Who would you like to see become Pope in the near future? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:25:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Who would you like to see become Pope in the near future? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Please Vote!
Tarcisio Bertone

Sean O’Malley

Marc Ouellet

Timothy Dolan

Luis Tagle

Soane Patita Paini Mafi

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: Who would you like to see become Pope in the near future?  (Read 10317 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« on: November 10, 2015, 03:00:28 AM »

O'Malley is most of what I would want in a pope. Tagle or Schönborn would also be good.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 08:49:07 AM »
« Edited: November 10, 2015, 09:55:11 AM by 秋と修羅 »

O'Malley is most of what I would want in a pope. Tagle or Schönborn would also be good.

O'Malley?  Stroppy 'I'm not sharing the same space with Enda Kelly', pro choice Catholic politicians should be excommunicated, backing schools throwing put 8 year old children because their parents are lesbians O'Malley?  He might throw liturgical scraps at women but that's all he brings to the table.

I'm familiar with some of what you're alluding to. All I can say is that here in Boston he's almost universally understood to have been improving greatly over the past few years.

However I'm on further reflection not really entirely happy with taking the chance that he hasn't and that the impression that he gives of having been doing so is an act, so Tagle or Schönborn, then, I guess.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 07:09:08 PM »
« Edited: March 10, 2016, 07:11:39 PM by Bow all your heads to our adored Mary Katherine. »

Still, I'm an Evangelical and think it's time Catholics sign the Ausburg Confession bringing the Matt Maher/Audry Assad wing of Catholics more into the mainstream. 

It's interesting that apparently the only people you could think of in this 'wing of Catholics' are CCM artists. It's almost as if practically no serious Catholic theologians or prelates are anywhere close to wherever this is. Also, I'm not that familiar with Maher and I hadn't heard of Assad until now, but I get the sneaking suspicion that you simply assume they're theologically simpatico with you because they have similar sh**tty aesthetic sensibilities.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 07:37:32 PM »

Still, I'm an Evangelical and think it's time Catholics sign the Ausburg Confession bringing the Matt Maher/Audry Assad wing of Catholics more into the mainstream. 

It's interesting that apparently the only people you could think of in this 'wing of Catholics' are CCM artists. It's almost as if practically no serious Catholic theologians or prelates are anywhere close to wherever this is. Also, I'm not that familiar with Maher and I hadn't heard of Assad until now, but I get the sneaking suspicion that you simply assume they're theologically simpatico with you because they have similar sh**tty aesthetic sensibilities.

I'm sure there were some at the conference I was at over the /ChristmasNew Years holidays. Look up Cardnial Leo Joseph Suenens who was Primate of Belgum. This wing started to have a resurgence in the 70's and a hotbed is in my neck of the woods (Notre Dame in South Bend)

I'm familiar with Cardinal Suenens and I know what Notre Dame is like. I'm beginning to have an idea of what 'wing' you're talking about. Its aesthetic sensibilities are in fact extremely sh**tty (seriously, I can think of Indelicates songs that would make more appropriate liturgical music than some of this material), but other than that I still don't think you understand it very well.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 09:04:52 PM »

After reading a bit about Suenens it sounds like he was simply far more liberal than the church at the time or now. So like someone who a liberal Christian would be promoting as a model for what the church should be like, not someone like JCL. Surprising.

JCL is probably referring to Suenens's support for the Catholic Charismatic Renewal movement.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 10:24:04 PM »
« Edited: November 07, 2016, 02:22:53 AM by Ah! tout est bu, tout est mangé! Plus rien à dire! »

I'd kind of like to see someone similar to Sarah on liturgy and sacramental theology, but unlike him on, well, a variety of other things. I don't know if there are any presently prominent prelates who fit that description.

EDIT: Added additional alliteration.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies