9/11 theories v. JFK theories
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 10:44:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  9/11 theories v. JFK theories
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 9/11 theories v. JFK theories  (Read 754 times)
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 02, 2015, 12:20:22 PM »
« edited: November 02, 2015, 12:33:38 PM by tara gilesbie »

I notice there is a vast difference in public perception of 9/11 conspiracy theories as opposed to JFK assassination theories. Whereas even fifty years later, about 61 percent of Americans believed the murder was a conspiracy, never have a majority regarded 9/11 as a conspiracy. Also, while JFK theorists are at worst usually dismissed with just an eye roll, 9/11 theorists often spark vitriolic rage. Why is this the case? Is it just still "too soon" for people to even consider the possibility or is something else at play?
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 12:25:57 PM »

Maybe it's because one event as tragic as it was only happened to one person in one city where as thousands of people were killed on 9-11 and thousands more friends and family members effected by it, not to mention those rescue workers hurt by the residual effects of breathing in asbestos and toxic air which gave them cancer. It's a lot easier for people to grasp the government murdering one man who choose to seek the highest office in the land where he'd naturally have a target on his head then to murder thousands of innocent people. That's a level of evil that's too difficult for most to wrap there heads around.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 12:28:54 PM »

conspiraception... Smiley
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 12:42:53 PM »

Maybe it's because one event as tragic as it was only happened to one person in one city where as thousands of people were killed on 9-11 and thousands more friends and family members effected by it, not to mention those rescue workers hurt by the residual effects of breathing in asbestos and toxic air which gave them cancer. It's a lot easier for people to grasp the government murdering one man who choose to seek the highest office in the land where he'd naturally have a target on his head then to murder thousands of innocent people. That's a level of evil that's too difficult for most to wrap there heads around.
This plus plausibility.

Some of the lesser parts of the JFK conspiracy are much easier to swallow.  "second shooter", "Castro/Communists", "mafia", "grassy knoll" and the explanations for each are all plausible.  And even some of the bigger picture conspiracies only involve a handful of people.

9-11 on the other hand doesn't have much that's even plausible plus it would involve thousands of people being in on it and that's just silly.

FTR, I don't believe in conspiracies around either (or any conspiracies really)
pataki2016

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 01:17:44 AM »

both garbage.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 01:34:46 AM »

This plus plausibility.

Some of the lesser parts of the JFK conspiracy are much easier to swallow.  "second shooter", "Castro/Communists", "mafia", "grassy knoll" and the explanations for each are all plausible.  And even some of the bigger picture conspiracies only involve a handful of people.

9-11 on the other hand doesn't have much that's even plausible plus it would involve thousands of people being in on it and that's just silly.

FTR, I don't believe in conspiracies around either (or any conspiracies really)

Agreed. I don't believe either but the JFK theories are infinitely more plausible.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 12:52:48 PM »

Because there's actual unanswered questions and sketchy behavior around the JFK assassination. Oswald's assassination in particular makes it look less like a conspiracy and more like a proven fact that there was behind-the-scenes stuff we don't know.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 04:51:35 PM »

There is behind the scenes stuff we don't know in all of these events.  But loooooots of people witnessed 9/11 as it happened.  So unless our government has figured out how to alter time... it probably went down the way they say it went down.

I could see a plausable scenario where people in the Bush administration knew an attack was imminent (there is proof of this)... even that the most likely event would be flying an airplane into a targeted building.

I could see them wanting to use such an attack as a springboard to achieve national security/foreign policy objectives.

I could see them totally under estimating the power of the attack and the impact it had on the nation as a whole.

I could see them trying to cover up having had any knowledge other than a vague potential threat that couldn't be quantified and prevented given the intelligence at the time.

But I think that's as bad as it could potentially get.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 05:13:03 PM »

Because there's an Oliver Stone movie about JFK conspiracy theories.

Seriously though, that movie has probably done more to shape public perception about the JFK assassination than the Warren Commission or any other bit of "official" information out there.  Additionally, JFK's larger-than-life persona basically lends him to being a character in a movie script.  We love JFK conspiracy theories because we love JFK.   

Unless the 9/11 attacks can be romanticized in the same way that JFK was, its unlikely that 9/11 conspiracy theories will ever gain any sort of serious traction among the general public.   

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies