How would you reform the banking sector?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:59:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  How would you reform the banking sector?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How would you reform the banking sector?  (Read 2567 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 27, 2015, 05:18:09 AM »

if you had it within your power, how would you change the reguaktions surrounding Wall Street and the banks. I admit I know very little specifics beyond populist blather, so I'd be interested in a more nuanced view.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 12:31:14 PM »

I think our banking system is quite good. The real problem is investment banking that sort of makes money just to make money.

The cleanest solution is to institute a progressive capital gains taxes based on holding length, which would go after day traders, speculators, shorters, etc. and reward true investment.

I would also attempt to design some sort of federal-private partner system to incentive banks to take more chances on small business loans. There are several possibilities here, and I am no expert to determine the best one. I would like to see credit unions expand, however. Perhaps raising the NCUA insurance rate and lowering the FDIC rate to get more money into them would be simple solution.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 01:49:06 AM »

There is no rational market reason for the existence of High-Frequency Trading, so I would put a cap on trading speed and drive all those rats out of business.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 02:20:56 PM »
« Edited: October 28, 2015, 02:24:02 PM by TRUMP SAYS #DeportTheIrish »

There is no rational market reason for the existence of High-Frequency Trading, so I would put a cap on trading speed and drive all those rats out of business.

Would it be feasible to just ban all trading that involved algorithms or would that be too expansive? (Perhaps on trades meeting a certain dollar total at least. Not sure of the mechanics of that because one could conceivably execute many consecutive trades, but I'm not the policymaker.)

Obviously frontrunning nerds to redefined at a minimum.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 06:40:48 PM »

Restore Glass Stegall.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 12:21:30 AM »

You're such a RINO, bro.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 02:18:36 AM »

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 02:23:43 AM »

This, among other things.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 02:24:38 AM »

The 2008 Republican nominee supports it. However, the 2016 Democratic frontrunner is too much of a DINO for this.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 04:10:56 AM »

Nationalize the banking system.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2015, 11:37:39 AM »

The 2008 Republican nominee supports it. However, the 2016 Democratic frontrunner is too much of a DINO for this.

Does a single 2016 GOP candidate support it?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2015, 12:48:53 PM »

Santorum seems to lean that way despite not taking a firm stance. I'd imagine quite a few would though no one will talk about it. Trump logically would.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2015, 01:11:13 PM »

Seriously though, nationalization sounds good, or create a government run national bank to compete with existing banks.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2015, 06:29:01 PM »

if you had it within your power, how would you change the reguaktions surrounding Wall Street and the banks. I admit I know very little specifics beyond populist blather, so I'd be interested in a more nuanced view.

I'd be interested in this too as banking really isn't my field of expertise. Perhaps a brief list of leftist/populist complaints about the banking system would help. I've noticed that banking has a sort of "mystique" about it in the minds of some, which seems to make people more... loud in their views than they would about other industries like utilities or mining.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2015, 10:27:43 PM »

Santorum seems to lean that way despite not taking a firm stance. I'd imagine quite a few would though no one will talk about it. Trump logically would.

The Federal Reserve's new capital requirement rules have the effect of incentivizing large banks to shrink in size and scope, so while it's not exactly what Glas-Steagall entailed, it does have some similarities.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2015, 08:47:33 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full-reserve_banking

+ get rid of legal tender. Under the current system, private banks create money of nothing, earn interest on every single dollar created, and the government forces everyone to use their funny money, while people think they're using a "public" currency.

It's a system of financial slavery that allows commercial banks to parasitically extract the productive output of the economy without the knowledge of the population. It was pretty easy for me to figure this out but unfortunately most people are just too retarded.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2015, 11:33:27 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full-reserve_banking

+ get rid of legal tender. Under the current system, private banks create money of nothing, earn interest on every single dollar created, and the government forces everyone to use their funny money, while people think they're using a "public" currency.

It's a system of financial slavery that allows commercial banks to parasitically extract the productive output of the economy without the knowledge of the population. It was pretty easy for me to figure this out but unfortunately most people are just too retarded.
So insightful.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2015, 12:00:28 AM »

https://books.google.com/books?id=7U1-AQAAQBAJ&pg=PA37&lpg=PA37&dq=Promstroybank&source=bl&ots=I3FTljs7Ve&sig=HKp22G8w1zQoqF7cAGzhnCwr8yM&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj7iP628LnJAhVJp4gKHTOyCqQQ6AEIOTAH#v=onepage&q=Promstroybank&f=false
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2015, 12:38:16 AM »

Family Guy Style.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies