Why Conservatives Love Unqualifed Black Candidates
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:03:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Why Conservatives Love Unqualifed Black Candidates
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Why Conservatives Love Unqualifed Black Candidates  (Read 6705 times)
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2015, 09:44:15 PM »
« edited: October 30, 2015, 09:45:49 PM by Likely Voter »

d32123 can you please tone it down and stop with the personal attacks. 
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2015, 11:08:04 PM »

It would be interesting to see a discussion of Dr. Carson's positions on the issues. Yes, he's religious, well educated, articulate, and thoughtful. Which of these qualities makes him "unqualified" exactly? I was under the impression that the Constitution specifies whether or not a person is qualified, and by my reading of that document, the qualifications for the office of president are quite simple; a presidential candidate must be (1) a natural born citizen of the United States, (2) a resident for 14 years, and (3) 35 years of age or older. So with this list of requirements, I am unaware of any candidate running for the office of president who would be considered "unqualified", be they black or not.

Perhaps you believe Dr. Carson would not be able to perform one or more of the specific functions a president is called on to do? If so, please indicate which one(s):
  • Sign or veto legislation
  • Act as Commander in Chief of the armed forces
  • Appoint cabinet members and key federal officials
  • Appoint justices to vacant Supreme Court seats
  • Grant pardons and reprieves
  • Negotiate with other countries
  • Influence Congress for specific legislation
  • Work with Congress on budgetary issues

Frankly, I think it would be quite interesting to see what a sharp non-lawyer, non-politician would do in the role. And despite what you may think, the activities that take up any sitting president's day are challenging to be sure, but it 'aint brain surgery...
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2015, 12:31:37 AM »

It would be interesting to see a discussion of Dr. Carson's positions on the issues. Yes, he's religious, well educated, articulate, and thoughtful. Which of these qualities makes him "unqualified" exactly? I was under the impression that the Constitution specifies whether or not a person is qualified, and by my reading of that document, the qualifications for the office of president are quite simple; a presidential candidate must be (1) a natural born citizen of the United States, (2) a resident for 14 years, and (3) 35 years of age or older. So with this list of requirements, I am unaware of any candidate running for the office of president who would be considered "unqualified", be they black or not.

What you are describing is what makes one "eligible" to be president, not what makes them "qualified".
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2015, 04:35:00 AM »

so basically anyone who can write should be elected President as long as they meet criteria set out
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2015, 06:30:36 AM »

Going back to 2000, there has been a phenomenon of conservatives supporting unqualified blacks candidates in GOP primaries.

Keyes, Cain and now Carson. Though Carson is far more serious than the first two. This also extends to down ticket races such as EW Jackson in VA two years ago.

I know the reason for this, but do others think is the reason for this phenomenon?

Hint: it isnt racism but is race related.

Maybe because they are not unqualified?
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2015, 08:18:45 AM »

Perhaps you believe Dr. Carson would not be able to perform one or more of the specific functions a president is called on to do? If so, please indicate which one(s):

Frankly, I think it would be quite interesting to see what a sharp non-lawyer, non-politician would do in the role. And despite what you may think, the activities that take up any sitting president's day are challenging to be sure, but it 'aint brain surgery...

But would he be a good President? By the enumerated requirements of the Presidency, we could never elect Madeleine Albright -- but we could in theory elect Charles Manson, who fits all the enumerated requirements.

The President has great discretionary powers. The issue is never whether someone can perform the enumerated and informal duties of the President,  but instead how he does them. Nobody can accuse either of the last two Presidents of failing to do the job as President, but the vast majority of Americans believes that one or the other was among the very worst in his choices of what he did.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2015, 08:45:39 AM »

But would he be a good President? By the enumerated requirements of the Presidency, we could never elect Madeleine Albright -- but we could in theory elect Charles Manson, who fits all the enumerated requirements.

The President has great discretionary powers. The issue is never whether someone can perform the enumerated and informal duties of the President,  but instead how he does them. Nobody can accuse either of the last two Presidents of failing to do the job as President, but the vast majority of Americans believes that one or the other was among the very worst in his choices of what he did.

Yes, Carson would be a very good President. He does not want to impose his will or policy positions on others - he wants to protect the people from anyone wishing to impose his/her policy positions on others. That's what the President is for. Protecting the people from oppression by the Congress.

Unfortunately, Obama failed in that respect as he continually imposes his policy positions on others using alternative means (there is more than one way to skin a cat).
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2015, 09:12:37 AM »

Quite right. The election process is all about citizens deciding who would make a good President, and the first step in that process is determining what qualifies as a good President: what positions a candidate has taken on various issues (and how well he or she would represent the people), the principles by which a candidate operates and makes decisions, their general demeanor, and a host of other factors. Perhaps it's semantics, but I don't believe either Bush or Obama were "unqualified" to be President, despite my having serious reservations about many of the things each has done while in office. And while I might disagree with some of the views expressed by Mr. Sanders, I would never go around stating that he is "unqualified" to be President. So basically, I think folks should stop using the word "unqualified" in this context because it is completely inaccurate. If you are saying you believe a "qualified" candidate is someone who agrees with you on most things, then no matter who the next President is, by your definition, a good portion of the country will think he or she is "unqualified".

Sorry, but words (and the ideas they are used to express) matter.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2015, 01:49:22 PM »
« Edited: October 31, 2015, 01:51:22 PM by Ogre Mage »

The Right loves unqualified candidates period, not just unqualified black ones.  Many trace the genesis of this to Sarah Palin, but I think it actually goes back to Dan Quayle.  Donald Trump, Christine O'Donnell, Todd Akin, Michele Bachmann and Rick Perry are not black.

And Dr. Carson is a horrible presidential candidate.  Just the fact alone that he publicly said he wants to abolish Medicare and Medicaid shows a level of stupidity, both politically and as a matter of policy, which should automatically remove him from contention.  The GOP "establishment" knows this is a general election deal breaker, but apparently the base is too lost in a Fox News fantasia to see reality.

hopper
United States

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2015, 03:47:21 PM »

Cain was more serious than Carson.
I think Carson is way more serious than Cain. All Cain had was 9-9-9. Even one guy I used to work with blurted out 9-9-9 in a Cain impersonation one day and I though it was funny at the time.
bobloblaw
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2015, 03:54:29 PM »

The Right loves unqualified candidates period, not just unqualified black ones.  Many trace the genesis of this to Sarah Palin, but I think it actually goes back to Dan Quayle.  Donald Trump, Christine O'Donnell, Todd Akin, Michele Bachmann and Rick Perry are not black.

And Dr. Carson is a horrible presidential candidate.  Just the fact alone that he publicly said he wants to abolish Medicare and Medicaid shows a level of stupidity, both politically and as a matter of policy, which should automatically remove him from contention.  The GOP "establishment" knows this is a general election deal breaker, but apparently the base is too lost in a Fox News fantasia to see reality.

The Castro brothers are constantly mentioned as VP candidates. Hard to find anyone more unqualified.
hopper
United States

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2015, 03:59:04 PM »

Quayle and Perry at least held elected office. O' Donnell-Nah she got lucky in the hard-right year in 2010. Akin-The McCaskill Campaign basically won the primary for him and I think just hearing since that time from McCaskill she knew there was a chance that Akin would slip up and make a mistake on the campaign trail which he did do.
hopper
United States

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2015, 04:05:00 PM »

Going back to 2000, there has been a phenomenon of conservatives supporting unqualified blacks candidates in GOP primaries.

Keyes, Cain and now Carson. Though Carson is far more serious than the first two. This also extends to down ticket races such as EW Jackson in VA two years ago.

I know the reason for this, but do others think is the reason for this phenomenon?

I don't think EW Jackson would have ever won the LT. Governor Nomination in a Republican Primary. He won in a brokered convention.
bobloblaw
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2015, 04:05:35 PM »

Dan Quayle was a sitting US Senator for 8 years. He faced and won re-election in 1986, a good Dem year. The others were all elected officials except O'Donnell. Rick Perry was certainly qualified. He just had bad views on immigration
bobloblaw
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2015, 04:06:36 PM »

I don't think EW Jackson would have ever won the LT. Governor Nomination in a Republican Primary. He won in a brokered convention.

Precisely my point. In a primary he would have faced all sorts of voters. At a convention, he was picked by the activists in the GOP
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2015, 12:13:20 AM »

Dan Quayle was a sitting US Senator for 8 years. He faced and won re-election in 1986, a good Dem year. The others were all elected officials except O'Donnell. Rick Perry was certainly qualified. He just had bad views on immigration

Vice President Quayle looked sooo "intelligent" when an elementary school student correctly spelled "potato" on the blackboard and Quayle corrected him and said he needed an "e" on the end for "potatoe."  Pretty funny that an elementary school student could spell better than the Vice President.  You can watch the video.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdqbi66oNuI

As for Rick Perry, a presidential candidate who cannot remember three things is not qualified.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2015, 12:18:25 AM »

I know from personal experience. The number one way to be on stage at a Tea Party rally is to the be the lone 14 year old or black guy there.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2015, 12:43:29 AM »

Vice President Quayle looked sooo "intelligent" when an elementary school student correctly spelled "potato" on the blackboard and Quayle corrected him and said he needed an "e" on the end for "potatoe."  Pretty funny that an elementary school student could spell better than the Vice President.  You can watch the video.  

As for Rick Perry, a presidential candidate who cannot remember three things is not qualified.

Dan Quayle is what happens when you allow affirmative action admits. No, I'm serious, he was admitted under a special affirmative action program for daddy knows the dean.
bobloblaw
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2015, 11:41:00 AM »

Or who thinks that there are 57 states.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2015, 05:19:17 PM »
« Edited: November 01, 2015, 05:38:13 PM by Ogre Mage »

Vice President Quayle looked sooo "intelligent" when an elementary school student correctly spelled "potato" on the blackboard and Quayle corrected him and said he needed an "e" on the end for "potatoe."  Pretty funny that an elementary school student could spell better than the Vice President.  You can watch the video.  

Or who thinks that there are 57 states.

Mr. Obama and Mr. Quayle really isn't a comparison which is favorable for you given Mr. Obama was elected President of the United States and graduated from Harvard Law School where he served as president of the Harvard Law Review.  Mr. Quayle attended the less prestigious Indiana University Law School (gaining admission on an "equal opportunity" program) and was not on the law review, much less president of it.  And of course his run for the Presidency of the United States didn't go anywhere for a reason.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYJVfd5WRhE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnAHsZFhRdo

A few favorite Quayle quotes ...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

LOL
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2015, 12:30:47 PM »

Racism.

Can you name a national black conservative running for office who hasn't used the word "plantation"?  Racist white people love black buffoons who give them cover to say outrageous things without being called racist.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2015, 01:35:21 PM »

Maybe we should treat black people as individuals and not expect them all to have the same views on everything.  We're talking about over 40 million people here.
bobloblaw
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2015, 01:42:22 PM »

Racism.

Can you name a national black conservative running for office who hasn't used the word "plantation"?  Racist white people love black buffoons who give them cover to say outrageous things without being called racist.

Nope, youre wrong. I said the reason why. It isnt racism, but it is race related.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2015, 03:38:10 PM »

Racism.

Nope, youre wrong. I said the reason why. It isnt racism, but it is race related.

It's racism, man.  Seriously name a single black conservative running for office that hasn't said the word "plantation" in a speech, interview, or book.  Racists whites love hiding behind a black man that says stuff like that.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2015, 03:39:19 PM »

Maybe we should treat black people as individuals and not expect them all to have the same views on everything.  We're talking about over 40 million people here.

I agree.  Why do Conservatives expect every black man to say "plantation" in their speeches and interviews?  Weird isn't it?  And they clap an cheer them on.  Very bizarre.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies