Nov 3, 2015 Election Returns
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:45:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Nov 3, 2015 Election Returns
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Nov 3, 2015 Election Returns  (Read 4835 times)
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2015, 07:24:06 AM »
« edited: November 04, 2015, 07:27:55 AM by jaichind »

In my home county of Westchester, NY, the  County Board of Legislators went from 10-7 Dems to 9-8 Dems with the GOP picking up an open seat.  2 of the 10 Dems had formed an alliance with the GOP to control the board so the so the Dem Splinter-GOP alliance went from 9-8 to 10-7.  There was no GOP opponent to the Dem incumbent in my district since Scarsdale is lumped in with Dem dominated White Plains.  
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2015, 07:28:21 AM »

Truth.  We voted a lesbian mayor with no problems the last 3 elections.  The amount by which this ordinance lost is a testament to the power of the scare-ads.  We'll see if and how they are used in the near future.

Well, the concern that the law could allow people to pose as the protected group, then go in the restroom and sexually assault women is a legitimate one.  It's a badly designed law in that respect.  Requiring additional, unisex restrooms in public buildings would be a better, safer way to pursue this.

..no.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2015, 08:52:54 AM »

If anyone cares, Indianapolis elected a Democrat for Mayor with 63% of the vote, and Dems have a one seat majority on the city council (13 - 12) for the first time since 1970.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2015, 09:15:25 AM »

I support protections from housing and employment discrimination, as do most people. However what they really should have done was add a provision to the law banning anyone from using a restroom different from the sex they were born as. Transgenderism isn't a bandwagon I'm willing to jump on, no matter how many in my party do. Instead of using the wrong bathroom, cross-dressing, and pumping your body full of the wrong hormones, get a therapist.
Hydera

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2015, 09:37:08 AM »

Instead of using the wrong bathroom, cross-dressing, and pumping your body full of the wrong hormones, get a therapist.

Funfact: Most of them recommend gender transition for those who fit the criteria for Gender dysphoria.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2015, 09:45:17 AM »

Instead of using the wrong bathroom, cross-dressing, and pumping your body full of the wrong hormones, get a therapist.

Funfact: Most of them recommend gender transition for those who fit the criteria for Gender dysphoria.

That woman who thought she should have been "born blind" found a therapist willing to pour drain cleaner in her eyes. Does that make it any more ethical?
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2015, 09:47:50 AM »

Transgenderism isn't a bandwagon I'm willing to jump on, no matter how many in my party do. Instead of using the wrong bathroom, cross-dressing, and pumping your body full of the wrong hormones, get a therapist.

Glad to see transphobia is still a thing amongst fellow LGB people.

The drag queens and transfolks didn't riot in 1969 for you to say ignorant sh_t like this in 2015.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2015, 10:01:02 AM »

Wolverine is a proven idiot tbf.
Hydera

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2015, 10:10:25 AM »

That woman who thought she should have been "born blind" found a therapist willing to pour drain cleaner in her eyes. Does that make it any more ethical?

I really can't tell if this is Poe's law....

But the APA's stance is not "They are people who are sick in the head and just need help conforming to their gender".

http://www.apa.org/practice/guidelines/transgender.pdf

"Research has primarily shown positive treatment outcomes when TGNC adults and adolescents
receive TGNC‐affirmative medical and psychological services (i.e., psychotherapy, hormones, surgery;
Byne et al., 2012; Carroll, 1999; Cohen‐Kettenis, Delemarre‐van de Waal, & Gooren, 2008; Davis &
Meier, 2014; De Cuypere et al., 2006; Gooren, Giltay, & Bunck, 2008; Kuhn et al., 2009), although sample sizes are frequently small with no population based studies. In a meta‐analysis of the hormone therapy treatment literature with TGNC adults and adolescents, researchers reported that 80% of participants receiving trans‐affirmative care experienced an improved quality of life, decreased gender dysphoria, and a reduction in negative psychological symptoms (Murad et al., 2010).  

Page 23.

The idea that their "sick in the head and just need mental help conforming to their biological gender" screams of the sh**t you'd read on online comment sections in news articles.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2015, 11:22:41 AM »

But the APA's stance is not "They are people who are sick in the head and just need help conforming to their gender".

"Research has primarily shown positive treatment outcomes when TGNC adults and adolescents
receive TGNC‐affirmative medical and psychological services (i.e., psychotherapy, hormones, surgery;
Byne et al., 2012; Carroll, 1999; Cohen‐Kettenis, Delemarre‐van de Waal, & Gooren, 2008; Davis &
Meier, 2014; De Cuypere et al., 2006; Gooren, Giltay, & Bunck, 2008; Kuhn et al., 2009), although sample sizes are frequently small with no population based studies. In a meta‐analysis of the hormone therapy treatment literature with TGNC adults and adolescents, researchers reported that 80% of participants receiving trans‐affirmative care experienced an improved quality of life, decreased gender dysphoria, and a reduction in negative psychological symptoms (Murad et al., 2010).  

Page 23.

The idea that their "sick in the head and just need mental help conforming to their biological gender" screams of the sh**t you'd read on online comment sections in news articles.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/michael-w-chapman/johns-hopkins-psychiatrist-transgender-mental-disorder-sex-change
Hydera

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2015, 04:06:54 PM »

Page 23.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/michael-w-chapman/johns-hopkins-psychiatrist-transgender-mental-disorder-sex-change

Before you try to get a career in comedy.

Don't.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2015, 04:39:35 PM »

Page 23.

Before you try to get a career in comedy.

Don't.

Not sure what that's supposed to mean.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2015, 08:29:45 PM »

Page 23.

You routinely b_tch about how horrible and hateful Republicans are towards gay people, while expressing transphobic views as a gay yourself and citing a right-wing news site as refuting evidence of the American Medical Association?

God you're not just dumb, you're a sh_tty person too
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2015, 10:40:07 PM »

Page 23.

You routinely b_tch about how horrible and hateful Republicans are towards gay people, while expressing transphobic views as a gay yourself and citing a right-wing news site as refuting evidence of the American Medical Association?

God you're not just dumb, you're a sh_tty person too

It's just an issue I can't see myself coming around on.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2015, 10:15:12 AM »

Half the country thought that less than 15 years ago about gay equality.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2015, 10:24:28 AM »

Ah Paul McHugh is still shilling I see, the social conservatibe's dream doctor who is willing to speak out against the evil Jewluminti that is, err, every medical authority in the  United States. I mean one might think his credibility is a bit shattered by his behaviour during the Catholic paedophile scandal (he came back complaining about a homosexual conspiracy ensnaring Catholic youth) and the fact he routinely misreads reports and fails (or more likely doesn't care) to read the conclusions.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2015, 11:45:02 AM »

What a tolerant liberal.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2015, 12:54:45 PM »

The fact that I am to the left of an atlas dem on Transgender rights is like ... wow.

I don't support the bathroom proposal, as it allows anyone, including people who could never truthfully admit to being transgender, to claim to be and enter the wrong bathroom at any time, and the business can't do a thing until after they rape someone.

But on the other hand, transgender people should be allowed full access to reassignment surgery and mostly whatever else they need to feel comfortable during and after transition, including appropriate therapy and private unisex bathrooms. It is a legitimate thing.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2015, 05:30:45 PM »
« Edited: November 05, 2015, 05:40:22 PM by Wolverine22 »

After having an honest conversation with a psychologist/researcher on this issue, I want to issue a full apology for some of my comments. I strongly oppose any kind of housing or employment discrimination against anyone, though I do think the bathroom issue is a legitimate concern. I sincerely apologize to anyone who may have been offended by my comments, and I humbly ask for your forgiveness.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2015, 06:17:53 PM »

The fact that I am to the left of an atlas dem on Transgender rights is like ... wow.

I don't support the bathroom proposal, as it allows anyone, including people who could never truthfully admit to being transgender, to claim to be and enter the wrong bathroom at any time, and the business can't do a thing until after they rape someone.

But on the other hand, transgender people should be allowed full access to reassignment surgery and mostly whatever else they need to feel comfortable during and after transition, including appropriate therapy and private unisex bathrooms. It is a legitimate thing.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2015, 01:57:42 AM »

"get a therapist"
"well most therapists recommend transitioning"
"who gives a shıt what therapists think"

lmbo
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2015, 09:02:59 PM »

After having an honest conversation with a psychologist/researcher on this issue, I want to issue a full apology for some of my comments. I strongly oppose any kind of housing or employment discrimination against anyone, though I do think the bathroom issue is a legitimate concern. I sincerely apologize to anyone who may have been offended by my comments, and I humbly ask for your forgiveness.

It's not a legitimate concern.  And, you should read this book.  http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/08/books/review/becoming-nicole-by-amy-ellis-nutt.html?ref=review

Listen, we don't need to understand what is in a transgender person's head.  Of course we don't because we're not transgender.  Now, there's nothing inherently wrong with feeling weird about transgender people.  Sometimes you feel weird when you see someone with a birth defect because it's out of the ordinary.  Some people feel weird around gay people because it's out of the ordinary.  Those feelings are OK, but they're not a guidepost for your treat people or make public policy.

You see, it's incumbent upon us to love each other, regardless of our differences.  It's incumbent upon us to look out for people who face discrimination.  We need to go the extra mile to help transgender people and understand their challenges, even if that initially makes us uncomfortable.  Transgender people face real challenges, the least we could do is treat them with kindness and create an accepting environment for them. 

All transgender people want is to be treated with dignity and fairness.  They just want to live their life, they're not on some sort of crusade to make people uncomfortable.  I would bet that they hate that people notice them as different.  They just want to be normal people like you and me who aren't treated as lepers and shunned.  I think everyone deserves that base level of respect and dignity.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2015, 04:15:32 PM »

I understand, and it won't happen again. I feel awful about some of the things I've said both on and off of here on this topic.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies