Another question
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:12:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Another question
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Another question  (Read 5949 times)
Jacob
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 21, 2003, 10:35:52 PM »

So I was thinking today about the possibility of no electoral majority for either Bush or the Democratic candidate in 2004. It's not too hard to imagine for me: If Dean or whoever the Democratic nominee is wins all the states Gore won last time, in addition to West Virginia and New Hampshire(the two most likely Dem pickups), then that would give Dean 269 Electoral votes, the same number as Bush. That would throw the election into the Republican-controlled(most likely) House of Representatives, where they would vote on it. Do you think that if Dean won the popular vote, that the Republicans would award him the presidency, or would the Republicans(albeit this time in a different branch of the government) award Bush the presidency once again. I can't even bear to think of this possibility.
DarthKosh

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2003, 10:38:59 PM »

So I was thinking today about the possibility of no electoral majority for either Bush or the Democratic candidate in 2004. It's not too hard to imagine for me: If Dean or whoever the Democratic nominee is wins all the states Gore won last time, in addition to West Virginia and New Hampshire(the two most likely Dem pickups), then that would give Dean 269 Electoral votes, the same number as Bush. That would throw the election into the Republican-controlled(most likely) House of Representatives, where they would vote on it. Do you think that if Dean won the popular vote, that the Republicans would award him the presidency, or would the Republicans(albeit this time in a different branch of the government) award Bush the presidency once again. I can't even bear to think of this possibility.

If Dean is the nom the Bush will get a big majority.
Jacob
Rookie
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2003, 10:45:25 PM »
« Edited: December 21, 2003, 10:46:23 PM by Jacob »

I disagree
Jacob
Rookie
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2003, 10:46:12 PM »

Bush won't win PA. He couldn't win it in 2000. Smiley
sny

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2003, 11:02:57 PM »

Another plausible scenario is if Dean wins the Gore states, NH, and NV (instead of WV in the above scenario).  A possible but less plausible scenario is if the GOP captures 1 of ME's districts and Dean picks Clark as VP and gets Arkansas instead of WV/NV.  

However, for all these scenarios, it seems unlikely that Dean will get the popular vote due to W's southern popularity.  Most Democratic wins are close, and the only big states that I see big wins in are NY and maybe CA.  On the Republican side, they have big wins in TX and medium-sized southern states.  In short, if it goes to the house, the Republicans will win the popular vote and the presidency.
zorkpolitics
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2003, 11:05:21 PM »

In general the Representatives have voted pretty closely along party lines in 2003, for a Presidential election, party discipline would be maximal.   (I would not be surprised if Members who didn’t vote along party lines would risk being thrown off committees and maybe out of the parties).  So I expect all Representatives would vote for their party candidate, regardless of the popular vote, which at this point would be irrelevant to deciding the President.
Remember, each state delegation gets one vote and 26 votes are needed to elect a President.  The current make-up of the House is 30 Republican, 17 Democratic and 3 tied delegations.  But it will be the incoming House that votes in case of a tie.  19 state delegations could switch party control if just one Representative was replaced with a member from the opposite party.  So at this point one can not predict how the House would vote if there was a tie in the Electoral College.
sny

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2003, 11:08:02 PM »

Sorry for the double post - this site seems to be incompatible with mozilla for posts longer than about 15 lines.  ...continuing from above...

I think in general, Democats are much more likely to get a majority in the electoral vote.  2000 was an exception since Gore did suprisingly well in a large Republican state - Florida.  I think this is due to Liebermann's presence.  

1 month back, I was expecting FL to be an easy Republican victory in 2004.  I am beginning to see a slight possibility of it being closer if senior citizens turn against the prescription drug bill.
CHRISTOPHER MICHAE
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2003, 11:39:25 PM »

I agree wholeheartedly. Dean will not come close to winning the Presidency.
Jacob
Rookie
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2003, 11:57:29 PM »

And you're a Democrat? LOL.
Jacob
Rookie
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2003, 12:44:23 AM »

Maybe he doesn't think that Dean can win, I just hope that he wants Dean to win, considering he says he's a Democrat. Smiley

You don't know Chris.  Smiley
Demrepdan

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2003, 02:22:06 AM »

Maybe he doesn't think that Dean can win, I just hope that he wants Dean to win, considering he says he's a Democrat. Smiley

Why did you quote that whole thing...and then not make any comment on it? Did you just...like it that much that you had to hear it again?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2003, 07:20:42 AM »

Why did you quote that whole thing...and then not make any comment on it? Did you just...like it that much that you had to hear it again?

It happens occasionally. It happened to me in another thread, I did comment, but it didn't turn up in my post.
jravnsbo

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2003, 11:08:17 AM »

Yes he's a moderate Democrat that acknowledges Dean is wrong for America and the Democratic party

TomAtPitt
Rookie

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2003, 11:40:35 AM »

Dont be so sure about the Dem picking up NH. Current polls give Bush a 25 point lead there.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2003, 11:55:29 AM »

Dont be so sure about the Dem picking up NH. Current polls give Bush a 25 point lead there.
But it is possible.  WV is probably the most likely Dem pickup, though, influenced by the steel tariffs.
jravnsbo

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2003, 12:36:23 PM »

anything is possible.  But that doesn't make it likely.  

As ai said on another thread tax increases by Dean or Gephardt would hurt Dems trememdnously in Anti-tax New hampshire.

Clinton didn't run on raising taxes, he did it once he got elected.
CHRISTOPHER MICHAE
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2003, 07:14:24 PM »

Jacob, could you show some respect to a dying man? Please change your quote. Reagan did both good and bad in office. He was significant in breaking down barriers and encouraging others to tear down their walls. Show some compassion. And yes, I am a Conservative Democrat, almost Republican, am Republican in nature on a number of Moral/Social issues. Those issues haven't changed in 20 years. They were as relevant and pressing 2 Decades ago as they are now.
Jacob
Rookie
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2003, 07:17:19 PM »

Jacob, could you show some respect to a dying man? Please change your quote. Reagan did both good and bad in office. He was significant in breaking down barriers and encouraging others to tear down their walls. Show some compassion. And yes, I am a Conservative Democrat, almost Republican, am Republican in nature on a number of Moral/Social issues. Those issues haven't changed in 20 years. They were as relevant and pressing 2 Decades ago as they are now.

Reagan didn't exactly show compassion to others, so why should i show compassion for him?
CHRISTOPHER MICHAE
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2003, 04:57:31 AM »

I was wondering, Mr. Fresh, if your comment: "You Don't Know Chris", was in my defense? Or,  were you saying that I didn't know what I was talking about?
DarthKosh

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2003, 12:11:02 PM »

But it is possible.  WV is probably the most likely Dem pickup, though, influenced by the steel tariffs.

If Dean is the nom then you can forget about WV.
CHRISTOPHER MICHAE
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2003, 12:13:17 PM »

Hell, we can forget the entire election, and shift our focus to 2008!

If Dean is the nom then you can forget about WV.
CHRISTOPHER MICHAE
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2003, 12:14:07 PM »

I was wondering, Mr. Fresh, if your comment: "You Don't Know Chris", was in my defense? Or,  were you saying that I didn't know what I was talking about?

Twas in your defense.  Smiley  Replying to Jacob.
Thank You, Mr. Fresh. I appreciated that. I really did and do.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2003, 01:53:04 PM »

I don't see an anti-Reagan quote in Jacob's signature...did he remove it?
CHRISTOPHER MICHAE
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2003, 01:56:35 PM »

Yes, he did. I requested that he do so, out of Respect. His quote was: "My favorite Vegetable is Ronald Reagan." I was disgusted by it because it was very disrespectful, no matter how we feel about his tenure in the White House.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2003, 02:01:51 PM »

Yes, he did. I requested that he do so, out of Respect. His quote was: "My favorite Vegetable is Ronald Reagan." I was disgusted by it because it was very disrespectful, no matter how we feel about his tenure in the White House.
Agreed.  Reagan is not my favorite president by any means, but he doesn't deserve that.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies