Controversy Surrounds Billboard Up in Detroit.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:20:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Controversy Surrounds Billboard Up in Detroit.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Controversy Surrounds Billboard Up in Detroit.  (Read 9051 times)
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2015, 12:38:58 PM »

And I don't see why this is a case for a ban on billboards, personally. It's offensive, especially given the historical context of "America first" being a Nazi sympathizer group, but the best response is to fight back louder and with the truth.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #76 on: October 26, 2015, 12:53:51 PM »

So it's now suddenly Israel's fault that Israel is surrounded by hostile countries that require billions of dollars in foreign aid to not attempt to exterminate six million more Jews. Gotcha.
Considering that Israel is a country created by Zionists settling in territory that prior to the Zionist movement had been largely populated to Arabs, I'd say it is indeed Israel's fault that it is surrounded by hostile countries. While that doesn't excuse that hostility or the potential results of it, it certainly explains it.

I'm not really sure what the alternative was supposed to be? Most of the other proposals were hilariously colonialist ideas that would have likely failed, or ideas that essentially amounted to deportation to a far-off hellhole at the mercy of a hostile power. And staying put certainly wasn't an option, given the murder sprees targeting the small remaining population in Europe. So if it's anyone's fault, I would say it's Europe's for forcing them into that situation.

There's the United States, Europe post-Holocaust (lol @ "murder sprees! jews! Sad Sad Sad") or really anywhere else. I don't know how disconnected from reality you are, Rubio Republican, but seeing as you're literally blaming Europe for the Jews choosing to go to Palestine and antagonizing literally every single one of their neighbors, I'm going to guess that this is a pretty bad case.

Yeah, you're a history-denying anti-semite and we're done here. I can only hope that this board is rid of you soon.

Edgy rebuttal. Perhaps you'd care to address the part where I mentioned the fact that my care for the individual Jewish people in Israel is why I find it utterly repulsive to support their government which cares not for any individual Jewish life? Oh, of course not. You'd have to admit your argument has been shot full of holes from the start then.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #77 on: October 26, 2015, 12:59:43 PM »

And I don't see why this is a case for a ban on billboards, personally. It's offensive, especially given the historical context of "America first" being a Nazi sympathizer group, but the best response is to fight back louder and with the truth.

Just to be clear, I hate billboards in general, and the predicate for their ban would have nothing to do with the content of some of them being offensive to some or most people. Rather it is about aesthetics.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #78 on: October 26, 2015, 01:05:04 PM »

Just to be clear, I hate billboards in general, and the predicate for their ban would have nothing to do with the content of some of them being offensive to some or most people. Rather it is about aesthetics.

Ah, they don't really bother me either way. Although I certainly wouldn't care if they went away.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #79 on: October 26, 2015, 01:28:51 PM »

Well this discussion has been going predictably well.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #80 on: October 26, 2015, 01:41:09 PM »

Well this discussion has been going predictably well.

Yeah that's the problem.  There needs to be a day in this country when someone can stand up and say let's treat Israel like every other country and adhere to international norms without them being labeled an "antisemite".

If that billboard was put up during the NAFTA debate and it said "America First Not Mexico" I doubt there would have been one iota of controversy.  Especially in Detroit of all places.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2015, 12:17:30 PM »

...and the sign said, "Everybody welcome. Come in, kneel down and pray"
But they passed around the plate at the end of it all, and I didn't have a penny to pay
So I got me a pen and a paper and I made up my own little sign
It said, "Thank you, Lord, for thinkin' 'bout me. I'm alive and doin' fine."
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #82 on: October 27, 2015, 05:47:24 PM »

The man behind this billboard, Paul Eisen, is a holocaust denier.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3187428/Jeremy-Corbyn-s-links-notorious-Holocaust-denier-revealed.html
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #83 on: October 28, 2015, 09:16:23 AM »

So?  He's in good company with those that agree with the billboard who are not holocaust deniers.  He's just a bigger asshole.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #84 on: October 28, 2015, 12:42:04 PM »

So?  He's in good company with those that agree with the billboard who are not holocaust deniers.  He's just a bigger asshole.

I'm sure it would be worth considering if the man behind a billboard criticizing Obamacare was a member of the KKK. This is no difference. People should know who they are supporting.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #85 on: October 28, 2015, 02:03:22 PM »

I like how you toss this out as if it really changes anything. Well, I guess the guy behind a billboard is a Holocaust denier, so now we should just become Likudniks and support expansionist foreign policy in Israel.

You're trying to muddy the waters to stifle discussion.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #86 on: October 28, 2015, 02:48:01 PM »

I like how you toss this out as if it really changes anything. Well, I guess the guy behind a billboard is a Holocaust denier, so now we should just become Likudniks and support expansionist foreign policy in Israel.

Again, would you be willing to say "Well, this KKK leader has good ideas on tax policy, so I guess it's okay that he's put up a billboard"?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #87 on: October 28, 2015, 08:01:37 PM »
« Edited: October 29, 2015, 05:08:09 AM by Ernestman »

Again, would you be willing to say "Well, this KKK leader has good ideas on tax policy, so I guess it's okay that he's put up a billboard"?

Since your strawman would likely be a Republican, it's doubtful he'd have a good tax policy.  But to use a famous example, the fact that Hitler was a vegetarian doesn't make vegetarianism bad. Not that this billboard is all that good. Using the phrase "America First" makes it abundantly clear that the sponsor was more interested in agitation than serious consideration of how much we waste in subsidizing Israel.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #88 on: October 29, 2015, 03:02:41 AM »

There's nothing wrong with the poster per se but the people who put up the poster are probably racists.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #89 on: October 29, 2015, 12:17:05 PM »

There's nothing wrong with the poster per se but the people who put up the poster are probably racists.

Which is irrelevant to the wider question of American support for Israel in foreign policy. Let's not pretend we're really talking about a billboard here.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #90 on: October 31, 2015, 11:34:43 PM »

dumb billboard. It doesn't make any sense. First in what context?  What is the issue they want people to act or not act on?

Jonathan Pollard is an example of someone putting Israel ahead of America.

This is a live issue?

For Americans with self respect?  Yes.

So what are the good people of Detroit supposed to do about Jonathan Pollard exactly?

Here in the United States we have elections where you can pick a candidate that supports your views.  You can also write to your Congressman and Senator or call them to let them know where you stand on this issue.  In addiction since money has been declared speech you can donate money to super pacs to combat the money poured in by AIPAC.  Closer to home you can get on the internet and learn about the issues and discuss them with your family and friends.

I guarantee you 99% of Americans have no idea over 18% of our foreign aid goes to Israel and countries bordering Israel.  Just getting that number into the majority of American's heads would add a lot more perspective to the discussion.
I think most Americans would be okay with about 7.5 billion dollars an year going to Israel and its neighbors.

Americans are generally unaware of how little money we spend on foreign aid.

http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2015/02/10/383875581/guess-how-much-of-uncle-sams-money-goes-to-foreign-aid-guess-again
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies