Obama Wins Indonesia’s Backing For Pacific Trade Pact
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:06:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Obama Wins Indonesia’s Backing For Pacific Trade Pact
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama Wins Indonesia’s Backing For Pacific Trade Pact  (Read 5159 times)
bertramhall
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 29, 2015, 07:39:40 PM »

butthis.com/news/obama-wins-indonesias-backing-for-pacific-trade-pact

Useless TPP becomes more real
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 08:09:10 PM »

I doubt this will go through anytime soon. Vietnam and Malaysia are smaller countries with more to fear from China and a more substantial base of US export-led business. It would have to be a softly, softly catchy monkey situation - a lot of powerful tycoons are based in the country who benefit from the current nationalistic trade policy and jokowi is surrounded by political hacks with domestic backers. He would have to head into the 2019 election with a strong emphasis on the issue. I would focus more on bilateral trade deals rather than these complicated multilaterals, but I have a natural desire to avoid biting off more than I can chew.

Still, it would be interesting to see what the U.S. whew would be of bringing in Indonesia, which would certainly be a huge step. I expect Phillipines, Thailand and Korea (the first one especially in surprised didn't take part, considering its economy and ties with the U.S.) to all join before Indonesia. Maybe Taiwan, if PRC doesn't have a fit.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies