Prison time - rehibilitation or punishment?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:36:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Prison time - rehibilitation or punishment?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What is the purpose of prison in your eyes
Rehibilation

Punishment

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: Prison time - rehibilitation or punishment?  (Read 3017 times)
MissCatholic

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 17, 2005, 11:09:38 AM »

Very tough to distinguish what view you take on this.

Firstly i believe that society should have the confidence to help people who clearly dont understand the difference between right or wrong.

I was told at an early age that there are three ways to make money. You can earn it, you can steal it or you can win it. Now people who choose to go out and earn it generally have a strong family ethic. Personal drive is important. But alot of people go to prison who are poor who steal. Stealing is human instinct but it can be stopped through couceilling and putting drive into a person.

Every child that does well in life usually has a family that is tough on discipline. Discipline is a from of punishment. Spanking in my opinion is not a good way to go - i think its better to talk to the child on a 1-2-1 basis and install in them what is right and what is wrong.

Now the childs upbringiing i`m convinced has a profound effect on what the adult will turnout to be. It isnt the persons fault if he grows up to become a criminal when his family has failed to its job. Society has a duty to hep these people and give them the confidecne that with hard work they can do well in their life. Materialistic things have damaged our soicety but they arent going to go away. So we have to make our prisons tough on what the person has done. but every now and then talk to them and live in hope that once they serve their tiome they will realise that they too can go and earn money and improve their life through honesty.

I love it when i work hard and save for something that i want and then when i buy it, nobody can take it away from me as its mine and i earned it. There is no point in turning our prisons into private abandonment. Abandonment means they will do it again.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 11:10:16 AM »

What it's supposed to be...or what it is?
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 12:53:57 PM »

If someone commits a crime its governments job to punish them, maybe by fines, maybe by imprisonment, maybe by death. If you think society is at fault you are free to spend your own money on helping criminals. I'm sure they will appreciate it, although don't be surprised if they decide to mug you while you are giving them the money.

But don't use my tax dollars on this monkey business.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 01:04:08 PM »

Bearing in mind all felons should be punished and all felons can't be rehabilitated, I'd have to say - PUNISHMENT

However, allowances should be made for mitigating circumstances

Dave
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 01:09:31 PM »

Depends.  Ideally, the former will be in play, because everyone would be better off if the criminal was not likely to do anything again, but either way, the latter should be present.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 01:34:24 PM »

I voted punishment but it should be both.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 01:49:58 PM »

Punish them. That's why prisons were made.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2005, 01:51:31 PM »

Bearing in mind all felons should be punished and all felons can't be rehabilitated, I'd have to say - PUNISHMENT

DWI is currently a felony in most (if not all states)
Bush has a DWI convinction

Hitchabrut
republicanjew18

Political Matrix
E: 8.38, S: 7.49

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2005, 03:07:00 PM »

Which nearly cost him the presidency, or from your mindset, did cost him the presidency.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2005, 07:35:08 PM »

Punishment. In any rehabilitation, I'd think some punishment would be necessary - understanding consequences is an important part of understanding why you shouldn't do certain things. Of course, some people just can't be rehabilitated, so any efforts to rehabilitate should be done only with those who have a chance of actually being rehabilitated.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2005, 07:57:25 PM »

Punishment. In any rehabilitation, I'd think some punishment would be necessary - understanding consequences is an important part of understanding why you shouldn't do certain things. Of course, some people just can't be rehabilitated, so any efforts to rehabilitate should be done only with those who have a chance of actually being rehabilitated.

Absolutely.  The thing many liberals forget is that in order for rehabilitation to work, a person has to want to be rehabilitated.

Most people who do bad things don't want to change until those bad things have a negative impact on them.  This is true of drug addiction, gambling addiction, and criminal activity as well.

Punishment is generally necessary to get people to the point where they want rehabilitation.

Therefore, the job of the justice system, and by extension prisons, is to punish criminals.  The door should be open to rehabilitation if a criminal wants it, but the idea that there can be rehabilitation for serious crimes without punishment is a fantasy.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2005, 08:58:44 PM »

Currently yes. Whenever the hell he had his it WASN'T. Dont be a fumbduck JFRAUD. Ever heard of ex post facto?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2005, 09:03:48 PM »

Hmm.  Rehabilitation.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2005, 09:13:53 PM »

Punishment. Harsh, brutal, unrelenting punishment.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2005, 09:15:04 PM »

Punishment. Harsh, brutal, unrelenting punishment.
Just curious Philip, what religion do you subscribe to?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2005, 09:16:56 PM »

Christianity. How did you know I was a religious?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2005, 09:22:07 PM »

It's quite obvious; your ideas are very prudish and intolerant.  Go meet a lion.  Smiley
MissCatholic

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2005, 09:06:27 AM »

It's quite obvious; your ideas are very prudish and intolerant.  Go meet a lion.  Smiley

i`ll pay to watch that!
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2005, 12:08:19 PM »
« Edited: May 20, 2005, 12:11:24 PM by David S »

Ok Miss Catholic lets compromise. We'll do punishment and rehabilitation. If anyone commits a murder we hang him and then you can rehabilitate him.

BTW you must use your own money for the rehabilitation.
I'll use my own money for the rope.
MissCatholic

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2005, 12:11:50 PM »

Ok Miss Catholic lets compromise. We'll do punishment and rehabilitation. If anyone commits a murder we hang him and then you can rehabilitate him.

BTW you must use your own money for the rehabilitation.
I'll use my own money for the rope.

now now no need for sarcasm!
Soup18
Rookie

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2005, 12:57:50 PM »

punishment
Redefeatbush04

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2005, 02:09:49 PM »

Ideally you want both punishment and rehabilitation but given the choice between the two I'd choose punishment because that way they learn their lesson and do not commit the same crime. If people are not punished for there crimes - there is little incentive to not commit them.  If they know they will get a simple slap on the wrist they will go ahead and take the risk. Rehab is important....but even more important than that is curing the inequality of opportunity serving as the root cause of anger regarding socioeconomic injustice that leads to the crimes. They work together:

a.  Punish the criminals including labor with profits from labor going towards:

b. Curing the inequality of opportunity.....mainly in education
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2005, 09:11:57 PM »

Rehabilitation= house arrest with an ankle bracelet. Everything else is punishment. I would favor far more people with a GPS than in the slam for petty stuff. The murderers, rapists, child molestors and so forth should be given no quarter and punished. If they didn't know right from wrong... tough. Don't execute them but never let them back out, either and no law libraries, weight rooms, golfing outings and such.

My schedule is so busy most of the time that I'd practically welcome house arrest. Smiley  It would be a great opportunity to relax.

I think that some people are redeemable and should receive rehabilitation, after punishment.  Punishment is an absolute necessity for any crimes.  The crime should fit the punishment, so petty crimes should bring petty punishments (like fines or community service), but serious crimes should bring serious punishment.

I had almost turned against the death penalty, until a subhuman heroin addict brutally murdered two store owners in my town earlier this year.  That turned me back strongly in favor of the death penalty.  I wish I could be on his jury; I'd have him on death row so fast your head would spin.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2005, 12:22:49 AM »

I'd rather just keep the death penalty, all for increasing the amount of resources per capita.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies