Riots break out in India after Muslim barber refuses to close shop on Tuesday
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:04:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Riots break out in India after Muslim barber refuses to close shop on Tuesday
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Riots break out in India after Muslim barber refuses to close shop on Tuesday  (Read 5235 times)
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 28, 2015, 12:30:13 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/india/riot-breaks-out-after-muslim-barber-refuses-to-shut-shop-on-tuesday/story-TdTFCBmvWPDpOaM1ZczHsO.html
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 02:09:18 PM »

A nice reminder that Hinduism is an awful backwards religion. Western hipsters give them a pass and it's time for it to stop.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 03:46:55 PM »

Cory's post is a flagrant and morally irresponsible overgeneralization but

Hindutva is one of the worst religious movements in the world.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 06:11:43 PM »

EVERY SINGLE religion / belief system / philosophy has its fanatics. Atheists do too.

🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 06:22:44 PM »

Sadly these incidences will probably become more common due to demographics in India.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 07:47:33 PM »

Modi is smiling.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 01:17:50 AM »

Sadly these incidences will probably become more common due to demographics in India.

I'm curious what this means.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 01:57:25 AM »

This is not about demographics.

Prince Urusov was appointed governor of Bessarabia right after the worst pogrom in Chisinau. At the time, according to his own memoirs, he knew no more about Bessarabia than he knew about New Zealand - probably less. Nor did he know much about the Jews: he may had previously seen one or two in his entire life. Instructing him en route to his new posting the Interior Minister at the time (von Pleve) mentioned that he would like "less of that liberal Judeophilia". But the minister still mouthed the generalities about law and order: whatever the attitude about the Jews in St. Petersburg, the previous governor still had to be replaced post-pogrom, if only to mollify British newspapers.

Urusov took the minister at his word. So, when the local police an military chiefs reported to him that there were "rumors" about the new pogrom, he gave a very explicit instruction to maintain order and prevent rioting. He recalled later, that the police chief, having received the instructions, expressed visible relief. In all his previous years of service in Bessarabia, the chief had never been clear about what he was supposed to do during a pogrom. As a policeman, his instincts were to prevent disorders, but he had sensed that a pogrom was something that did not much displease his superiors, and had never been certain if punishing the rioters too harshly would be good for his standing with the authorities. An explicit and unambiguous order to prevent rioting made his job clear. To make the long story short, there was no pogrom in Chisinau as long as Urusov was governor.

I am pretty certain, if Mr. Modi were to talk clearly to his police officials, there would be a lot fewer pogroms going on.  
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 03:05:31 AM »

This is horrible, but Modi essentially let a green light on these kinds of ing people.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 05:10:10 AM »

Yeah, 'cause none of us live in countries/states that ban or seriously restrict the hours one can shop on a specific day of the week Roll Eyes
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2015, 07:38:47 AM »

What the f[inks] seriously? This is not comparable to me having to go to Wisconsin if I want to buy liquor on Sundays. It's more like if Minnesota legalized Sunday liquor sales and people rioted once liquor stores opened on Sunday.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2015, 12:25:26 PM »

EVERY SINGLE religion / belief system / philosophy has its fanatics. Atheists do too.

But some religions have a greater segment of radicals per capita and those radicals have more influence. You can't compare Christianity in Europe to Islam in North Africa or Hinduism in India.

You're making a false equivalency.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2015, 12:49:40 PM »

You should never hold an entire religion responsible for the actions of individuals.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2015, 10:08:44 PM »

But some religions have a greater segment of radicals per capita and those radicals have more influence. You can't compare Christianity in Europe

Europe has been recently relatively ok as far as religious fanaticism is concerned. But Christianity in Africa, Middle East, or, for that matter, the Americas... why not? Or, for that matter, is Balkans not Europe? Or was Europe a different continent a 100 years ago?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2015, 10:09:18 PM »

Yeah, 'cause none of us live in countries/states that ban or seriously restrict the hours one can shop on a specific day of the week Roll Eyes

Framed and hanged on a wall.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2015, 10:24:29 PM »

You should never hold an entire religion responsible for the actions of individuals.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2015, 10:52:25 PM »

... What a random religious rule.  Similar to Christians not eating fish on Fridays I guess, but who actually does that any more?

When I set up my own religion, I will stipulate that jeans are forbidden to be worn on Thursdays, and that Doritos may only be consumed between noon and 3pm on weekdays.  Breaking these rules will result in public stoning, obvs.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2015, 10:59:15 PM »
« Edited: October 29, 2015, 11:01:09 PM by tpfkaw »

Or, for that matter, is Balkans not Europe?

I believe Serbia has the lowest rate of church attendance in Europe. They aren't religious fanatics - they just don't like each other.

Even 100 years ago, I'm quite sure no Europeans ever attempted to lynch a guy for serving meat on a Friday during Lent.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2015, 11:14:59 PM »

Even 100 years ago, I'm quite sure no Europeans ever attempted to lynch a guy for serving meat on a Friday during Lent.

You clearly do not consider, at least, Russians to be European Smiley
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2015, 11:52:06 PM »

Well, the Russia of 100 years ago was far less "European" as relative to, say, the modern-day Eurozone, than Turkey is today.

But even in that case the pogroms were about economic/political/ethnic reasons, not religious fanaticism.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2015, 12:35:20 AM »

Well, the Russia of 100 years ago was far less "European" as relative to, say, the modern-day Eurozone, than Turkey is today.

But even in that case the pogroms were about economic/political/ethnic reasons, not religious fanaticism.

In exactly the same way as in the case we are talking about in this thread. Tuesday haircut is but a pretext. And, of course, the pretexts for killing Jews would frequently be a lot more overtly religious: Jews killed Jesus, Jews ritually add blood of Christian babies into their matzo, Jews show off their religion ("оказательство") etc., etc.

I am afraid, you have a very idealized view of European Christianity even quite a bit less than a 100 years ago. As well as the rather scared view of non-Christians. My ancestors have had a lot more to fear from the Christians than from pretty much anyone else until very recently.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2015, 07:13:42 AM »

It's the Sci-fi geek in me that is reminded of the fact that in Heinlein's The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress, mention is made in passing of a fictional religious group that treats Tuesday as the Sabbath.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2015, 09:50:56 PM »

The simple truth is that many religions enable and condone extreme activity such as this.

These people wouldn't have rioted because someone cut hair on a Tuesday if it weren't for their religion. Fact.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2015, 06:42:13 AM »

The simple truth is that many religions enable and condone extreme activity such as this.

These people wouldn't have rioted because someone cut hair on a Tuesday if it weren't for their religion. Fact.

First of all religons don't condone and enable extreve activity like this.

These people wouldn't have rioted, in these scenarios if they weren't religious, I agree with that, however lots of atheists groups, (normally communists) have killed religious leaders as they want to institute state atheism and they will kill any counter revolutionary. There have also been lots of religious leaders/religious people dead because of hatred for religion by atheists and anti-theists.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2015, 07:55:12 AM »

To be fair, a lot more people have been murdered for not worshiping the right god than have been murdered by a non-theist for worshiping any god.  Hell, there are two religions that can probably "win" this all by themselves.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies