Since joining what positions have you become more conservative or liberal
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:17:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Since joining what positions have you become more conservative or liberal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Since joining what positions have you become more conservative or liberal  (Read 2843 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2015, 11:44:12 AM »

Hard to tell, it was so long ago. I think I've become more aware of things like feminism and minority issues just by virtue of growing up.

And I'm a lot more pragmatic when it comes to economic issues.

So overall I'm probably more left-wing now.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2015, 11:53:10 AM »

More liberal: gay marriage (lol)

Otherwise, mostly, as Gustaf said:

I think I've become more aware of things like feminism and minority issues just by virtue of growing up.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2015, 01:07:58 PM »

More liberal: marriage, free trade, foreign intervention
More conservative: abortion, role of government, regulations, taxes

Overall: slightly more liberal
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2015, 02:30:49 PM »

It honestly scares me when people my age are anti-gay marriage-it's like the one thing that we're suppose to be able to embrace.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2015, 03:12:29 PM »

So, does that mean you're more supportive of free trade, of less supportive? Same question applies to foreign intervention.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2015, 03:40:20 PM »

So, does that mean you're more supportive of free trade, of less supportive? Same question applies to foreign intervention.

I'm more fair trade and I am less supportive of foreign intervention.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2015, 03:57:20 PM »

There are a few issues I've become more conservative on (foreign policy) and others that I've become more liberal on (capital punishment) but all in all, I've become far more pragmatic than anything else.

Mostly I've just grown sick and tired of the Bernie Sanders crowd, as they've become the left-wing equivalent of the Tea Party. His candidacy and the idiotic, conspiracy theory refrains of his supporters have pulled me firmly into the Democratic establishment. I'm allergic to conspiracy theorists, and when I hear Bernie Sanders supporters post on this and other political forms, "The DNC is corrupt and rigging the election for Hillary!" I get hives.

I've become more of a Hillary Clinton/Lincoln Chafee type of Democrat. Responsible with public funds, supporting individual liberty, and an actual desire to govern, get things done, and help the common person. Now there are things that I'm pretty far left on, like trade, where I explicitly disagree with both Bill Clinton and Barack Obama on opening trade lines with third-world countries to ship all our jobs overseas.

Pragmatic progressivism, my friends.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2015, 02:38:03 PM »

Re: Since joining what positions have you become more conservative or liberal

Liberal.

Yeah, I don't think you understood the question, LOL.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2015, 03:09:24 AM »
« Edited: November 05, 2015, 03:13:00 AM by traininthedistance »

Honestly, the main difference– or, at least, the main difference that can be at least somewhat attributed to my interactions on Atlas– is being more cognizant of the fact that "liberal" and "left" are not actually the same thing.  Of course, with that in mind, I'd probably still call myself a left-liberal. Tongue

I mean, sure, there are things where I shift my positions when I learn more.  I care more about feminism and immigration and have less patience for anti-GMO woo than I did four years ago, for instance.  And the presence of BRTD has led me to be more vocally aware of my residual cultural Catholicism.  But I made my big-ticket changes years before I came here, it's been small-bore refinements for quite awhile.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2015, 03:19:29 AM »
« Edited: November 05, 2015, 03:21:38 AM by RG Griff »

Conservative: in a nominal or absolute sense, nothing really. If I'm measured against the aggregate of Atlas views on social issues today versus 2004, however, then I might be more conservative today in a relative sense than I would have been then. That's how it works for most people as they age, though; people don't "become more conservative with age" most of the time on social issues. The world simply becomes more progressive as younger generations develop new attitudes on issues that didn't exist prior.

Liberal: definitely on economics in general, as well as issues pertaining to race.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2015, 04:14:17 AM »

Well, I've taken a massive turn to the right socially and to the left economically, both due to the same experience in my religious trip to India.
Please elaborate.  I'm hard pressed to see how a trip to India could encourage either, let alone both. While India isn't as bad as many African countries socially or economically, I'd think a trip to India to see the results of social conservatism in a non-Western context and the utter incompetence of those Indian states that are economically leftist would encourage a turn to the left socially and the right economically if one were the type to be influenced by isolated examples.

Or was the experience during a stopover in Singapore during your trip?  I could easily envisage something happening there that would cause the change you describe.

Well in India, there were massive people on the streets homeless, people just going to survive and people out on the streets or ejected from their home due to bad life decisions, I saw families separated due to children under the influence jobs, I saw children grow up pickpocketing, stealing due to the influence of movies. I saw a need for a statist government to make sure people aren't lead astray and to make sure they are provided a job and adequate housing, healthcare etc. I also so the need for the government to take responsibility on people that are about to make bad decision.

I also got more religious in India, and changed from an atheist back to a Hindu, so that must make me take a turn to a right socially to.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2015, 06:33:34 AM »

Well, I've taken a massive turn to the right socially and to the left economically, both due to the same experience in my religious trip to India.
Please elaborate.  I'm hard pressed to see how a trip to India could encourage either, let alone both. While India isn't as bad as many African countries socially or economically, I'd think a trip to India to see the results of social conservatism in a non-Western context and the utter incompetence of those Indian states that are economically leftist would encourage a turn to the left socially and the right economically if one were the type to be influenced by isolated examples.

Or was the experience during a stopover in Singapore during your trip?  I could easily envisage something happening there that would cause the change you describe.

Well in India, there were massive people on the streets homeless, people just going to survive and people out on the streets or ejected from their home due to bad life decisions, I saw families separated due to children under the influence jobs, I saw children grow up pickpocketing, stealing due to the influence of movies. I saw a need for a statist government to make sure people aren't lead astray and to make sure they are provided a job and adequate housing, healthcare etc. I also so the need for the government to take responsibility on people that are about to make bad decision.

I also got more religious in India, and changed from an atheist back to a Hindu, so that must make me take a turn to a right socially to.

Whuuu? Movies rather than grinding poverty make kids pick pocket? Families throw people out and you decide it's their fault automatically without considering that the family might be the unreasonable ones, Are you drunk?
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2015, 09:32:38 AM »

Whuuu? Movies rather than grinding poverty make kids pick pocket? Families throw people out and you decide it's their fault automatically without considering that the family might be the unreasonable ones, Are you drunk?

I'm sure middle class children don't need to pick pocket....
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2015, 10:34:21 AM »

I'm sure middle class children don't need to pick pocket....

?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2015, 05:57:54 PM »

How exactly is anyone on here an "anti-Christian bigot"?

I see you haven't been here very long... That's not intended to be snarky. I just mean that the main bigots' (Opebo, TNF, and Hockeydude) peak activity was before you started posting here.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2015, 03:39:51 PM »
« Edited: November 07, 2015, 03:45:50 PM by 4333113520 »

I see you haven't been here very long... That's not intended to be snarky. I just mean that the main bigots' (Opebo, TNF, and Hockeydude) peak activity was before you started posting here.
Depending on how you define Christian, I am definitely ant-Christian. Does that make me a bigot?
According to traditional reformed theology I have already been damned by the God who created me to spend eternity literally burning in hell. I have no free will according to traditional Christian theology. So this God they believe in created me with no chance of salvation. "He" created me, yet I am the one to blame for my eternal damnation. Doesn't make any sense. So yes I am opposed to this idea. My atheism is the logical response to this paradigm. Yes, all theism, if by theism, you mean the idea of an anthropomorphic deity who has the power to stop evil yet strangely fails to, is a theology, that I find problematic to say the least, and is something I don't accept. So go ahead, bring it on, call me a bigot.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2015, 09:55:47 PM »

Depending on how you define Christian, I am definitely ant-Christian. Does that make me a bigot?
According to traditional reformed theology I have already been damned by the God who created me to spend eternity literally burning in hell. I have no free will according to traditional Christian theology. So this God they believe in created me with no chance of salvation. "He" created me, yet I am the one to blame for my eternal damnation. Doesn't make any sense. So yes I am opposed to this idea. My atheism is the logical response to this paradigm. Yes, all theism, if by theism, you mean the idea of an anthropomorphic deity who has the power to stop evil yet strangely fails to, is a theology, that I find problematic to say the least, and is something I don't accept. So go ahead, bring it on, call me a bigot.

Roll Eyes

DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2015, 09:58:15 PM »

Or to actually respond to the above post, there is a big, big difference between strongly opposing an idea and being bigoted towards its adherents.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2015, 10:23:29 PM »

I used to be more individualistic, now I am less. I think.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2015, 11:30:01 PM »

I used to be more individualistic, now I am less. I think.

Evidenced by your destruction of the great DS0816's great stylings.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2015, 09:48:22 PM »

I've become slightly more liberal (or maybe flexible is the right term) on some fiscal issues.  I've probably become more conservative on immigration and gun control while becoming more liberal on affirmative action, the environment and (obviously) gay marriage.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2015, 11:58:03 PM »

Or to actually respond to the above post, there is a big, big difference between strongly opposing an idea and being bigoted towards its adherents.

I don't hate Christians. I hate Christianity. If I hated Christians, I wouldn't be able to talk to basically any of the people who raised me.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies