Amazon (and the rest of the internet) is killing local businesses (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:17:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Amazon (and the rest of the internet) is killing local businesses (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: is this a good thing or a bad thing?
generally good

generally bad

mixed (waffler)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: Amazon (and the rest of the internet) is killing local businesses  (Read 690 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« on: November 02, 2015, 08:28:48 PM »

I think it's a good thing that there is expanded access to goods.  This is much more of a "free market" than going to a big box shopping mall could ever be.  That being said, I don't necessarily utilize it all that much, as I live near a cluster of locally owned businesses and I enjoy walking to buy groceries.  There are lots of small shops selling fruit and vegetables, often with great bargains for stuff that is about to go off, perfect for juicing or immediate cooking.

So, I suppose, ultimately, I think most of the small businesses have already been killed off by chains and larger shopping centers (which has its advantages, as well - in some cases, a chain may be more willing to abide by industrial regulations than a small business, depending on your circumstances, and also they tend to have more open hiring processes).  The Internet neutralizes many of the problems associated with isolated locations, and it seems far more advantageous than not that people would have expanded access to information and products.  There are plenty of small businesses making a majority of their earnings from Internet operations, too.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies