The House of Speaker Paul Ryan (*General Discussion*)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:49:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The House of Speaker Paul Ryan (*General Discussion*)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The House of Speaker Paul Ryan (*General Discussion*)  (Read 2236 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 29, 2015, 01:00:29 PM »

The election for Speaker is over, after a month of turmoil following Boehner's surprise resignation announcement the day after Pope Francis addressed Congress at his invitation and after Kevin McCarthy's fall. The Speaker is supposed to be the second-most-powerful position in U.S. government, but I don't think most would describe Boehner's speakership that way.

Paul Ryan, only 45 years old, a Congressman since 1999 from a swing district in Wisconsin, the 2012 Republican nominee for Vice President alongside Mitt Romney in an election lost to President Obama and Vice President Biden, and after less than a year in his dream job as Chairman of the Ways and Means Committee, reluctantly takes the Speaker's gavel.

Now begins the age of Paul Ryan, the 62nd Speaker of the United States House of Representatives.
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 01:50:28 PM »

Sad I never thought I would say this, but poor Paul Ryan.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 02:24:22 PM »

Interestingly he is being called the 54th Speaker by some sources. I presume that comes from only counting an individual once even if they served as Speaker on two separate occasions.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 03:32:30 PM »

Anyone want to predict how long he'll last?
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 03:36:16 PM »

Less than 10 years.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 03:39:12 PM »

I was *just* thinking that, lol.

He's a young guy. Barring scandal or revolt (which seem unlikely, at least in the near-term), he'll be Speaker until the Democrats regain control. When that happens, who knows. Could be January 2017. Could be January 2029.
bballrox4717

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.65

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 03:43:39 PM »

I think he needs a Republican president or a significant budget reduction deal if he has any hope lasting past Jan 2019.
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 03:45:21 PM »

Trump running for President, Paul Ryan becoming Speaker -- this year has been filled to the brim with previously-denounced (admittedly including by myself) Atlas predictions coming true. Only a matter of time till Serious Moderate Country First Hero Jon Huntsman wins a majority of the electoral vote as an independent!
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 03:48:20 PM »

So Paul Ryan and Orrin Hatch are 2nd and 3rd in line to the presidency...

Fascinating.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 04:37:06 PM »
« Edited: October 29, 2015, 05:02:17 PM by Mehmentum »

Its conceivable that he loses re-election in 2016, the speakership is an incredibly unpopular job.  If a Democrat is elected in 2016, I expect Ryan to run into all of the same problems that Boehner has.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2015, 06:27:06 PM »

He's now going to personify a branch of government with a ~10% approval rating, in a district that voted for Barack Obama by a 5 point margin in 2008.  Good luck with that, Pauly D.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2015, 10:19:06 AM »

Until the Dems regain Gavel in 2020 or 2022. He will triangulate and make deals with Prez Clinton.
Former Senator Haslam2020
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2015, 09:18:46 PM »

My guess is, if he gets some sh*t done, he'll be on track for 2020. Speakers don't really like their job but Ryan's optimistic. He said not too long ago that he'll definitely be out of congress in 12 years. If he's speaker now, a senate bid isn't happening, neither a gubernatorial one. Strange,  a speaker possibly running for president, although he'd be a great compromise candidate I don't think he'd wanna do it.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2015, 11:56:28 PM »

He's now going to personify a branch of government with a ~10% approval rating, in a district that voted for Barack Obama by a 5 point margin in 2008.  Good luck with that, Pauly D.
If you're insinuating that he'll lose his seat, he won't.

Two Republican incumbents in more conservative districts than Ryan's were defeated by the Dems last year.  And don't tell me that no Speaker has lost re-election in his own district before.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2015, 09:30:44 AM »

He wants go back to Ryan plan which was rejected in 2012. TAX REFORM, which is tax repeal. Repeal estates tax and bring corporate taxes down to nothing, 20 percent, without closing tax loopholes, wont pass under Obama or Clinton.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2017, 02:43:29 AM »

Does anyone think someone else could do a better job than Ryan as Speaker right now?

I know it's not totally his fault... but the last 6 months have been an absolute waste. I feel like he should have changed the order of what gets pushed when, and have clearer plans from the beginning.

By some miracle, they barely got TrumpCare through the House... but if some version ever passes the Senate, I don't know if anything that results from conference committee could pass the House.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2017, 07:40:06 AM »

Does anyone think someone else could do a better job than Ryan as Speaker right now?

I know it's not totally his fault... but the last 6 months have been an absolute waste. I feel like he should have changed the order of what gets pushed when, and have clearer plans from the beginning.

By some miracle, they barely got TrumpCare through the House... but if some version ever passes the Senate, I don't know if anything that results from conference committee could pass the House.

It is his fault because he should've demanded some sort of concessions to limit the power of the Freedom Caucus types as a condition for taking the job.  That said, Paul Ryan's always been an incompetent empty suit (in that way, he's a bit like the Marco Rubio of the House), so it's no surprise he's an incompetent Speaker.  Say what you will about Pelosi, but she was great at keeping the House Democratic Caucus in line when she was Speaker.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2018, 06:13:00 PM »

Well that was short.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies