 on: October 26, 2015, 12:37:04 PM »

Yeah, you're a history-denying anti-semite and we're done here. I can only hope that this board is rid of you soon.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies