Should Christmas be a national holiday?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 06:04:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should Christmas be a national holiday?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ...
Yes, for religious reasons

Yes, for practical reasons

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 53

Author Topic: Should Christmas be a national holiday?  (Read 2792 times)
Soup18
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2005, 01:01:32 PM »

Yes, for religious reasons
Palefire
Rookie

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2005, 07:15:07 PM »

December 25th was selected to be Christmas by the church because it was the same day as two previously existing non-Christian holidays - natalis solis invicti and the birthday of Mithras. The same is true of just about every Christian holiday. People need their holidays: so I say give it to them. The reality is that we celebrate them differently. Let the religious folks go be religious and let the non-religious folks and people of other religions do what they will. They certainly do not need to be recognized as religious affairs by the government for religious folks to go be religious. Why they are there and celebrated on the dates that they are is mostly irrelevant. The church really made the dates irrelevant to Christianity when they decided to use their holy days to try and wipe out the holy days of other beliefs. Roman sun worshippers and Iranian followers of the Son of Righteousness have more reasons to celebrate on December 25th than Christians do. Heck, Christmas in American is basically a non-religious celebration of materialism, even for the folks that want to pretend they are unspeakably devoted to God. And you know what, how different people want to spend their time off really doesn't effect you or me - so what the hell does it matter?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2005, 09:25:13 AM »

As for Christmas: I have a strong personal aversion to Christmas and, if I could, I would probably not just abolish but erase the memory of it.

Let me guess, you did not get your "Real Buck Rogers Ray Gun" when you were a kid, right?

Wink
No, I didn't. Nor did I ever want anything like that. Cheesy
I liked it when I was a kid, actually. It's only in the last ten years or so that I've come to detest december.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2005, 09:40:39 AM »

Yes, for Capitalist reasons.
TB
Rookie

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2005, 03:28:41 PM »

I voted no. I believe in separation between church and state. Even though I’m Jewish, I must admit that I like Christmas.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies