Psssst...Wanna' see a letter from a teacher?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:07:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Psssst...Wanna' see a letter from a teacher?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Psssst...Wanna' see a letter from a teacher?  (Read 622 times)
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 16, 2005, 02:26:30 PM »

http://www.honestedu.org/edlib/v2n5/teachlet.php

Marshall Fritz
Separation of School & State Alliance
Fresno, CA

Dear Mr. Fritz,

I teach health education for grades first through sixth at XXXXXX School in XXXXXXXXX. I have been a public school teacher for the past 16 years. I am now sending in my signed Proclamation and respectfully request that I join the other "School Sakharovs."*

Ten years ago I decided it was time to tell the education establishment that something was dreadfully wrong. But when I approached the powers that be, I was merely dismissed.

When I approached my colleagues, the same ones who complained about "the system," they politely listened, then tossed me aside as too radical. After all, they would say, eliminate the public schools and what would we do for jobs?

I decided that the way to initiate reform was to get on decision making committees. But to my dismay, the majority of curriculum decisions were already made, or the choices offered were either worthless or ridiculous. There was no opportunity for intelligent dialogue, no room for opposing points of view.

I knew I couldn't do it alone, so I became active in my local union. But I soon learned that teachers'unions have nothing to do with education.

Recognizing that I was without allies, I proceeded to take matters into my own hands. I decided to teach the way I felt it was intellectually and methodically correct on my own. Luckily, the powers that be consider health education to be a minor subject, thus I was never closely scrutinized.

I threw out all of the garbage. The self-esteem programs, the alleged drug prevention programs, and I retooled the sex education programs. Basically, I threw out all of the affective nonsense and replaced it with a trivium based curriculum.

Mr. Fritz, the results are astounding! My fourth grade students know more about the structure and function of the human body than most adults. They understand the REAL reasons for not using drugs; they understand cause and effect of muscular development.

I taught my third graders Greek and Latin roots of words so they can recognize and identify medical terminology. They can also retell the exciting history of the discovery of microbes from Anton Van Leeuwenhoek (circa 1600s) to the present.

My second graders have learned to diagram and identify bones of the hands and feet.

My first graders can tell you what "osmosis" means, what "intercellular gaseous exchange" means, and exactly what a "semipermeable membrane" does.

However, I can't let my colleagues or administrators know what I am telling you. To do so would reveal that I have abandoned the state mandated curriculum. The only person I share my experiences with is XXXXXXXXXXXXX, the custodian, a homeschooling dad of four children.

I'm having a ball running an outlaw curriculum, but I know that what I am doing will have limited effect on my students. The system is too strong. I see in my upper grades (fifth and sixth) the dullness and ambivalence to learning.

I know that it is time for me to leave the public school system.

The Separation of School & State Alliance is a Godsend. While it's reassuring to know that there may be some like me around, it is a THRILL to know that there are MANY like me around, and organized!

Respectfully,
XXXXXXX
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 04:21:08 PM »

How true it is. Its funny as someone who has been homeschooled my entire life I can honestly say when I got to college I was so excited to begin a new chapter. A chapter of, what I like to call, academic competition with my peers, I am also an only child so I never knew how my own intelligence compared to others (though my Mother a former teacher and my Father a Test Engineering manager for a major company both believed me to be very smart). I must say I am disappointed that there are very, very few of my peers who enjoy learning or even like college. Of course, some people don't like me much because I am good at a multitude of subjects and I am not afraid at all to speak up and answer questions in class. I believe this is because the public school system didn't have a chance to mold me into someone who is afraid to ask questions, or views academics as nothing more than a tidious boring exercise. I believe the public school system needs to be overhauled. What ever this teacher is doing is pure genious and I appluad for being true crusader of academic enjoyment.

Okay my little rant is over.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 01:11:44 AM »

The U.S. wastes so much time on its students in elementary school...it's just sad.  Challenge the kids from a young age, don't treat them like they're stupid, and stop giving them busy work, and maybe (just maybe) they won't see school as a pointless activity.

Thank goodness I had parents who were committed in my education in the early years (unlike parents these days, who pass full responsibility for their kids' education to the schools)--and I started off in a very good school for kindergarten/first grade.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 01:20:28 AM »

What school system has elementary school students taking health in every grade?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies