Controversy Surrounds Billboard Up in Detroit. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:49:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Controversy Surrounds Billboard Up in Detroit. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Controversy Surrounds Billboard Up in Detroit.  (Read 9164 times)
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« on: October 23, 2015, 04:25:00 PM »

Well they are right. If it was any other nation besides Israel everyone would agree.

Or if the billboard was in any other nation besides the United States everyone would agree.  Having said that we need more billboards like this one.  See my signature for why.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 09:39:27 AM »
« Edited: October 25, 2015, 10:10:16 AM by Schadenfreude »

dumb billboard. It doesn't make any sense. First in what context?  What is the issue they want people to act or not act on?

Jonathan Pollard is an example of someone putting Israel ahead of America.

Yeah.  Ridiculous we give these people $3 Billion a year and have to put up with their nonsense regarding Pollard.  That doesn't even count the other $4.5 Billion we bribe every other country that borders Israel.  Over 18% of our foreign aid goes to that small sliver of the planet.

And what do we get for thanks?  See my signature.  That type of brainwashing and propaganda should be combated.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 10:11:10 AM »

dumb billboard. It doesn't make any sense. First in what context?  What is the issue they want people to act or not act on?

This is a live issue?

For Americans with self respect?  Yes.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 10:27:02 AM »
« Edited: October 25, 2015, 10:30:41 AM by Schadenfreude »

3. I can see the Trump billboards now with the same theme, just inserting Mexico and China in lieu of Israel. I wonder what the reaction would be to those billboards?

If over 18% of our foreign aid was going to support Mexico or China and their leader came to the White House and lectured the president the way Netanyahu did they would have gotten a nice little drone attack and Americans would be dancing in the street.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 10:46:49 AM »

dumb billboard. It doesn't make any sense. First in what context?  What is the issue they want people to act or not act on?

This is a live issue?

For Americans with self respect?  Yes.

So what are the good people of Detroit supposed to do about Jonathan Pollard exactly?

Here in the United States we have elections where you can pick a candidate that supports your views.  You can also write to your Congressman and Senator or call them to let them know where you stand on this issue.  In addiction since money has been declared speech you can donate money to super pacs to combat the money poured in by AIPAC.  Closer to home you can get on the internet and learn about the issues and discuss them with your family and friends.

I guarantee you 99% of Americans have no idea over 18% of our foreign aid goes to Israel and countries bordering Israel.  Just getting that number into the majority of American's heads would add a lot more perspective to the discussion.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 04:06:28 PM »

It is. Of course, you have no counter for anything I've said.

It's funny, we clearly decided that the existence of Kosovo was worth more than our convenience in the 90s. No one argued that this was ridiculous besides total isolationists.

I'm pretty sure we aren't giving Kosvo $3 billion a year.  Stop the propaganda.

The US has allies. We try to keep them in existence. This isn't a controversial point unless it's Israel we are spending over 18% of our foreign aid on them.

Fixed if for you!
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2015, 04:13:24 PM »

Where the hell are you getting 18% from? The total US economic assistance given was 40B.

Read the thread you keep posting to.

Yeah.  Ridiculous we give these people $3 Billion a year and have to put up with their nonsense regarding Pollard.  That doesn't even count the other $4.5 Billion we bribe every other country that borders Israel.  Over 18% of our foreign aid goes to that small sliver of the planet.

And what do we get for thanks?  See my signature.  That type of brainwashing and propaganda should be combated.

Israel got less than 3B, the vast majority of which went to military R&D that the United States benefits from.

Lol!
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2015, 06:59:21 PM »

So it's now suddenly Israel's fault that Israel is surrounded by hostile countries that require billions of dollars in foreign aid to not attempt to exterminate six million more Jews. Gotcha.

Good God dude!
Show some dignity and stop whining like a freaking baby.

I'm not the one taking up most of this thread pissing and moaning about "muh tax dollars"...

Someone posting with the monikor "Rubio Republican" is upset about people "pissing and moaning about 'muh tax dollars.'"

Classic.

The idea being offered here with the 18% figure is to cut off aid...

So does AIPAC write this hyperbolic material for Zionists to post on the web or do they come up with it on their own?  Yes, as we all know from basic math and civics classes in high school the ONLY two choices a country has when dealing with Israel is either hand over 18+% of their foreign aid budget in perpetuity or CUT OFF AID!!!  There is no other solution.  You, for example, couldn't just treat Israel like every other country and give a reasonable level of aid.

That's the problem Torie.  It's this weird brainwashing that goes on in America.  Simply treating Israel like say Sweden or Singapore means, to a Zionist, you are an antisemitic enemy of Israel and want 6 million Jews to die.  Which is absurd.  That's why the billboard resonates.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 10:13:37 AM »

Considering that Israel is a country created by Zionists settling in territory that prior to the Zionist movement had been largely populated to Arabs, I'd say it is indeed Israel's fault that it is surrounded by hostile countries. While that doesn't excuse that hostility or the potential results of it, it certainly explains it.

I'm not really sure what the alternative was supposed to be? Most of the other proposals were hilariously colonialist ideas that would have likely failed, or ideas that essentially amounted to deportation to a far-off hellhole at the mercy of a hostile power. And staying put certainly wasn't an option, given the murder sprees targeting the small remaining population in Europe. So if it's anyone's fault, I would say it's Europe's for forcing them into that situation.

Just to interject a bit of reality here France is the country with the third largest Jewish population in the world and Britain has the fifth largest.  The EU as a whole has over a million Jews living there in peace.  No they are most certainly not being hunted down by murderous mobs nor being given ultimatums to move "to a far-off hellhole."

By some estimates the United States has a larger Jewish population than Israel.  By more conservative estimates the United States trails Israel... by hundreds of thousands, not millions.  Also keep in mind the Israeli population growth isn't driven by blood thirsty mobs of evil Christian Swedes chasing Jews out of Europe.  It's driven by the fact Israeli women have more children than people, Jewish or otherwise, living in developed first world countries.  They breed like rabbits.  Sure it doesn't make for as courageous a story as fleeing bloodthirsty mobs but alas that's the truth.  Not so glamorous.

The billboard rocks.  Fighting propaganda falsehoods is a good thing.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 10:37:32 AM »

From your link...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Stuff sucked for a lot of people.  Only one group though got an entire country magically created for them.  Time for equality.  Time to treat Israel like everyone else.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 01:41:09 PM »

Well this discussion has been going predictably well.

Yeah that's the problem.  There needs to be a day in this country when someone can stand up and say let's treat Israel like every other country and adhere to international norms without them being labeled an "antisemite".

If that billboard was put up during the NAFTA debate and it said "America First Not Mexico" I doubt there would have been one iota of controversy.  Especially in Detroit of all places.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies