Who would you like to see become Pope in the near future?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:28:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Who would you like to see become Pope in the near future?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Poll
Question: Please Vote!
Tarcisio Bertone

Sean O’Malley

Marc Ouellet

Timothy Dolan

Luis Tagle

Soane Patita Paini Mafi

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: Who would you like to see become Pope in the near future?  (Read 10306 times)
MisSkeptic
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 30, 2015, 12:16:19 AM »

Whenever the Catholic Church holds a Papal conclave to elect the next Pope, Catholics and non-Catholics alike anticipate who'll become the next Pope. It can be days, maybe even weeks till we know who will lead the Catholic Church.

Other than the smoke singling there was a successful or non-successful election, people speculate what Cardinals have the best chance of being elected. Better known as Papabili, these Cardinals stand the greatest chance out of themselves in being elected. However, as history has shown multiple times, that is not always the case. Pope John paull II being a good example.

As a non-Catholic, let alone someone who's an atheist, I enjoy watching Papal conclaves on the news. For whatever reason I enjoy seeing the audience cheer when the white smoke appears, the bells ring in the Sistine chapel and the new Pope emerging with the Cardinals by his side. There's a magical feel to it.

Which is why I ask who do you believe would become the next Pope. Yes, I know I'm jumping the gun on this one. Pope Francis can live for another decade before the next Papal conclave. And by that time many of the current Cardinals will be either dead, retired, or past the voting age of 80. Whoever will become Cardinals in the near future could easily become Papabili and elected Pope.

But let's not spoil the fun. Who do you think, out of the current 118 possible Cardinal electors, would become Pope if there was a Papal conclave today.

For my choice would to be Cardinal Seán Patrick O'Malley. Another member here mentioned O'Malley, and after checking him out, I started to appreciate his leadership abilities, his zero tolerance policy to sex abuse in the church, humility and so forth.

This is the person who I can respect. Not only is he faithful and humbled, but is not above to helping others. I really think that's great after reading about numerous controversies that the Catholic church is facing today. O'Malley is someone who I believe would be a great Pope.  
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 12:27:56 AM »

A Black person.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 06:43:48 AM »

Ben Carson? 😇
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 10:27:12 AM »

His first act would be to move all masses to Saturdays.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 10:45:09 AM »

Cardinal Wuerl, former Pittsburgher.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 04:45:43 PM »

I almost thought Sean Patrick O'Malley would be elected the current Pope.

He'll probably have a good chance again.

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 07:32:31 PM »

Any liberal and/or pro-gay would be good, and any conservative would be bad. No real preference other than that.
MisSkeptic
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2015, 03:29:17 PM »

I almost thought Sean Patrick O'Malley would be elected the current Pope.

He'll probably have a good chance again.

Yes, I agree. Hopefully he'll have a far better chance next time. Pope Francis II!
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2015, 10:02:17 PM »

An African -wouldn't it be the first time in about 1,500 years?
MisSkeptic
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2015, 10:23:24 PM »

There were Popes who were from Africa in the past. Pope Miltiades was from North Africa, and historians believe his ethnicity was Berber, but scholar Richard P. McBrien believes he was Roman. Maybe he was mixed? Who knows!

The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2015, 10:23:53 PM »

There have been 3 African Popes, but we don't know if they were Black or not, so that's why I want a Black Pope.
MisSkeptic
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2015, 10:42:02 PM »

There have been 3 African Popes, but we don't know if they were Black or not, so that's why I want a Black Pope.

You know, I think that will be very possible. Because many developing nations have strong populations of Catholics; while in the industrial nations, like in Europe, Catholic numbers are shrinking.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2015, 10:48:10 PM »

Well, last time the most likely of the African cardinals to be elected was very conservative, superstitious, and sexist, from what I remember reading about him. What the Pope believes is more important that what nationality he's from.
MisSkeptic
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2015, 10:52:12 PM »

Well, last time the most likely of the African cardinals to be elected was very conservative, superstitious, and sexist, from what I remember reading about him. What the Pope believes is more important that what nationality he's from.

Not just that but the Pope's background. Even though Pope Benedict XIV and his families didn't support the Nazi party, the media presented him as "the Nazi Pope" which I think is unfair.

However, you have to remember we live in the age where not only people can do anything about you, but make up anything about you and it'll become apart of your image.

Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2015, 11:04:29 PM »

There were Popes who were from Africa in the past. Pope Miltiades was from North Africa, and historians believe his ethnicity was Berber, but scholar Richard P. McBrien believes he was Roman. Maybe he was mixed? Who knows!

Hence "1,500 years"
Why
Unbiased
Australia

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2015, 06:13:56 AM »

I hope this Pope is the last Pope but if there must be another one then a lesbian would be good, it is what this godless institution deserves.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2015, 12:11:52 PM »
« Edited: November 05, 2015, 06:01:38 PM by Quarter Century »

I hope this Pope is the last Pope but if there must be another one then a lesbian would be good, it is what this godless institution deserves.

The heck? Why would there be a female Pope? Unless you mean a Greek Pope, from that particular island.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2015, 12:27:06 PM »

I don't suppose there are any cardinals willing to get rid of Mariology, Papal infallibility, sacerdotalism etc, replace it with the Five Solas and embrace Reformed faith are there?

Barring that, Marc Oullet because I am Canadian.
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2015, 06:54:31 PM »

I'm a huge fan of Cardinal Tagle.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2015, 06:58:54 PM »

Voted Oullet of these choices. I would like Dolan but doubt they'd pick an American. I expect the next Pope will have orthodox views but not be particularly in-your-face about it since that seems to be where the political balance hangs right now. For instance there is no way Cardinals Kasper or Sarah would get elected, at least based on what I can read from the media's recent coverage.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2015, 02:35:09 AM »

I don't suppose there are any cardinals willing to get rid of Mariology, Papal infallibility, sacerdotalism etc, replace it with the Five Solas and embrace Reformed faith are there with a continualist view on the Gifts of the Holy Spirit

Barring that, Turkson

Here tweak there a tweak.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2015, 03:00:28 AM »

O'Malley is most of what I would want in a pope. Tagle or Schönborn would also be good.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2015, 07:43:22 AM »

O'Malley is most of what I would want in a pope. Tagle or Schönborn would also be good.

O'Malley?  Stroppy 'I'm not sharing the same space with Enda Kelly', pro choice Catholic politicians should be excommunicated, backing schools throwing put 8 year old children because their parents are lesbians O'Malley?  He might throw liturgical scraps at women but that's all he brings to the table.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2015, 08:49:07 AM »
« Edited: November 10, 2015, 09:55:11 AM by 秋と修羅 »

O'Malley?  Stroppy 'I'm not sharing the same space with Enda Kelly', pro choice Catholic politicians should be excommunicated, backing schools throwing put 8 year old children because their parents are lesbians O'Malley?  He might throw liturgical scraps at women but that's all he brings to the table.

I'm familiar with some of what you're alluding to. All I can say is that here in Boston he's almost universally understood to have been improving greatly over the past few years.

However I'm on further reflection not really entirely happy with taking the chance that he hasn't and that the impression that he gives of having been doing so is an act, so Tagle or Schönborn, then, I guess.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2015, 09:04:35 AM »

A Filipino would be a pretty interesting choice, tbh.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies