Anonymous to publish the names of 1,000 KKK members
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:16:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Anonymous to publish the names of 1,000 KKK members
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Anonymous to publish the names of 1,000 KKK members  (Read 3012 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2015, 09:09:25 PM »

I would be willing to believe someone posing as a major politician might join such an internet group, and far more willing to believe they'd get the gullible to believe them if they did that.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2015, 10:52:31 PM »

Goddamn some of you are gullible. No one joins the Klan anymore, not even Steve Scalise. Not even David Duke is part of the Klan. They join groups with innocuous sounding names that were founded by former klansmen and they don't wear hoods or burn crosses. It's not 1925 anymore.

John Cornyn was born in 1952. Even at the height of the "Third Klan" in the 1960s, no estimate has them over 50,000 members, and often significantly less than that, and the sort of people who joined the Klan weren't hotshot young law students on their way to UVA Law School. Hell, in the mid-1960s, the last time the Klan was relevant, John Cornyn was in Japan, where I'm pretty sure they don't have Klan chapters.

As some of you familiar with civil rights history know, by the 1960s-1970s, the vast majority of white supremacist activists had joined relatively non-violent and non-hooded groups like the White Citizens Council rather than the Klan, which had by then received a (well-deserved) image for being drunken hooligans even among those circles and wasn't viewed as a proper group for any respectable member of society to join. The White Citizen Council renamed itself the Council of Conservative Citizens in 1985 and is still a fringey, but vaguely acceptable group on the right wing of American politics with white supremacist leanings. If you want to go witch hunting look at them, not at the f**king Klan, which hasn't seriously existed as a relevant organization in half a century and hasn't been mainstream in 90 years.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2015, 11:09:09 PM »

Well, I've been saying for years that Tillis is a backward neanderthal. That really doesn't change much here...
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2015, 11:51:40 PM »

So Dan Coats has apparently been named?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2015, 12:03:02 AM »

I assume, like the German NPD, the vast majority of KKK members are spooks, cops and informers all working various overlapping operations.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2015, 01:11:56 AM »

The only ones who I could actually see being KKK members is Johnny Isakson and Dan Coats. Isakson since he's both old enough and been in Southern politics long enough that he could have joined when the KKK was still powerful, and Dan Coats for the same reason, but Indiana (didn't they have a powerful KKK a while back?).

Otherwise you'd have to be pants-on-head stupid to be part of a gang of chinless morons like the KKK in 2015. Tillis would be especially stupid, considering he got into politics in 2002, not exactly a high-water year for the KKK.

The list is fake, and even if it isn't the official Anonymous list, I doubt they'll have any relevant politicians on the real list.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2015, 01:22:41 AM »

Tillis is apparently Catholic. So no matter how reactionary he is, he wouldn't be in the Klan.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2015, 01:24:55 AM »

I assume, like the German NPD, the vast majority of KKK members are spooks, cops and informers all working various overlapping operations.

A lot of them are sincere racists but sincere racists who nevertheless inform on their fellow sincere racists just in case S ever goes down, they don't want to go to jail for their beliefs. I've heard in the past that a vast majority of people active in Klan organizations, if not directly working for the FBI, have at least given information to the FBI.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2015, 08:17:02 AM »

Man, some of you people will believe any stupid thing won't you.  "If it fits my biases, I don't care how stupid it sounds, it MUST be true!"

freaking idiots
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2015, 06:29:06 PM »

Anonymous released the real list and as expected it's extremely disappointing.

http://pastebin.com/wbvP95wg

It's basically just a long list of links to Facebook profiles with Swastika backgrounds. So no KKK members were "outed". It's pretty much all people who are very open about being racist. Tom Metzger is actually on the list. It's like seriously, they might as well have posted a link to the wikipedia article on Hitler's Cabinet and said "look at all these Nazis we just outed".

No Senators, no Mayors, no one notable at all.

A lot of people said the fake list was an attempt to discredit the real one. I don't even think that was the case, as no one on the real list would deny being racist. It was more just straight up trolling.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2015, 11:07:13 PM »

It's basically just a long list of links to Facebook profiles with Swastika backgrounds. So no KKK members were "outed". It's pretty much all people who are very open about being racist. Tom Metzger is actually on the list. It's like seriously, they might as well have posted a link to the wikipedia article on Hitler's Cabinet and said "look at all these Nazis we just outed".

A lot of people said the fake list was an attempt to discredit the real one. I don't even think that was the case, as no one on the real list would deny being racist. It was more just straight up trolling.

Did anyone really think a significant number of senators were are actually members of the KKK? I mean, really? I'm sure that would do wonders for the political career and they'd have to be aware of it. Heck, even if they agree with the KKK, why bother being members? It could only lead to getting caught. Why would anyone in a position of real power take such a risk?
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2015, 11:08:24 PM »

Did anyone really think a significant number of senators were are actually members of the KKK? I mean, really? I'm sure that would do wonders for the political career and they'd have to be aware of it. Heck, even if they agree with the KKK, why bother being members? It could only lead to getting caught. Why would anyone in a position of real power take such a risk?

That only shows you how anti-Southern bigotry among the Dems makes Dems believe the most glaringly false things.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2015, 11:50:41 PM »

If not for the fake releases, I doubt this story would have gotten any coverage at all. It's absolutely not notable. They didn't even "hack" any websites. They just joined a bunch of racist Facebook groups and made a list of the members.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2015, 03:09:15 AM »

The KKK offers little more than an opportunity for hucksters to bleed bigots by selling memberships, souvenirs, regalia, and the writings of the leader of the group. Being exposed as a Kluxist is about as detrimental to a career as being smeared as a Communist in the McCarthy era.

Unworthy of  attention. 
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2015, 03:15:29 AM »

This has been rather anti-climatic. Nothing remotely as interesting as this.

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2015/11/03/3718971/kris-kobach-speaks-to-white-supremacist-group/
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2015, 04:06:21 AM »

That only shows you how anti-Southern bigotry among the Dems makes Dems believe the most glaringly false things.

Throwing out glaringly false claims makes you look like an idiot, just saying.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2015, 07:30:10 AM »

Throwing out glaringly false claims makes you look like an idiot, just saying.

What? Anyone who thought there were Senators in the KKK was being an idiot.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2015, 12:08:21 AM »

I think I said here a few days ago...anyone on college/law track headed into politics born after World War II was never going to be in the Ku Klux Klan. White Citizens Council? Possibly, for those of a certain age and bent. Other white supremacist organizations? Similarly possible. The Klan? After the 1930s the Klan was exclusively the preserve of drunk yahoo f**kups, not the sort of people who end up in high office. White supremacists with any sense of self-preservation ditched the hoods and burning crosses well before the Civil Rights Era.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2015, 06:48:27 PM »

Here's a legitimate question.

If you're a statewide official, how do you make it that far without someone doing some investigating to see if you were a member of the Klan or a white supremacist group?

Steve Scalise got burned for it, and he spoke to some white supremacist group once in 2002. Anyone with Klansman associations would have been been found out long before they got to the U.S. Senate or statewide office. The vetting process by donors, party activists, reporters, and various interest groups in today's connected world means that you can't even have a whiff of racist leanings. People have lost primaries for accusations of being abusive to exes 20 years ago.* This isn't the 1960s or 1970s where you could skate by with shady connections and win statewide office. As time goes on, it's going to be even more difficult to have views that look bigoted. In ten years, homophobic people are going to become unelectable for statewide office or national office.

The reality is that if you even have the hint of a skeleton in your closet as you approach statewide office, someone is going to find it. That's why the Senators being on the list was laughable. Texas, especially. John Cornyn is Senate Majority Whip and in line to become Senate Majority Leader after 2018 while representing a huge state. Georgia is not a tiny state either, with a large diverse population in Atlanta. Senator George Allen (R-Va.) was probably the last person to have racist leanings to enter statewide office and his last successful election was in 2000 - at a time when the internet was just beginning to take off.**

* Which is why Matt Bevin calls himself Governor - elect of Kentucky instead of James Comers.
** And he lost the 2006 elections over this issue.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies