Idiocracy (2006)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:19:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Idiocracy (2006)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: "Welcome to Costco. I love you."
FF (Freedom Film)

HF (Horrible Film)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 40

Author Topic: Idiocracy (2006)  (Read 5253 times)
Lurker
Norway
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2016, 03:33:59 PM »

Chill out guys.  Like you've never looked at the creeping stupidification of modern society and wept.  Were you asleep during the Bush administration?

Oh, I think we're all well aware of what happened during the Bush administration, such as the ugliness that frustration with the admittedly bad situation brought out in some leftists.

Just curious, what exactly does this refer to? What particular sort of "ugliness" was brought out in these leftists (Who?)?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2016, 07:04:52 PM »

Chill out guys.  Like you've never looked at the creeping stupidification of modern society and wept.  Were you asleep during the Bush administration?

Oh, I think we're all well aware of what happened during the Bush administration, such as the ugliness that frustration with the admittedly bad situation brought out in some leftists.

And it's no small irony that this movie has became popular among conservatives during the Obama years.

That's because this movie predicted the Obama presidency:

Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2016, 08:17:23 PM »
« Edited: February 23, 2016, 05:01:28 AM by Bow all your heads to our adored Mary Katherine. »

Chill out guys.  Like you've never looked at the creeping stupidification of modern society and wept.  Were you asleep during the Bush administration?

Just curious, what exactly does this refer to? What particular sort of "ugliness" was brought out in these leftists (Who?)?

Intense and more or less open class-based contempt for the poor rural people who were perceived (rightly or wrongly) to be Bush's 'base'. I don't know where you're from (the flag below your username suggests Norway?), but I was living in a gentrified/hipster-infested South Jersey river town and going to a private school in the upscale Philadelphia suburbs for much of the Bush era so I saw a lot of this.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2016, 03:12:46 AM »

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2007/05/08/there-are-no-marching-morons/

This is a good commentary on Idiocracy and the scifi story it was based on.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2016, 03:15:59 AM »

Any way I could read it without providing PZ Myers with hits?
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2016, 04:44:54 AM »

Enjoyed it when it came out, like it even more now that I know that it triggers leftists.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2016, 04:57:59 AM »

Enjoyed it when it came out, like it even more now that I know that it triggers leftists.

Oh please. Umbrage at something you perceive to be advancing (inadvertently or otherwise, 'seriously' or otherwise) an evil ideology is not the same as claiming to be 'triggered' by something you find mildly challenging.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2016, 05:43:11 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
[/quote][/quote]
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2016, 07:02:09 AM »

Intense and more or less open class-based contempt for the poor rural people who were perceived (rightly or wrongly) to be Bush's 'base'. I don't know where you're from (the flag below your username suggests Norway?), but I was living in a gentrified/hipster-infested South Jersey river town and going to a private school in the upscale Philadelphia suburbs for much of the Bush era so I saw a lot of this.

Ah, that's interesting. I'm from Norway, yes, but I understand and remember what you refer to (and this of course a phenomenon that has quite a few parallells/equivalents in Europe as well). 
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2016, 02:15:53 PM »

That is good commentary. It's a shame Myers has to be so wickedly, disastrously wrong on his pet sociointellectual issue, he talks sense on a lot of other things.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2016, 03:24:43 PM »

Some people are triggered by everything.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2016, 03:37:14 PM »

I can't wait for an ideological interpretation of "The Amazing World of Gumball".
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2016, 04:31:58 PM »

Some people are triggered by everything.

And some people are triggered by nothing. The technical term for this condition is "brain death."

There's a strong irony in the fact that those of you who seem to have enjoyed the movie most are only able to defend it in terms of exactly the kind of unconcerned consumption that the movie itself satirizes.

Yeah, the 'LOL HAHAHA IT'S JUST COMEDY FUNNIES DON'T MEAN ANYTHING' argument is the actual ing worse.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2016, 06:11:50 PM »

I think a lot of people in this thread need a nice can of Brawndo, it has electrolytes.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2016, 06:43:23 PM »

At least American justice changed little in the film's universe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn200lvmTZc
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2016, 11:22:20 PM »

Chill out guys.  Like you've never looked at the creeping stupidification of modern society and wept.  Were you asleep during the Bush administration?

I find it hard to imagine that any of the South Jersey river towns are actually gentrified and "hipster-infested".  That must be a very recent phenomenon, or else you're working from a radically different baseline from mine.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2016, 12:12:03 AM »

I find it hard to imagine that any of the South Jersey river towns are actually gentrified and "hipster-infested".  That must be a very recent phenomenon, or else you're working from a radically different baseline from mine.

My suspicion is that it's the latter, but before I come to that conclusion I'd just ask what you mean by 'very recent'.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2016, 02:03:49 AM »
« Edited: February 25, 2016, 02:18:47 AM by traininthedistance »

My suspicion is that it's the latter, but before I come to that conclusion I'd just ask what you mean by 'very recent'.

My experiences of that area mostly date from the latter part of the 2000s.  So, post-2010 more or less.

(Also, this map seems to confirm my suspicions that the river towns remain significantly less wealthy than the surrounding suburbia.  I guess I'd be curious as to what you even mean by "gentrification" and "hipsters" TBH, given their general use as an ill-defined term of abuse.)
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2016, 02:16:27 AM »
« Edited: February 25, 2016, 02:19:41 AM by Bow all your heads to our adored Mary Katherine. »

I find it hard to imagine that any of the South Jersey river towns are actually gentrified and "hipster-infested".  That must be a very recent phenomenon, or else you're working from a radically different baseline from mine.

My experiences of that area mostly date from the latter part of the 2000s.  So, post-2010 more or less.

Then yeah, either we're working from different baselines or you're not familiar with Bordentown, where I lived year-round from 2004 to 2008 and then when not away at college until 2013.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2016, 02:23:49 AM »

I find it hard to imagine that any of the South Jersey river towns are actually gentrified and "hipster-infested".  That must be a very recent phenomenon, or else you're working from a radically different baseline from mine.

My experiences of that area mostly date from the latter part of the 2000s.  So, post-2010 more or less.

Then yeah, either we're working from different baselines or you're not familiar with Bordentown, where I lived year-round from 2004 to 2008 and then when not away at college until 2013.

I'm not familiar with Bordentown specifically, more the towns closer to Camden.  A quick look at Street View seems to indicate that, yeah, there's a difference.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2016, 02:56:11 AM »

I'm not familiar with Bordentown specifically, more the towns closer to Camden.  A quick look at Street View seems to indicate that, yeah, there's a difference.

I'd sometimes take the light rail to Camden to go to the aquarium and yeah, somewhere around Burlington things start to get really disadvantaged and stark.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2016, 03:04:07 AM »

Scintillating discussions aside, coincidentally this film is circulating the news as the co-writer claims he "never expected [his] movie to become a documentary".  In reference to the 2016 presidential election, of course.  Smiley

http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/270642-idiocracy-writer-i-never-expected-my-movie-to-become-a
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2016, 11:06:20 AM »
« Edited: February 25, 2016, 11:08:16 AM by King »

The eugenics-y intro was actually the best part of the movie. The rest of it was mostly dull, except for Brawndo--which is what plants crave.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2016, 05:44:14 PM »

Scintillating discussions aside, coincidentally this film is circulating the news as the co-writer claims he "never expected [his] movie to become a documentary".  In reference to the 2016 presidential election, of course.  Smiley

America is so good at making documentaries about its own society, when I saw the Trump-Palin meeting, I very felt 'Waaah South Park is real...'.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies