Office of Governor Blair- Senate Appointment and other things
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:19:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of Governor Blair- Senate Appointment and other things
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: Office of Governor Blair- Senate Appointment and other things  (Read 10217 times)
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2016, 02:32:26 PM »

Yeah, this was never an issue when pikachu appointed me to his old seat.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2016, 06:06:07 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Based on my understanding of this law, no-one should be appointed to fill the seat - as the vacancy has occurred more than two weeks before the next Assembly election.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2016, 11:56:42 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2016, 11:58:36 PM by cinyc »

Based on my understanding of this law, no-one should be appointed to fill the seat - as the vacancy has occurred more than two weeks before the next Assembly election.

Section 1-5 allows a temporary appointment to the Assembly until the special election is held next week.  As I've reminded all governors during the time I've been CJO, the replacement must be of the same party as the person who vacated his or her seat.  Every governor has chosen to ignore my advice on that.  The same-party requirement has been in and out of the law, but is currently back in it at least as long as I've been CJO.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2016, 12:29:46 PM »

Section 1-5 allows a temporary appointment to the Assembly until the special election is held next week.  As I've reminded all governors during the time I've been CJO, the replacement must be of the same party as the person who vacated his or her seat.  Every governor has chosen to ignore my advice on that.  The same-party requirement has been in and out of the law, but is currently back in it at least as long as I've been CJO.
I didn't see that.

It would help if we had an up to date Census though, but ClarkKent, JoMCaR, NHI, Twistory, Pessimistic Antineutrino, Thomas from NJ, AutumnLeaf, RGN08 and Enduro were listed as Federalists the last time the Census was updated. I believe NHI, Twistory, Pessimistic Antineutrino and AutumnLeaf would have all dropped off of the Census now (or are inactive, at least). Leaving JoMCaR (who's a Senator, IIRC) and Thomas from NJ as people who could fill the seat; Thomas from NJ hasn't posted in the Atlasia sections since 12 December. It appears that there are no viable Federalists that could be appointed.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2016, 03:55:41 PM »

I must, however as Governor follow the law. It may seem rather over the top but it would be a breach of executive power if I didn't follow the laws. I'd be open to changing the laws, but's beside the point
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2016, 05:51:23 PM »

Apologies for my lack of posting over the last couple of days-I'm moving back to uni for the next term, and have essays due in next week so I'm going to be busy
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2016, 02:38:08 PM »

'Friends it is good to be given the chance to talk to you again. It's worth first apologizing for the latest of this speech. I was going to give it once the Assembly first met, but I thought to wait for the New Years. With a new term in the Assembly it's time for a renewed focus on our aims, opportunities and hopes for the Northeast.

I'd like to thank all the Assembly members who served last term, including Clarkkent who went on to serve in the Senate, I'm sure he'll make the Northeast proud. I'd also like to thank former Speaker RGN for his service as Speaker-he was always committed, easy to talk to and happy to serve. The Northeast is about an active government, and I'm proud that we've managed to attract new players like Enduro to the region, and that they've had the chance to serve.

Now on to the Agenda for the next term. When I ran in October I committed myself to creating Jobs. And we've done this in the Northeast. Unemployment was down by 0.3%, now friends this is not enough-we must push on in the next term. I'm proud that the Northeast has lead the way, and fought for economic investment. The infrastructure scheme, the bank for small businesses and tax cuts for working families shows that we're dedicated to rebuilding our economy.

We must go further-this is why I'm proposing scrapping the Sales Tax in the Northeast. It's currently only at 0.75%, and this seems like a low amount to tax people. We've got a surplus of $5 billion, cash reserves of $85 billion and an emergency fund of $32 billion. By getting rid of the  sales tax we can put more money back into customers, get more money into business and give our economy a boost. Likewise I'm going to look into expanding the BOOST scheme I started in November to ensure that our businesses have the best possible resources. It's also by hope to sign the Enduros' bill that will support single parents, and ensure that everyone has a safety net in the Northeast.

Finally I intend to tour areas of the Northeast badly affected by the spread of Heroin Addiction. A commission is currently in place, and I've declared a health state of emergency-but we must do more. Drug addiction has harmed too many people, too many families and too many communities in our region. We should be optimistic however in the Northeast-our economy is on the mend, our assembly is active and I'm glad to see this is spreading though Atlasia. Speaker NeverAgain just passed a brilliant Surplus Bill in the Mideast, Senator Truman continues to proudly lead the Constitutional Convention and Governor Leinad, and Speaker Haslam are providing us with an active region in the South. We can do this Atlasia  
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2016, 02:38:06 PM »

Mr. Governor,

I have resigned from the Senate, necessitating your appointment of a successor.

Warmest regards,

Oakvale
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2016, 06:30:35 PM »

Since there are more than 4 weeks remaining in former Senator Oakvale's term, the governor can only name a temporary successor.  There will be a election held 7 days from now, unfortunately starting during the week, as under the relevant law, elections for Senate vacancies are to be held 7 days after the vacancy, without regard to whether it starts on a Friday and ends on a Sunday.  I'll have to research whether that means the election will start on Midnight Monday, January 18 or Midnight Tuesday, January 19. 
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2016, 06:44:47 PM »

cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2016, 07:01:35 PM »

And now we have an Assembly vacancy, no?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2016, 07:10:00 PM »

cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2016, 07:14:55 PM »
« Edited: January 11, 2016, 07:27:26 PM by cinyc »

I'll have to double check the relevant law, but I think an Assembly special election will be held this weekend, Friday, January 15 - Sunday, January 17.  Unfortunately, it won't run concurrently with the Senate election due to differences in election law.

I'll confirm this and post the official dates in my office thread once I've finalized the vote in last weekend's special election, which I am in the process of doing now.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2016, 08:31:32 PM »

Thank you for appointing me, Governor.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2016, 08:40:59 PM »

I believe Mr. Governor you have to name a replacement to the ConCon
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2016, 05:31:53 AM »

I believe Mr. Governor you have to name a replacement to the ConCon
Correct - Oakvale's position has become vacant.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2016, 06:22:09 AM »

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2016, 02:37:12 PM »

Press release

Apologies for the disorganized nature of everything going on in the office over the last couple of days-we've had a lot of movement of people with Clyde and Dkrol leaving but we're still in a strong place. I'm going to have to wait until Clyde is approved by the Senate to appoint his successor but I have a shortlist of candidates drawn up. I've also appointed myself to the ConCon, I feel that as a Governor it's the best place to fight for the regions rights, and ensure that we get the best possible deal. Atlasia depends on this.

I'll also be trying to get the budget sorted, and the appointment of a Lt. Governor
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2016, 04:20:47 PM »

Governor Blair, what do you think of the Southern Assembly election?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2016, 05:50:43 PM »

Governor Blair, what do you think of the Southern Assembly election?

I've endorsed Steelers, who's been an active and dedicated Assembly member-and who has at times been the dissenting voice when deeply controversial laws (like the blanket ban on abortion) were proposed.

I'm also happy to announce that I'm going to endorse Kingpoleon. He's been one of the top performers in the debate, and has put forward an economic plan that can get the South moving again. I fear that the South is sliding further, and further towards deeply unpopular decisions. However Leinad deserves 100% credit for turning the region around-IIRC when he became Governor the region was virtually empty and it's now one of the most active.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2016, 11:03:10 AM »

'I'm happy to announce the appointment of RGN as Lt. Governor. I've been waiting to fill this position since Senator Kent departed but decided to wait until we had a new speaker confirmed. RGN has served as Speaker in the Northeast before, and has served since June with distinction. He's a reliable and dedicated player, and I'm sure that if the worst happens he'll be able to step into the role of Governor'
pikachu
United States

« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2016, 05:09:44 PM »

I've always had a preference for sending the bills directly to the Governor's office. Anyway, these bills have passed the Assembly:

Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2016, 05:21:30 PM »

Mr Governor,

I urge you to veto this bill as some language doesn't make sense like the Northeast administrating a citizenship test. If this bills is signed into law, as a private citizen I may have to sue the Northeast
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2016, 07:37:12 AM »

Mr Governor,

I urge you to veto this bill as some language doesn't make sense like the Northeast administrating a citizenship test. If this bills is signed into law, as a private citizen I may have to sue the Northeast

There's no reason to sue the Northeast Mr Secretary I've already vetoed the bill. See my remarks I've quoted below

VETO

I have several concerns about this bill.

1.) The Northeast, as a region doesn't have the power to settle immigration. As I said before the power rests with the Federal Government; we need to wait for them to release a plan before we can act.

2.) The bill also forces refugees to take a citizenship test straight away- this doesn't seem fair at all considering many refugees have just came from war zones-we should allow for integration before making them take a 99 question test.

3.) The bill imposes too rigid limits on refugees

I support refugees-this veto shouldn't be seen as anything that disproves that

[/quote]

X Governor Blair
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2016, 01:12:37 AM »

Governor - Northeast Representative Clyde1998 resigned on Sunday.  There will be a special election to fill the seat this upcoming weekend, running concurrently with the constitutional amendment vote.   You may name a temporary successor, who theoretically needs to be from the same party as Clyde1998.  Clyde1998 is currently a member of the Labour Party.  I'm not sure he was when he was elected, but that's probably irrelevant, anyway.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies