Why Conservatives Love Unqualifed Black Candidates (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:07:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Why Conservatives Love Unqualifed Black Candidates (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why Conservatives Love Unqualifed Black Candidates  (Read 6752 times)
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: October 29, 2015, 11:21:03 AM »

Keyes was the most serious of Keyes, Cain, and Carson because he had actually held a government position (Assistant Secretary of State).

Anyway, conservatives would probably rather love a qualified Black candidate, there just are none. JC Watts never ran but I'm sure he would have done well. Also, I'm sure Tim Scott will be a very strong candidate in a couple of cycles.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 11:45:51 AM »

To "prove they're not racist" and to "stick it to the libs".

It probably goes a bit deeper than this.  When White GOP voters hear a Black messenger delivering their agenda, it validates the common belief in Republican circles that a majority of racial minorities are victims of the Democratic welfare state. 

Haha. No. No one except internet libertarians think that free housing and free food are forms of oppression.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 12:31:37 AM »

It would be interesting to see a discussion of Dr. Carson's positions on the issues. Yes, he's religious, well educated, articulate, and thoughtful. Which of these qualities makes him "unqualified" exactly? I was under the impression that the Constitution specifies whether or not a person is qualified, and by my reading of that document, the qualifications for the office of president are quite simple; a presidential candidate must be (1) a natural born citizen of the United States, (2) a resident for 14 years, and (3) 35 years of age or older. So with this list of requirements, I am unaware of any candidate running for the office of president who would be considered "unqualified", be they black or not.

What you are describing is what makes one "eligible" to be president, not what makes them "qualified".
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies