Which national or state-level Republicans are most likely to become Democrats?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:25:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Which national or state-level Republicans are most likely to become Democrats?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which national or state-level Republicans are most likely to become Democrats?  (Read 1325 times)
I support Sanders
Bernie2016

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 23, 2015, 06:54:42 PM »
« edited: October 23, 2015, 07:03:57 PM by I support Sanders »

Charlie Crist and Lincoln Chafee were moderate Republicans who were left behind by their Party's platforms, and then both became independents before becoming Democrats. Can you think of anyone who is likely to leave the Republican Party soon? I think John Kasich, who has already sparred over some basic moral issues with respect to health care, may realize that the Party is no longer the Party of Lincoln, Nixon, or even Reagan, and go from being a moderate Republican to a conservative Democrat. Also, George Pataki?
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 07:36:13 PM »

Charlie Crist was not a moderate Republican.  He was a Conservative who flipped on every single issue when he became a Democrat.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 07:38:11 PM »

Charlie Crist only left the GOP because Rubio was going to crush him and he didn't want to embarrass himself by losing as a sitting popular Republican Governor in a GOP Senatorial primary.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 07:47:29 PM »

Charlie Crist and Lincoln Chafee were moderate Republicans who were left behind by their Party's platforms, and then both became independents before becoming Democrats. Can you think of anyone who is likely to leave the Republican Party soon? I think John Kasich, who has already sparred over some basic moral issues with respect to health care, may realize that the Party is no longer the Party of Lincoln, Nixon, or even Reagan, and go from being a moderate Republican to a conservative Democrat. Also, George Pataki?

I just can't see any prominent Republicans switching parties. Chafee was extremely antiwar, so much so that he contemplated challenging Bush in the '04 primary over the issue. Crist, arguably, left because it was politically expedient, and it hasn't turned out to well for him. Kasich, even if he's a little more willing to compromise than some of his fellow candidates, still agrees with them on a majority of issues. Ditto Pataki, although he is much more liberal.
I support Sanders
Bernie2016

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 09:41:39 PM »

I just can't see any prominent Republicans switching parties. Chafee was extremely antiwar, so much so that he contemplated challenging Bush in the '04 primary over the issue. Crist, arguably, left because it was politically expedient, and it hasn't turned out to well for him. Kasich, even if he's a little more willing to compromise than some of his fellow candidates, still agrees with them on a majority of issues. Ditto Pataki, although he is much more liberal.
That's a great analysis. Thank you very much for your contribution. Would you say the same about Lindsey Graham? It is clear that he is just pandering to his base on social issues, he acknowledges the reality of anthropogenic climate change, and he is willing to work with Democrats to reform the immigration system and to expand Social Security. He is certainly a hawk, but so is Hillary Clinton. Any chance that Graham will leave the GOP if an extremist like Trump, Carson, or Cruz gets the nomination?
I support Sanders
Bernie2016

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 09:42:57 PM »

Charlie Crist was not a moderate Republican.  He was a Conservative who flipped on every single issue when he became a Democrat.
That's a valid point. I was teenager when Crist was Governor, and I don't remember much about his tenure as a Republican. I did, however, work on the 2014 Crist for Governor campaign, and voted for Charlie. It does appear that he flipped a majority of his opinions.
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 10:12:52 PM »

I really can't see anyone like Graham or Kasich leaving the Republican Party. Huntsman maybe just becomes an independent but who knows if he even will hold office again. I can't really see any Democrats switching either. Webb and Manchin come to mind but I doubt it.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 11:33:38 PM »

I could definitely see Jon Huntsman Jr. leaving the GOP to become an Independent... Democrat is a bit of a stretch, though. I think he still wants to have a future in public office.
I support Sanders
Bernie2016

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2015, 01:05:54 AM »

I could definitely see Jon Huntsman Jr. leaving the GOP to become an Independent... Democrat is a bit of a stretch, though. I think he still wants to have a future in public office.
I can see that, too. Gary Johnson already left, back in 2011, and has been a Libertarian since.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2015, 09:23:07 AM »

Specter and Crist were imo more centrist than most members of their party, but neither was an obvious party-switching candidate before 2008. So I think there's a chance we could be surprised.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2015, 10:50:09 AM »

Crist was not a doctrinaire conservative as governor. I remember his moving to restore voting rights to ex-felons, for example, which is at direct odds with party policy.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2015, 11:35:01 AM »

Crist was not a doctrinaire conservative as governor. I remember his moving to restore voting rights to ex-felons, for example, which is at direct odds with party policy.

Also he expanded early voting hours in 2008 to the dismay of the McCain campaign and national Republicans.
I support Sanders
Bernie2016

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2015, 12:40:58 PM »

Also he expanded early voting hours in 2008 to the dismay of the McCain campaign and national Republicans.
Both are true. Orser, I forgot about Specter. I think Susan Collins of Maine may possibly switch sometime in the coming years, assuming she struggles to win, or just barely wins (like Chafee in 2006) a primary.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2015, 09:15:22 PM »

Joseph Cao or Lisa Murkowski seem likely, as does former Republican Bloomberg.

Other than that, I don't know.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2015, 09:37:35 PM »

Being moderate does not mean that you're likely to switch parties.  Murkowski is moderate, but she represents Alaska ... There's zero reason for her to switch parties.
I support Sanders
Bernie2016

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2015, 11:42:54 PM »

Being moderate does not mean that you're likely to switch parties.  Murkowski is moderate, but she represents Alaska ... There's zero reason for her to switch parties.
That's a good point. I'm not necessarily talking about people currently in office, because they may vote to represent their constituents even if it conflicts with one's own beliefs. If the GOP succeeds in shutting down the government again, maybe Mitt Romney will switch parties.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2015, 01:39:51 PM »

Crossing the floor in a country that doesn't really have much of a tradition for it is a deadly , and possibly career-ending move. At best, a senator could flip his or her vote for majority leader (such is the situation in NY Senate). Maybe if McConnnell is toppled and replaced with some nut, then you might see Collins/Murkowski vote for a Democratic Senate leader but maintain their partisan identity. Even that could be potentially disasterous, as both would then run in the Republican primary; and history shows us that electorates - both in and out of the U.S. - have little patience with self-appointed kingmakers
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2015, 03:41:13 PM »

Crossing the floor in a country that doesn't really have much of a tradition for it is a deadly , and possibly career-ending move. At best, a senator could flip his or her vote for majority leader (such is the situation in NY Senate). Maybe if McConnnell is toppled and replaced with some nut, then you might see Collins/Murkowski vote for a Democratic Senate leader but maintain their partisan identity. Even that could be potentially disasterous, as both would then run in the Republican primary; and history shows us that electorates - both in and out of the U.S. - have little patience with self-appointed kingmakers

Is any country really okay with midterm party switching? I suppose parliamentary systems give them more headway, but even then it's not really looked at kindly.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2015, 06:29:57 PM »

Of developed countries, Israeli politicians seem to floor cross a lot, as do Japan's.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies