court nomination
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:34:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  court nomination
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: court nomination  (Read 3247 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2015, 09:30:07 PM »

Second longest serving Senator ever, long time close ally of one of the most powerful machine party bosses in the game (who happens to also be on the court presently) and appointed by a two term President. Yep, an outsider if ever there was one. Roll Eyes Tongue

I  also had a long time allegiance to powerful machine party boss and Labor Leader Adam Griffin! And don't forget all those terms I've served as VP

0:)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2015, 09:36:27 PM »

Stop trying to stall BK's nomination by putting everyone to sleep, Yankee.

BK's nomination has already occured. I think confirmation is the word you are looking for, Turk. Tongue

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I  also had a long time allegiance to powerful machine party boss and Labor Leader Adam Griffin! And don't forget all those terms I've served as VP

0:)
[/quote]

Adam's a powerful machine boss? Tongue

And the time as PPT. Of course that leads us to all the times the Senate had to expell you for inactivity. Tongue

Yes, the case against you being some kind of outsider has been well made, counselor.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2015, 09:38:54 PM »

Also BK, for some reason your display name is blocking my attempts to PM you. I have sent your three already and it keeps coming back, cannot find user.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2015, 09:40:50 PM »
« Edited: November 02, 2015, 09:43:33 PM by Bacon »

Adam was a party boss more recently than bgwah Tongue

I have bipolar disorder and I was once unmedicated for it - you can point to various times I was inactive, I could point to various times I did the work of three Senators. The fact is neither of those extremes happen anymore. I am willing to speak at length on this topic during my confirmation hearing. Smiley
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2015, 09:42:24 PM »

Also BK, for some reason your display name is blocking my attempts to PM you. I have sent your three already and it keeps coming back, cannot find user.

I removed the emoji, try now
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2015, 09:44:33 PM »

What is going on?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2015, 10:01:31 PM »

Adam was a party boss more recently than bgwah Tongue

That is possibly more of a burn than my jab at Adam. Wink

Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2015, 10:05:34 PM »

Some corrupt members of the establishment want to prevent the most qualified candidate for the Supreme Court in Atlasian history from being confirmed.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2015, 10:07:35 PM »

Some corrupt members of the establishment want to prevent the most qualified candidate for the Supreme Court in Atlasian history from being confirmed.

Says the man who tried to install himself as Senator from the Pacific after being rejected by the voters. It doesn't get more corrupt than that.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2015, 10:17:53 PM »

Says the man who tried to install himself as Senator from the Pacific after being rejected by the voters. It doesn't get more corrupt than that.

Ah, great to see the senile scion of the old guard respond to these allegations with a logical fallacy. I would expect nothing less.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2015, 10:22:15 PM »

Ah, great to see the senile scion of the old guard respond to these allegations with a logical fallacy. I would expect nothing less.

And I expect nothing less than to see the radical faction display its typical lack of concern for the truth. Tongue
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2015, 10:45:23 PM »

And I expect nothing less than to see the radical faction display its typical lack of concern for the truth. Tongue

Senator Lumine was a well known confidant of the traitor Simfan and when he was president abused the powers of his office to engage in frivolous political witchhunts against his enemies while the country fell apart around him. I and many others hope he is brought to justice for his high crimes, but this discussion is merely distracting us all from this farce and unnecessary obstructionism against BK's nomination.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2015, 10:51:11 PM »

Senator Lumine was a well known confidant of the traitor Simfan and when he was president abused the powers of his office to engage in frivolous political witchhunts against his enemies while the country fell apart around him. I and many others hope he is brought to justice for his high crimes, but this discussion is merely distracting us all from this farce and unnecessary obstructionism against BK's nomination.

And what about the radical faction's witch hunts this summer? Or their support for the undeniably traitorous commie Governor of the Midwest at the same time? They don't count?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2015, 11:06:42 PM »

Repeat all those old tired tales all you want, Nagas, I'm still taking office on Friday and you're not, xD

My immaturity on the subject aside (I suppose I always wanted to say something like that), knowledge of the law is not everything when it comes to having a Supreme Court Justice. You also need activity, some degree of impartiality and dedication to the job, as these offices are usually held for a long, long time and are not the usual office to be left.

Given the proverbial tardiness of the outgoing administration on several issues, I confess my surprise at this being precisely the one matter to be rushed without any regard towards the incoming administration.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2015, 08:32:29 AM »

If I perfectly understand, the VP shall open the confirmation thread.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2015, 04:28:19 PM »

If I perfectly understand, the VP shall open the confirmation thread.

That's the rule as written and I'm fine if Cinci opens it but it's clear you have precedent to open a confirmation thread yourself.

If the Speaker didn't have the authority to open up confirmation hearings, that would mean the President-elect's appointment to the office of Registrar General was illegitimate and therefore he's guilty of illegally performing the duties of a Cabinet official, which is a Crime against Atlasia with a two-year sentence on office-holding.

However, that would of course be silly. There's an established precedent that allows the Speaker to open nomination threads. In my expert legal opinion, you're perfectly in the clear to open the thread yourself Smiley
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2015, 04:40:24 PM »

Repeat all those old tired tales all you want, Nagas, I'm still taking office on Friday and you're not, xD

My immaturity on the subject aside (I suppose I always wanted to say something like that), knowledge of the law is not everything when it comes to having a Supreme Court Justice. You also need activity, some degree of impartiality and dedication to the job, as these offices are usually held for a long, long time and are not the usual office to be left.

Given the proverbial tardiness of the outgoing administration on several issues, I confess my surprise at this being precisely the one matter to be rushed without any regard towards the incoming administration.

I can't speak to the intentions of why oakvale resigned or why bore picked me - I didn't even find out bore was going to nominate until he posted the official nomination.

When I am on the Supreme Court, I will be entirely impartial - I won't face reelection, so I won't be beholden to anyone, so why would I care what anyone else wants me to do? Any actions I take as a Justice will be done entirely on account of my own conscience and knowledge of the law.

I will be active and dedicated as a member of the Supreme Court - say what you will about my past shortcomings, but in the judicial system I have always given it my all. When I was Pacific Justice I took the job seriously - I single-handedly saved the region from collapse without sacrificing its sovereignty or democratic institutions. That's the work ethic I will bring to the table as a member of the Supreme Court.

I understand that there's currently a very negative smear campaign attacking my character, that's going around in the smoke-filled rooms of Atlasia's insiders. I ask that you don't pay any heed to the gossipmongers, and judge me on my actual credentials.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2015, 04:57:21 PM »

I PMed Cincinnatus. Expect him to open the thread in the next few hours.
If not, I'll do that early tomorrow.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2015, 05:12:16 PM »

It's really quite amusing to see the Jacobin reactionaries up in arms over the Senate's inclination to respect the wishes of the President-elect (who will doubtlessly take office before the nominee is confirmed/rejected) when one considers the lengths they went to to subvert the democratic process back in "Bloody July." Last I check, no-one in the Senate has

- Used their authority as Attorney General to lead witch hunts against their political opponents
- Tried to ban their opponents based on phony claims that they were socks
- Led a communist insurrection against the federal government and threatened to nuke the nation's capital
- Attempted to install themselves as Senator in defiance of the will of the people (this has happened twice in the past four months)
- Posted lies about their political opponents based on happenstance, unfounded assumptions, and the testimony of their imaginary friends

For the record, I have no personal or political objection to the nominee (heck, I even voted for Bacon King back in February), but the circumstances surrounding this nomination are very suspicious. There was a time that I would have believed Bore when he said that he had no knowledge of any conspiracy, but that time has passed.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2015, 05:38:27 PM »

It's really quite amusing to see the Jacobin reactionaries up in arms over the Senate's inclination to respect the wishes of the President-elect (who will doubtlessly take office before the nominee is confirmed/rejected) when one considers the lengths they went to to subvert the democratic process back in "Bloody July." Last I check, no-one in the Senate has

- Used their authority as Attorney General to lead witch hunts against their political opponents
- Led a communist insurrection against the federal government and threatened to nuke the nation's capital
- Attempted to install themselves as Senator in defiance of the will of the people (this has happened twice in the past four months)
- Posted lies about their political opponents based on happenstance, unfounded assumptions, and the testimony of their imaginary friends

For the record, I have no personal or political objection to the nominee (heck, I even voted for Bacon King back in February), but the circumstances surrounding this nomination are very suspicious. There was a time that I would have believed Bore when he said that he had no knowledge of any conspiracy, but that time has passed.
TNF and Al have said nothing about this nomination so I'm not quite sure what you're getting at? Are you so desperate to find reasons to oppose this nomination that you have to resort to citing unrelated incidents?
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2015, 06:57:18 PM »

TNF and Al have said nothing about this nomination so I'm not quite sure what you're getting at? Are you so desperate to find reasons to oppose this nomination that you have to resort to citing unrelated incidents?
I have made my reasons for opposing Bacon King's nomination very clear, SWE. I'm merely observing that the people who are so desperate to expose the "obstructionism" of the evil Senate establishment are known illusionists who have spent the last four months trying to subvert the democratic process at every turn. They are not credible sources of information, and Atlasians should not be alarmed by their laughable accusations.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2015, 01:35:39 AM »
« Edited: November 05, 2015, 03:46:32 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Truman has a point.

March 2015: One of President bore's first acts is to appoint the controversial former terrorist Al as Attorney General. Al had also once engaged in an open rebellion, tried to seize control of the Atlasian Senate, and Federal Gov't.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=208784.msg4520072#msg4520072

Cris, with a little assistance from a certain evil villain (Evil) points these matters out.

Then Senator Cranberry: Eh, who cares, That was ages ago. "He is a genius legal mind".

Al then bullsh..ts his way out of scrutiny, and he gets away with it because he is Al, who for some reason certain folks had and still have a hard-on for.

The Senate ignores Cris:
Aye (6): Cranberry, Polnut, Lief, Talleyrand, TNF, Windjammer
Nay (2): Hagrid, Cris
Non voting (1): SWE

Four Months Later: Puts enemies and opponents up on charges of treason, faces Senate impeachement before resigning and deregistering from the game.  

The last defense I want to hear regarding a controversial bore appointee is "OMG, he is such a genius legal mind". That reasoning to the exclusion of all other concerns put a terrorist traitor at the head of the Department of Justice.

This isn't March: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdrFBwwWJ44
If you see smoke, that is the rubber stamps burning out back. Evil
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2015, 01:38:11 AM »

I have made my reasons for opposing Bacon King's nomination very clear, SWE. I'm merely observing that the people who are so desperate to expose the "obstructionism" of the evil Senate establishment are known illusionists who have spent the last four months trying to subvert the democratic process at every turn. They are not credible sources of information, and Atlasians should not be alarmed by their laughable accusations.

The troll faction of Atlasia, long composed primarily of some of the game's oldest players who feel like nothing more then causing trouble, has typically restorted to such tactics mainly to convince newer players that they are force for change and their opponents are the evil villains. Fortunately, the current crop of rising Atlasians like yourself is smart enough to see through the transparent illusion.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2015, 02:34:19 PM »

Truman has a point.

March 2013: One of President bore's first acts is to appoint the controversial former terrorist Al as Attorney General. Al had also once engaged in an open rebellion, tried to seize control of the Atlasian Senate, and Federal Gov't.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=208784.msg4520072#msg4520072

Cris, with a little assistance from a certain evil villain (Evil) points these matters out.

Then Senator Cranberry: Eh, who cares, That was ages ago. "He is a genius legal mind".

Al then bullsh..ts his way out of scrutiny, and he gets away with it because he is Al, who for some reason certain folks had and still have a hard-on for.

The Senate ignores Cris:
Aye (6): Cranberry, Polnut, Lief, Talleyrand, TNF, Windjammer
Nay (2): Hagrid, Cris
Non voting (1): SWE

Four Months Later: Puts enemies and opponents up on charges of treason, faces Senate impeachement before resigning and deregistering from the game. 

The last defense I want to hear regarding a controversial bore appointee is "OMG, he is such a genius legal mind". That reasoning to the exclusion of all other concerns put a terrorist traitor at the head of the Department of Justice.

This isn't March: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdrFBwwWJ44
If you see smoke, that is the rubber stamps burning out back. Evil

you sound jealous tbh
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2015, 03:25:52 PM »

hello everyone just letting you know I have begun my confirmation hearing (with my first post clocking in at an excessive 1530 words)
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies