political divides of sports team fans
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:57:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  political divides of sports team fans
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: political divides of sports team fans  (Read 9433 times)
Rockefeller GOP
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2015, 10:15:03 PM »

If you're including college football teams, I can say that the UW vs. WSU divide can definitely have some political overtones. Ask a diehard UW fan to describe a typical WSU supporter, and they'll give you a bunch of Republican/Tea Party stereotypes (country hick, uneducated, redneck). Ask as diehard WSU fan to describe a typical UW supporter, and you'll get a bunch of stereotypes of Democrats (elitist, snob, pothead, etc.)

Funny how the stereotypes of what types of people are Republicans and what types of people are Democrats vary a ton by where you live apparently.  Especially funny, because wasn't there an article showing that Tea Partiers are actually better educated and have higher incomes than the general population?
CapoteMonster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.49, S: -2.61

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2015, 08:29:20 PM »

[/quote]

Well the stereotypes aren't exactly wrong, from what I've seen. Tongue

I'm pretty sure Oregon and Oregon State have a similar, but slightly less obvious divide too.
[/quote]

I can't say I disagree.

Oregon has the interesting added factor of having the support of the anarchist subculture in Eugene. It's kind of like the Oakland Raiders of the Pac-12.
[/quote]

OSU and Orgeon fans are both really liberal since Coravlis is close to Portland and Eugene is Eugene. It would be like me debating who's more liberal between Stanford and Berkeley
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2015, 08:21:31 PM »

Have to agree with some that if you are a White Sox fan you are more likely to be a Democrat and blue collar, whereas Cubs fans are made up of upper class Republicans and Whole Foods Democrats.

White trash Republicans are overwhelmingly Cardinals fans... Oops did I say that out loud? Good.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2015, 08:27:37 PM »
« Edited: December 05, 2015, 11:32:14 PM by Governor Illiniwek »

Also some insight on the state of Michigan. Michigan State fans are your blue collar, working and middle class Republicans, mostly from the central and somewhat western (Conservative) side of the state, while Michigan fans are your Democrats and rich Republicans from Detroit, and pretty much anyone from the backwoods of Michigan who haven't come close to sniffing a university.

Any ohio $tate fan is just a white trash Republican. Oops I did it again!
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2015, 03:54:52 PM »
« Edited: December 06, 2015, 04:00:57 PM by smilo »

I'm curious as to how the North Carolina foursome play out politically. Obviously Duke is stereotyped as the preppy Yankee Republican school, but I'm not sure if that continues to this day...I know a few of liberal, young Asians who either go there or are at least part of the national fan base. Maybe that's just personal bias and/or these people will be more conservative later on (since most youngs lean liberal anyway).

NC State was mocked as a "farmer's school" (if you consider that mocking), so I'd imagine that's somewhat right-wing as well.

UNC has to be the most liberal of the four. I'd be shocked any other way, but I don't think it's quite as liberal as you'd expect from an elite state school. (More conservative than UVA and Austin, I'm guessing?)

That leaves Wake, which I have absolutely no clue on. Religious roots, out in the mountains. Would lead you to think more GOP than at least UNC, but I'm not sure how it stacks up to the other two in the rivalry. Any locals have a thought?

As for football in PA, Penn State is highly GOP-leaning obviously being in the middle of nowhere. Pitt has far more Democrats (though overall, Penn State has massive advantages with both groups).
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2015, 06:23:03 PM »
« Edited: December 07, 2015, 06:25:53 PM by Wolverine22 »

Also some insight on the state of Michigan. Michigan State fans are your blue collar, working and middle class Republicans, mostly from the central and somewhat western (Conservative) side of the state, while Michigan fans are your Democrats and rich Republicans from Detroit, and pretty much anyone from the backwoods of Michigan who haven't come close to sniffing a university.

Any ohio $tate fan is just a white trash Republican. Oops I did it again!

Having been attending Michigan games regularly since 1999, I can tell you that we (unfortunately) have our fair share of old, fat, white, gun-toting, libertarian/right-wing reactionaries that come to the games. Michigan State can have them. But I do remember the Michigan/Michigan State 2004 triple overtime classic when somebody took a Kerry Edwards rally sign and covered the word "Kerry" with duct tape and wrote in big block letters "BRAYLON."

(P.S. If you ever wondered where my username comes from, there you go.)
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2015, 07:34:37 PM »

I imagine that Michigan would have a more left-leaning fanbase since Ann Arbor is historically (and possibly still) a fairly radical college town.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2015, 10:07:36 PM »

I'm curious as to how the North Carolina foursome play out politically. Obviously Duke is stereotyped as the preppy Yankee Republican school, but I'm not sure if that continues to this day...I know a few of liberal, young Asians who either go there or are at least part of the national fan base. Maybe that's just personal bias and/or these people will be more conservative later on (since most youngs lean liberal anyway).

NC State was mocked as a "farmer's school" (if you consider that mocking), so I'd imagine that's somewhat right-wing as well.

UNC has to be the most liberal of the four. I'd be shocked any other way, but I don't think it's quite as liberal as you'd expect from an elite state school. (More conservative than UVA and Austin, I'm guessing?)

That leaves Wake, which I have absolutely no clue on. Religious roots, out in the mountains. Would lead you to think more GOP than at least UNC, but I'm not sure how it stacks up to the other two in the rivalry. Any locals have a thought?

As for football in PA, Penn State is highly GOP-leaning obviously being in the middle of nowhere. Pitt has far more Democrats (though overall, Penn State has massive advantages with both groups).

N.C. State (my alma mater) is conservative for a state school, but the liberal presence increased while I was there (1998-2004), though easily to the right of UNC or Duke.

In the UNC-Duke rivalry (I've lived in Chapel Hill most of my life), Northerners are disproportionately Duke fans, which is interesting since Republicans are also disproportionately Duke fans. Comparing Chapel Hill to Charlottesville is interesting since while Charlottesville is bigger, Chapel Hill is near Durham, Raleigh, and RTP, while Charlottesville is not near much, which influences the voting results.

Wake isn't really in the mountains, it's in Winston-Salem, though it is closer to the mountains than the Triangle is.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2015, 09:51:06 PM »

Dodgers fans tend to be more liberal than Angels fans. Padres fans strike me as more conservative than either, but I could be wrong; they're certainly more conservative than Dodgers fans though.

Stereotypically:
Dodgers fans = wealthy Hollywood types
Angels fans = socons and Hispanics
Padres fans = military types

Huh

It's a well known fact that Mexican-Americans in the LA metro area are YUGE Dodger fans.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2015, 01:54:37 PM »

I think that there might be enough of a divide between sports fans and non-sports fans in general that the GOP would win an election with the electorate only being the fans for any US pro sports team (except maybe ones with a massive minority following).
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2015, 03:47:39 PM »

I think that there might be enough of a divide between sports fans and non-sports fans in general that the GOP would win an election with the electorate only being the fans for any US pro sports team (except maybe ones with a massive minority following).

Definitely not true in white liberal areas like the PNW and New England either.
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2015, 05:23:33 PM »

Maybe the PNW, but it seems to me like the urban, white, hipster, culturally liberal type would never watch sports.  I'd imagine that the fanbases of the Boston teams (except maybe the Celtics) are closer than you would think.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2015, 07:48:49 PM »

Maybe the PNW, but it seems to me like the urban, white, hipster, culturally liberal type would never watch sports.  I'd imagine that the fanbases of the Boston teams (except maybe the Celtics) are closer than you would think.

The white working class fanbase for those teams that you may be speaking of is still mostly Democratic in the Northeast.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2015, 07:14:53 PM »

Yankees fans: old italian guys and latino immigrants (Lean D)
Mets fans: Found on Long Island and Queens 'bridge and tunnel' crowd. Includes more jews and suburbanites (Tossup)

Jets fans: Primarily overlap with Mets fans, a lot of them are in Connecticut, probably lean towards the Queens and LI crowd in NY (Tossup)

Giants fans: More New Jersey types and older NY sports fans (since the Jets were founded in the 60s), probably a more traditional white working class group compared to more suburbanite jets fans (Tilt R)

Rangers fans: Manhattan urbanites and suburban kids from the Hudson Valley and Connecticut (Lean R)

Islander fans: Found obviously more on the Island and Queens (overlapping with Jets/Mets) (Tossup)

Devils fans: Mainly in New Jersey, had wider appeal when they were good in the city, but a more upper class mix of the NJ demo than giants fans (Tilt D)

I dont follow basketball so I cant judge the Knicks and Nets 
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2015, 09:42:39 PM »

Yankees fans: old italian guys and latino immigrants (Lean D)
Mets fans: Found on Long Island and Queens 'bridge and tunnel' crowd. Includes more jews and suburbanites (Tossup)

Jets fans: Primarily overlap with Mets fans, a lot of them are in Connecticut, probably lean towards the Queens and LI crowd in NY (Tossup)

Giants fans: More New Jersey types and older NY sports fans (since the Jets were founded in the 60s), probably a more traditional white working class group compared to more suburbanite jets fans (Tilt R)

Rangers fans: Manhattan urbanites and suburban kids from the Hudson Valley and Connecticut (Lean R)

Islander fans: Found obviously more on the Island and Queens (overlapping with Jets/Mets) (Tossup)

Devils fans: Mainly in New Jersey, had wider appeal when they were good in the city, but a more upper class mix of the NJ demo than giants fans (Tilt D)

I dont follow basketball so I cant judge the Knicks and Nets 

As a non-New Yorker, I would imagine that the Knicks would be far more conservative than the Nets due to geography, but both might be more liberal than any from the other three sports.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies