Opinion of Oslo's decision to phase out the use of private cars in city borders?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:42:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Oslo's decision to phase out the use of private cars in city borders?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
FD

HD

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 41

Author Topic: Opinion of Oslo's decision to phase out the use of private cars in city borders?  (Read 1696 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 31, 2015, 08:17:31 PM »

Oslo has become the first major city (although probably not the last) to ban motor cars under the new Labour-Green-Left government. Your thoughts? Read this Atlantic article for the dets:

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/10/the-car-free-city/411781/
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 08:22:26 PM »

I hope Madison doesn't get any ideas...

But seriously it would be fine as long as it's limited to a small area.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 08:28:15 PM »

Well obviously it couldn't really work in America (although I guess if traininthedistance reads this he might crack down on my head for saying that). U.S. cities are too sparsely arranged (I pity the urban planer trying to work LA into a remotely usable city for non-motorists), zoning is too weirdly arranged and public transport routinely underfunded. But it would be interesting to see if the Oslo-dwellers (oslonians?) can figure out a way to make it work. A lot of European cities weren't really designed for the car, and you can ... tell.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 08:36:54 PM »

It's obviously impossible to really know until it goes into effect, but I voted FD because it's a good thing to try out.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 08:43:58 PM »

Yes, although something tells me removing the car from, say, Washington DC or NYC would face a certain amount of roadblocks. (No pun intended)
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2015, 10:32:20 PM »
« Edited: October 31, 2015, 10:46:46 PM by traininthedistance »

Well obviously it couldn't really work in America (although I guess if traininthedistance reads this he might crack down on my head for saying that). U.S. cities are too sparsely arranged (I pity the urban planer trying to work LA into a remotely usable city for non-motorists), zoning is too weirdly arranged and public transport routinely underfunded. But it would be interesting to see if the Oslo-dwellers (oslonians?) can figure out a way to make it work. A lot of European cities weren't really designed for the car, and you can ... tell.

FUN FACT:  When Norman Mailer ran for NYC Mayor in 1969, one of his campaign planks was making Manhattan car-free.  And Roosevelt Island was actually car-free for many years, though they eventually gave up on that.

But seriously, while it might be nice for some small areas like Manhattan south of Canal, or downtown/North End Boston, and while there are certainly individual streets where it might make sense to remove auto traffic, this isn't something I particularly care to push.  I mean, cars can drive on woonerfs, they just can't put their speed over other users' comfort and safety.  It's more important to tame them/build dedicated infra for other modes/make them pay their social costs over a wider range of urban areas, then it is to merely have symbolic car-free centers.  

Though seeing cities across the pond do it is good if only for the aspriational/rhetorical effect, and it obviously is feasible over there, so FD.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 02:52:20 AM »

I don't know about Oslo, but the concept of car-free areas in European cities is not a particularly new one - nearly every city here, mostly in the narrow medieval city parts, but not only, has pedestrian-only areas, and they can be quite extensive relative to the city's size. I'm guessing this project in Oslo might go one step further than is the norm thus far in Europe, but the idea is not really that brand new and/or radically shocking.

I obviously think this is a very Freedom Thing to do.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 03:47:22 AM »

No, ban bicycles and make mopeds punishable by death.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 06:00:04 AM »

FD I guess, why would anybody that doesn't live there or go there care one way or the other...other than in a "oh, that's interesting, good luck with that" kind of way.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2015, 06:43:14 AM »

sounds like it's just in the downtown area.  do they have plans for what the people living their do with their cars?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2015, 08:53:32 AM »

How do proposals like this work for businesses? Do they make exceptions for say, a truck delivering ingredients to a restaurant?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2015, 09:08:41 AM »

How do proposals like this work for businesses? Do they make exceptions for say, a truck delivering ingredients to a restaurant?

Chautauqua is basically a small town. Service vehicles are allowed in, and for loading and unloading and deliveries, one can get a one hour pass to use a vehicle to do that. Cars otherwise are parked in a common parking lot nearby with shuttle service. It works well.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2015, 11:25:44 AM »

No, ban bicycles and make mopeds punishable by death.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2015, 03:43:08 PM »

sounds like it's just in the downtown area.  do they have plans for what the people living their do with their cars?

Probably give them some parking spot outside the no-traffic area. Given the usual demographics of a European downtown-dweller, this should not be too many though Tongue
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2015, 05:08:06 PM »

I would not support something like that here because it simply would not work, but if Oslo can make it work, more power to them.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2015, 07:27:03 PM »

Horrible decision. Cars are good.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2015, 08:12:27 PM »

It's worked pretty good at the BA downtown
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2015, 08:39:23 PM »

I fail to see why this would work in New York. Too many visitors from NJ & CT. Ideally locals wouldn't be unnecessarily driving, but a lot of things are actually quite distant and would too many connections. Shopping without a car is also pretty dire.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2015, 03:32:44 PM »

I certainly hope you guys are not serious.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2015, 03:37:18 PM »

Amen!
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2015, 03:42:37 PM »
« Edited: November 02, 2015, 03:47:19 PM by DavidB. »

The idea that some people would want to ban bicycles might be the only way to convince a majority of Dutch people that the death penalty is something to be supported.

Anyway, I generally support banning cars from European city centers, at least if there is good public transportation, but this seems like a typically leftist form of taking it too far and making people's lives harder just for the sake of ideological rigidity. HD.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2015, 03:44:57 PM »

I don't live in a place where cars and bikes share the same road.  We have a pretty good bike network here in Omaha, but it's mostly off street (and less convenient for most people, so it's more used for exercising instead of commuting....I think, not really sure).  So I don't have a hatred of the smaller two wheelers.  Kind of like 'em actually.  I like anything that goes faster than a human can run.  Something inside me desires speed.  It's why I drive Mazda.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2015, 03:15:00 AM »

I think you don't quite understand how powerful a motivation hippie-punching is for some people.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2015, 07:10:23 AM »

Have you ever punched a hippy?  SOOOOOOO satisfying.  Even watching Forrest Gump do it makes one feel good.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies