Hastert Portrait Removed from House Hallway
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 11:49:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Hastert Portrait Removed from House Hallway
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: FF or HP Move?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 46

Author Topic: Hastert Portrait Removed from House Hallway  (Read 2231 times)
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 02, 2015, 06:33:34 PM »

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/dennis-hastert-portrait-removed?utm_content=buffere692f&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 08:24:40 PM »

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/dennis-hastert-portrait-removed

(without social media tag)
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 08:26:38 PM »

HP Move
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 08:29:39 PM »

The man sexually abused kids and then used hush money to keep them quite.  How is removing the guys portrait a bad move?
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 08:31:27 PM »

The man sexually abused kids and then used hush money to keep them quite.  How is removing the guys portrait a bad move?
I don't support at all what he did but the guy was the House Speaker he shouldn't be removed from the walls, but I'm very traditionalist.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 08:44:18 PM »
« Edited: November 02, 2015, 08:50:15 PM by smilo »

I completely agree with Classic Conservative. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the hush money part either. He was free to do what he wanted as I have previously stated, and it is despicable that our government is prosecuting him for that. Also, I'd bet there are a lot of portraits of slaveholders in our Federal buildings. Must all those be removed too, or does "time-context" make that acceptable. Is there no objectively morality?

This article is not exactly about the topic, but a lot of it involves how I feel on the matter of this case: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/426386/denny-hastert-money-laundering-sentencing-reform
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 09:04:37 PM »

The man sexually abused kids and then used hush money to keep them quite.  How is removing the guys portrait a bad move?
I don't support at all what he did but the guy was the House Speaker he shouldn't be removed from the walls, but I'm very traditionalist.

He's a child molester.  

I completely agree with Classic Conservative. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the hush money part either. He was free to do what he wanted as I have previously stated, and it is despicable that our government is prosecuting him for that. Also, I'd bet there are a lot of portraits of slaveholders in our Federal buildings. Must all those be removed too, or does "time-context" make that acceptable. Is there no objectively morality?

This article is not exactly about the topic, but a lot of it involves how I feel on the matter of this case: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/426386/denny-hastert-money-laundering-sentencing-reform

He's a child molester.  
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 09:05:28 PM »

He's a child molester. 
He was the former Speaker of the House, he's not David Duke.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 09:06:17 PM »

He's a child molester. 
He was the former Speaker of the House, he's not David Duke.

But...  he's a child molester.  
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 09:09:22 PM »

OK seriously? So it's OK we have Henry Clay in the rotunda, but not Hastert? Very sensible precedent.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2015, 09:27:04 PM »

I agree that unless we get rid of everything bad from history all at once that this doesn't make any sense.
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2015, 09:34:28 PM »

FF Move (normal, sane)

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the hush money part either. He was free to do what he wanted as I have previously stated, and it is despicable that our government is prosecuting him for that.

Stunning.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2015, 09:43:04 PM »

Oppose, for the same reason that Maryland Gov. Parris Glendening put Spiro Agnew's portrait back up in the MD State Capital: You can't re-write history.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2015, 10:12:20 PM »

Oppose, for the same reason that Maryland Gov. Parris Glendening put Spiro Agnew's portrait back up in the MD State Capital: You can't re-write history.

Indeed. If we remove this portrait, than many, many more must follow to be consistent.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2015, 10:17:19 PM »

I'm pretty sure we can separate the kiddy-diddlers from the standard corrupt politicians without being hypocrites.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2015, 10:25:01 PM »
« Edited: November 02, 2015, 10:31:24 PM by SteveRogers »

Lol, the government isn't prosecuting him for paying hush money. He absolutely had the right to pay off his blackmailer. What he did not have the right to do was launder money for that purpose any more than he had a right to sell drugs or rob a bank to raise his hush money.  

As for whether the House should be removing his portrait, my gut says that it feels like a disservice to the public for the House to start trying to remove the history of its terrible leadership choices.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2015, 10:25:25 PM »

lol no,
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2015, 10:26:15 PM »

I completely agree with Classic Conservative. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the hush money part either.
I guarantee you that you have never been more wrong in your life.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2015, 10:30:28 PM »

As for whether the House should be removing his portrait, my gut says that it feels like a disservice to the public for the House to start trying to remove the history of its terrible leadership choices.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2015, 02:36:54 AM »

Leave the portrait up, but paint some bars on it, or put some prison bars up in front of the portrait.  Put up a little plaque explaining why.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2015, 03:11:10 AM »

I'm pretty sure we can separate the kiddy-diddlers from the standard corrupt politicians without being hypocrites.

+1
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2015, 03:48:51 AM »

A good compromise would be a caption "Denny Hastrt - Speaker and Child Molester"
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2015, 06:56:50 AM »

Removing it is good. It isnt changing history, it is just showing that when you do certain things you lose any right to be honored for your "service" to your country.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2015, 08:02:40 AM »

I completely agree with Classic Conservative. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the hush money part either.
I guarantee you that you have never been more wrong in your life.

It is commonsense that structuring should not be a crime when no other crime bring committed let alone when they are a victim of other crimes. What good does taking this case do? It's utter silliness, and they are only doing it as statutes expired for other crimes.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2015, 10:37:50 AM »

Yes, and one of the differences is that Henry Clay being a slaveholder (which I think is the comparison being made?) wasn't universally seen as bad back when he was Speaker. It was bad, but the social morality of his day was conflicted on it. Plus, his attempts to save the Union were at least worthy of respect. But in 2015, I think everyone is united in saying that Hastert is a pedophile and that being a pedophile is wrong.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies