UK Parliamentary by-elections, 2015 onwards (also devolved legislatures)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:41:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK Parliamentary by-elections, 2015 onwards (also devolved legislatures)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 28
Author Topic: UK Parliamentary by-elections, 2015 onwards (also devolved legislatures)  (Read 85861 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: February 25, 2017, 01:06:21 PM »

What exactly is Corbyn and his crowd hoping for at this point in time?

Once Labour gets into an all out factional fyck pie the usual political calculations go out the window. What matters is to defeat the the other faction or at least to prevent them from winning. I guess some also have a sort of sub-Menshevik/PCI delusion that Their Time Will Come If Only They Stick At It, but the former mentality is more important.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #376 on: February 25, 2017, 01:13:16 PM »

I am skeptical of some of the results.

You shouldn't put too much stock into polling internals and you especially shouldn't put much into YouGov's. But. Corbyn is undeniably slightly less popular than lung cancer at present. Worse: he's widely seen as a joke...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #377 on: February 25, 2017, 02:23:42 PM »

Momentum's contribution to the cause in Copeland was to... er... arrange a screening in the constituency of I, Daniel Blake. Further comment is entirely superfluous.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #378 on: February 25, 2017, 03:04:44 PM »

Labour will probably perform best in at the next election in places where there is very little 2015 UKIP vote to speak of (the Tories main pool of new voters). For example Labour would probably stand a chance at holding Hampstead and Kilburn (Tory target seat 11) even in a nationwide meltdown for example. Anywhere with large Green votes should deliver reasonable performances too, though unfortunately for them the Green vote is very low in most Con-Lab marginals.

Hampstead and Kilburn may not be the best example. While I agree that it is deeply unlikely to be lost to the Tories, and I am not a particular Lib Dem fantasist, it is in that very peculiar group of seats that will have a lot of both Labour to Lib Dem and Tory to Lib Dem switchers over Brexit, and it does have a history of Lib Dem strength. I could see Labour losing it in that direction before they lose it to the Tories.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #379 on: February 25, 2017, 03:36:00 PM »

Momentum's contribution to the cause in Copeland was to... er... arrange a screening in the constituency of I, Daniel Blake. Further comment is entirely superfluous.

Tbh my thoughts watching that film where 'didn't Labour introduce the sanctions' Tongue
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #380 on: February 25, 2017, 04:30:27 PM »

What exactly is Corbyn and his crowd hoping for at this point in time? I mean, it clearly ain't working; and if the polling figures Vileplume posted about the labour brand are correct, then he is doing some serious damage to the party long term.

Obviously, sticking D Milliband in charge isn't going to save things overnight, but Corbyn as at a point where he is even damaging the radical left with his incompetence.

Bring back the eds imo
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #381 on: February 25, 2017, 11:07:28 PM »

Can another leadership election be called I don't think Corbyn would win another one.
vileplume
« Reply #382 on: February 25, 2017, 11:39:43 PM »
« Edited: February 25, 2017, 11:41:45 PM by vileplume »

Labour will probably perform best in at the next election in places where there is very little 2015 UKIP vote to speak of (the Tories main pool of new voters). For example Labour would probably stand a chance at holding Hampstead and Kilburn (Tory target seat 11) even in a nationwide meltdown for example. Anywhere with large Green votes should deliver reasonable performances too, though unfortunately for them the Green vote is very low in most Con-Lab marginals.

Hampstead and Kilburn may not be the best example. While I agree that it is deeply unlikely to be lost to the Tories, and I am not a particular Lib Dem fantasist, it is in that very peculiar group of seats that will have a lot of both Labour to Lib Dem and Tory to Lib Dem switchers over Brexit, and it does have a history of Lib Dem strength. I could see Labour losing it in that direction before they lose it to the Tories.

Thinking the Lib Dems could win Hampstead and Kilburn next time is fantasy thinking. They have zero chance of gaining any seat where they weren't at least at least a moderately close second last time (by-election pickups excepted). Here they only narrowly saved their deposit.

Deeply unlikely is pushing it, if Labour get blown out the water nationwide they'd probably be buried by in Hampstead and Kilburn by the extent of the landslide. My point was merely that the swing from Lab to Con in this kind of seat would be substantially smaller than a seat like North East Derbyshire which has a comparable majority.

Your point about the Tories losing a lot of votes to the Lib Dems is incorrect too. The Lib Dems gains in the national polls has come almost entirely at the expense of Labour. Sure there has probably been some churn with the Lib Dems gaining a handful of Tory voters in places like this while losing some votes to them in more Brexitty areas like Torbay.

If Labour do start to lose lots of remain votes to the Lib Dems (they have only lost a few as yet) then Hampstead and Kilburn would likely go Tory as Labour crash past them in a result like this:

Tory: 40% (-2)
Labour: 36% (-8)
Lib Dem: 20% (+14)
Others: 4%

However remember despite his stance on Brexit Corbyn remains much less unpopular with remain voters than leave voters.

Oh and if the boundary changes go through the new Hampstead and Golders Green would be a Tory seat anyway.
vileplume
« Reply #383 on: February 25, 2017, 11:47:16 PM »

If the Tories had squeezed into second in Stoke-on-Trent Central in 2015 and the media hadn't blown the whole thing up as Lab vs UKIP the Tories could well have run Labour very dangerously close there too by squeezing UKIP.

Hahahaha. No.

Well the Tories vote share rose without them even trying very hard so it stands to reason that if the contest hadn't been turned into a two horse Lab vs UKIP contest by the media and they'd thrown the kitchen sink at it then they would have done substantially better. Would have they have won, no, but they could have got over 30% given how badly UKIP's campaign went. Dangerously close is probably an exaggeration but they could have got closer than anyone ever thought possible.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #384 on: February 25, 2017, 11:59:54 PM »

Can another leadership election be called I don't think Corbyn would win another one.
Amazingly, the left of the party is still behind him.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #385 on: February 26, 2017, 01:19:09 AM »
« Edited: February 26, 2017, 01:20:55 AM by Frodo »

A Labour Party high-ranker is predicting that his party will take no more than 150 seats -if that- in the next general election.  That's like less than a quarter of all seats in the House of Commons, is it not?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

source
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #386 on: February 26, 2017, 06:29:13 AM »

Let's just say I am glad that I have resigned my membership of the party. What a total and utter joke.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #387 on: February 26, 2017, 02:18:17 PM »

Tbh we might as well just have another leadership election after Conference; if Jeremy is still at 24-26% in the polls, and we spend a lot of time working on the bid we might as well go down in a hail of glory.

The problem with the 2016 leadership election was that it appeared a stitch up- the resignations/cutting off voters created the idea it was rigged- Owen Smith's head of data confirmed that as the main reason why they lost. Along with the fact the two 'unity' candidates- Owen Smith and Angela Eagle both had massive flaws+ the lack of the trade union support+ the fact it was rushed.

One interesting thing that is left out- Owen's campaign raised over £1 million which is unheard of in Labour leadership elections (the campaign was handing out rail tickets to phone bank stuff like confetti)

Basically TL:DR; we have a 20% chance of getting rid of him
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #388 on: February 26, 2017, 03:23:05 PM »

I'm almost starting to wonder if a pre-election primary for a "prime ministerial candidate" couldnt be a way to dilute the Corbynites.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #389 on: February 26, 2017, 04:05:36 PM »

I'm almost starting to wonder if a pre-election primary for a "prime ministerial candidate" couldnt be a way to dilute the Corbynites.

I see the reverse offered- let the PLP elect a leader in the commons, and the party elect the 'Chairman;
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #390 on: February 27, 2017, 02:44:29 AM »

The registered supporters scheme is already going in that direction, and they seem to be even more pro-Corbyn than the membership.  (Which suggests that they're not representative of Labour voters who aren't members.)

I would agree with Blair (the poster, not the ex-PM) that the restrictions on voting were interpreted as a stitch-up and damaged Smith.  But I also didn't think Smith was a brilliant candidate: you could tell a Corbyn supporter last summer that Corbyn wasn't the candidate to win a General Election, and they wouldn't dispute this but would just say that Smith wasn't either.

So, who would be a likely candidate if Corbyn were to be challenged again?  (As opposed to a normal election after a Corbyn resignation.)
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #391 on: February 27, 2017, 08:12:53 AM »

It seems illogical to me from the LAB PLP point of view to try to oust Corybn.  These by-elections for sure demonstrate that Corybn will lead LAB into certain defeat in 2020.  But they also represent a floor for LAB support under Corybn.  Any attempt to oust Corybn will most likely fail and will only move down that floor.  Only real way out is to accept defeat in 2020, hope it is not  total wipe out, and start afresh once Corybn goes after 2020.  More leadership challenges will only make the level of 2020 defeat even worse and a bigger mountain to claim in the 2025 election.  In case it actually succeeds the new LAB leader would face either a passive pro-Corybn bloc that will turn out in low numbers in 2020 or even worse a pro-Corybn Left splinter party that would take down LAB everywhere. 
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #392 on: February 27, 2017, 10:02:55 AM »

The registered supporters scheme is already going in that direction, and they seem to be even more pro-Corbyn than the membership.  (Which suggests that they're not representative of Labour voters who aren't members.)

I would agree with Blair (the poster, not the ex-PM) that the restrictions on voting were interpreted as a stitch-up and damaged Smith.  But I also didn't think Smith was a brilliant candidate: you could tell a Corbyn supporter last summer that Corbyn wasn't the candidate to win a General Election, and they wouldn't dispute this but would just say that Smith wasn't either.

So, who would be a likely candidate if Corbyn were to be challenged again?  (As opposed to a normal election after a Corbyn resignation.)

Clive Lewis is imo the only person who could win- although I know a fair few moderates who would vote for Corbyn, as they see Clive as basically a younger, savvy Corbyn (something that is terrifying for the right of the party)

Other than that it would have to be Keir Starmer, Lisa Nandy or Dan Jarvis. I'd like Chukka or Hillary Benn to have a go- but both are off limits for the membership
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #393 on: February 27, 2017, 10:09:13 AM »

Also worth noting we'll have another by-election after Gerald Kaufman passed away- I can't remember the name of the seat but it's a 16,000 Labour majority, but was only 6,000 back in 2010 due to the high lib dem vote.

If Labour lose this seat then we should just give up
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #394 on: February 27, 2017, 10:13:43 AM »
« Edited: February 27, 2017, 10:17:37 AM by Tintrlvr »

Also worth noting we'll have another by-election after Gerald Kaufman passed away- I can't remember the name of the seat but it's a 16,000 Labour majority, but was only 6,000 back in 2010 due to the high lib dem vote.

Ha. Manchester Gorton would have been a prime Lib Dem by-election target in 2004! Will be rock-solid Labour, Greens or maybe LDs in a distant second. I think this was one of the Greens' best seats in the country in 2015 (9.8%) and one of the five seats where they came second (though by far the most distant second of the five), so could see them trying to make some effort and getting to 20-25% if they're lucky.

For what it's worth, the seat was about 62% Remain. Maybe the strongest Remain constituency in the North?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #395 on: February 27, 2017, 10:26:54 AM »

It's a bit of a mixed bag of a constituency; solidly working class and frankly outright poor for the most part, but with a big student population and general university influence. Substantial Asian population though not to the extent as is often assumed. Gorton CLP is a notorious basket case and is currently suspended.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #396 on: February 27, 2017, 10:30:43 AM »

It's a bit of a mixed bag of a constituency; solidly working class and frankly outright poor for the most part, but with a big student population and general university influence. Substantial Asian population though not to the extent as is often assumed. Gorton CLP is a notorious basket case and is currently suspended.

If the CLP is suspended does that allow the NEC to pick the candidate?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #397 on: February 27, 2017, 10:41:25 AM »

If the CLP is suspended does that allow the NEC to pick the candidate?

Don't remember 100% but I think so. But we're getting ahead of ourselves.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #398 on: February 27, 2017, 11:14:32 AM »

Kaufman's constiuency voted over 60% to remain, so I imagine the Lib Dems will run on an overtly pro-EU platform like they're doing for mayor. We'll probably see Labour hold it with a reduced majority.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #399 on: February 27, 2017, 12:42:08 PM »

Ha. Manchester Gorton would have been a prime Lib Dem by-election target in 2004! Will be rock-solid Labour, Greens or maybe LDs in a distant second. I think this was one of the Greens' best seats in the country in 2015 (9.8%) and one of the five seats where they came second (though by far the most distant second of the five), so could see them trying to make some effort and getting to 20-25% if they're lucky.

For what it's worth, the seat was about 62% Remain. Maybe the strongest Remain constituency in the North?

Not even the strongest (in fact not even the second strongest) in Manchester: both Withington (in the mid 70s) and Central were stronger if you believe the Hanretty estimates, and there were also two stronger seats in each of Liverpool, Sheffield and Leeds.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 28  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies