Greatest Union General (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:38:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Greatest Union General (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Greatest Union General  (Read 22211 times)
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« on: April 18, 2004, 02:03:07 PM »

I vote for William T. Sherman.

"War is the remedy our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want."
-General William T. Sherman
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2004, 02:16:59 PM »

Um... as a southerner... I vote AGAINST William T. Sherman Smiley

I'll be posting one about Confederate Generals soon for all the Southerners.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2004, 02:53:21 PM »

Also, Gen. Thomas, the "Rock of Chicamugua"

Thomas! That's who I missed!
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2004, 03:42:21 PM »

Of course, Buford was less a "General" and more a "Soldier".  Kinda like Bradley in WWII.  Buford was the "GI General" of the Civil War.

Also, Sedgwick has probably the most embarrasing last words in history.  At Spottsylvania in 1964, Sedwick was examining the enemy trech lines (about 1/2 a mile away) from the Federal treanches.  When an aid commented that he should put get back down, for his own safety.  Sedwick turned to the aid and said "Son, they couldn't hit an elephant from this dis...".  Sedwick was then struck dead by a bullet to the head.

Funny last words. it was said the Stonewall Jackson said before Chancelorsville, "Where is Lieutenant Anderson." "He was killed two days ago," was a colonel's answere. "Very comendable," was General Jackson's reply.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2004, 09:55:16 PM »

McClellan was great at organization, training, and millitary tactics, but he was to damn cautious. In Yorktown, durring the peninsula campaign, McClellan fell for a clever trick. The Commander of Yorktown had only 5,200 troops in reserve. He decided to have a massive artilery barrage and then march his troops around the city as to simulat a mighty host of troops. McClellan fell for the trick, and began the siege of Yorktown.

McClellan showed no respect for President Lincoln. He called him, "The Original Gorila" and refused to cooperate. One day Seward and Lincoln went to McClellans house in D.C. McClellan came home at about 8:00 at night. After Lincoln and Seward waited for two hours it was informed to them that McClellan had gone to bed.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2004, 03:42:42 PM »

McClellan was about as worthless as a dead dog.

No one but McClellan could wait 16 hours to attack Lee at Anteitem when he had Lee's battle plan!

PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2004, 04:34:49 PM »

McClellan always assumed he was outnumbered.that's why he was overly cautious.

Edwin M. Stanton said, "We could give McClellan a million men! He would then cry the enemy had two million and sit down in the mud an yell out for three."
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2004, 05:58:29 PM »

Ironically, though McClellan was a terrible commander, he lost far fewer men during his time as commander of the Army of the Potomac than Grant did.  Of course, Grant fought about two dozen major battles, while McClellan only fought a few.

Grant lost more men because he used them. McClellan was afriad of using his army.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2004, 06:48:04 PM »
« Edited: April 19, 2004, 07:00:45 PM by PBrunsel »

At Cold Harbor 7,000 men fell in 17 minutes. It was so bloody that an entire regiment from New York was wiped out, that is all except the flag bearer. The flag bearer, a 15-year old from a small New York town, marched toward some entrenched Confederates from Alabama. Amazed at his persitance the Confederates held their fire and told him to turn back. When the flag bearer, who was told by his captain to not look back, looked back he saw he was all alone.  He did not panick, he stood still, gave an about face, and marched off. The Confederates cheered until the Yankee was out of sight.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2004, 07:00:21 PM »

At Petersburg 7,000 men fell in 17 minutes. It was so bloody that an entire regiment from New York was wiped out, that is all except the flag bearer. The flag bearer, a 15-year old from a small New York town, marched toward some entrenched Confederates from Alabama. Amazed at his persitance the Confederates held their fire and told him to turn back. When the flag bearer, who was told by his captain to not look back, looked back he saw he was all alone.  He did not panick, he stood still, gave an about face, and marched off. The Confederates cheered until the Yankee was out of sight.

That was at Cold Harbor.

I meant cold Harbor. I'll edit that.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2004, 03:48:22 PM »

After Fort Donnelson General Henry "Old Brains" Halleck spread the rumor Grant was drinking. Lincoln then stated,"Tell me the name of his brand and i'll send a bottle of it to my other generals."
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2004, 05:07:47 PM »

After Fort Donnelson General Henry "Old Brains" Halleck spread the rumor Grant was drinking. Lincoln then stated,"Tell me the name of his brand and i'll send a bottle of it to my other generals."

Another qoute from Lincoln about Grant was "I cannot spare this man.  He fights."

Lincoln tended to like western generals more then eastern ones.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies