Homeowner associations are f[inks]ing garbage
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:22:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Homeowner associations are f[inks]ing garbage
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Homeowner associations are f[inks]ing garbage  (Read 1002 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 25, 2015, 11:52:55 PM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3287255/Feeling-blue-Couple-painted-house-bright-teal-receive-death-threats-photo-home-circulates-online.html

DEATH THREATS from one to some people over the color they painted their house.

Great example of why I'd never join one of these vile organizations under any circumstances even if I was buying a home. Of course any house I'd be interested in wouldn't be in their territory...
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 12:25:19 AM »

How's are made up of wannabe politicians and village idiots in a lot c
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 08:24:06 AM »

I am quite familiar with such associations, my home in Laguna Niguel was in one, and I found them just fine. Different strokes for different folks. Look into the theory of economic externalities BRTD. If you let your lawn go to weeds, it affects everyone on the block. The subject color of the house in question does not bother me that much, but I digress.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 08:48:45 AM »

Homeowner's associations aren't just in the suburbs. Redeveloped or historic urban areas use them, too.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 08:53:35 AM »

Homeowner's associations aren't just in the suburbs. Redeveloped or historic urban areas use them, too.

It would be fun watching BRTD go through the traps to obtain a certificate of appropriateness from the Historic Preservation Commission in Hudson, which demands architectural elevations, and has an architect on it with knowledge of historic architecture, and so forth. About half of Hudson is in historic districts. However, the one thing they don't monitor is color choices. So if BRTD wants to go psychedelic purple, he can! Smiley
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 09:51:59 AM »

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their house, but by the content of their character.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 10:53:55 AM »

Yeah, f**k HOAs.

It would be fun watching BRTD go through the traps to obtain a certificate of appropriateness from the Historic Preservation Commission in Hudson, which demands architectural elevations, and has an architect on it with knowledge of historic architecture, and so forth. About half of Hudson is in historic districts. However, the one thing they don't monitor is color choices. So if BRTD wants to go psychedelic purple, he can! Smiley

I realize that saying this out loud probably brands me as an awful neoliberal or something... but I don't much like what "historic preservation" has turned into in our urban areas, either. That is: a series of NIMBY tripwires by which privileged homeowners can mess with their neighbors and use artificial scarcity to keep their home values high and undesirables away.  I mean, I'm more than fine with landmarking individual important buildings, but neighborhood designations are kinda bullish*t.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 11:00:21 AM »
« Edited: October 26, 2015, 11:02:59 AM by Torie »

Yeah, f**k HOAs.

I realize that saying this out loud probably brands me as an awful neoliberal or something... but I don't much like what "historic preservation" has turned into in our urban areas, either. That is: a series of NIMBY tripwires by which privileged homeowners can mess with their neighbors and use artificial scarcity to keep their home values high and undesirables away.  I mean, I'm more than fine with landmarking individual important buildings, but neighborhood designations are kinda bullish*t.

It's a very complex issue no doubt about it. But historic preservation is different from snob zoning. So it is less about artificial scarcity, but can increase renovation costs. And normally historic preservation is just about facades, so it would not restrict for example turing a single family home into a multi family dwelling and so forth.

My impression by the way, in speaking with historic preservationists up in the Inwood neighborhood at the northern tip of Manhattan, is that historic preservation districts in NYC are quite toothless in restricting what landowners do, unlike in Hudson. The focus is more on individually designated historic homes, rather than entire neighborhoods.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 12:20:44 PM »

Homeowner associations are fine if you're on the board of one.  Their boards are all powerful and being a member of a HOA means you following the orders given by the star chamber boards.

Of course most of the boards are quite dysfunctional which is exactly what parliamentarians like me or lawyers smile as we type our invoices.   Smiley
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 12:22:26 PM »

Homeowner associations are fine if you're on the board of one.  Their boards are all powerful and being a member of a HOA means you following the orders given by the star chamber boards.

Of course most of the boards are quite dysfunctional which is exactly what parliamentarians like me or lawyers smile as we type our invoices.   Smiley

You're a "parliamentarian?"
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 12:26:51 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2015, 12:28:42 PM by Grumps »

Homeowner associations are fine if you're on the board of one.  Their boards are all powerful and being a member of a HOA means you following the orders given by the star chamber boards.

Of course most of the boards are quite dysfunctional which is exactly what parliamentarians like me or lawyers smile as we type our invoices.   Smiley

As in an expert in the rules of procedure that govern ordinary societies and an advisor to the chair on said rules, yes.  With a professional certification as well.  J.J. has two professional certifications and got me into the field.

I'm hired for a large convention of financial women for tomorrow presently.  Me and 500 women in a room.......ahhhhhhhh.   Wink   They're just a drive by one time client though.  
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 12:30:19 PM »

Homeowner associations are fine if you're on the board of one.  Their boards are all powerful and being a member of a HOA means you following the orders given by the star chamber boards.

Of course most of the boards are quite dysfunctional which is exactly what parliamentarians like me or lawyers smile as we type our invoices.   Smiley

As in an expert in the rules of procedure that govern ordinary societies and an advisor to the chair on said rules, yes.  With a professional certification as well.  J.J. has two professional certifications and got me into the field.

I'm hired for a large convention of financial women for tomorrow presently.  Me and 500 women in a room.......ahhhhhhhh.   Wink   They're just a drive by one time client though.  

I must admit I have trouble envisioning you in that role. You're more of a STFU, you b**ch (to pick a word at random), kind of guy. Tongue
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2015, 12:31:52 PM »

I must admit I have trouble envisioning you in that role. You're more of a STFU, you b**ch (to pick a word at random), kind of guy. Tongue

Ha ha.  I can assure you the President will be well served and trouble makers put down immediately if they step outside the rules in a big way.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2015, 02:04:49 PM »

Why not have a city ordinance that says you need to keep your lawn mowed?  They have them requiring you keep your sidewalk patch clear of snow...

Give them a $75 fine or something if their lawn gets out of control with a waiver for the disabled or if you mow it within 72 hours of the citation or something.

Keep it simple, folks.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2015, 02:05:30 PM »

What kind of idiot goes out into a suburb like Kingwood and paints their house blue?  Kingwood isn't some quaint New England mill town on a picturesque river full of liberal arts college professors, lesbian couples, and organic farmers.

Walk out your front door.  Do you see any other blue, green, or orange houses?  No?  Then probably not a good idea.

House is ugly by the way regardless of color.  The faux Victorian they bought with brick work is hideous.

And don't believe the myth.  Texas is not about small government.  All those conservatives will regulate you ass down to the height of the blade of grass in front of your house.  But they will ignore the petrochemical dump next to your kid's school.

Anyway totally normal Texas stuff.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies