Sanders: Clinton flip-flops a “character issue”
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:17:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Sanders: Clinton flip-flops a “character issue”
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Sanders: Clinton flip-flops a “character issue”  (Read 3367 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2015, 11:24:14 PM »

He should never have made that "damn e-mails" comment, as this investigation was always relevant, as would any investigation of Jeb Bush's server. It was stupid for Bernie to not have been more aggressive from the get-go.

He said he was sick and tired of hearing about the emails. He didn't say the FBI/DOJ investigation should end.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2015, 02:59:21 AM »

Another Hillary campaign lie bites the dust.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/05/politics/bernie-sanders-email-hillary-clinton/index.html
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2015, 03:01:21 AM »

After seeing recent polling in Iowa, I could say the same thing about the so called political revolution.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2015, 03:05:34 AM »

After seeing recent polling in Iowa, I could say the same thing about the so called political revolution.

Iowa polling has been rather bi-modal. Pollsters like the Selzer, rated A+ by 538, have it much closer.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2015, 04:28:04 AM »

Clinton has changed her positions not because of a lack of character, but because she's pragmatic.  Idealism is nice, but in order to make any progress, the president needs to be pragmatic.
This. I would be surprised if Clinton has changed her views in any substantial way over the last 25 years. She's just a pragmatic politician, subscribing to the pragmatic idea that small progress is better than no progress at all.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2015, 04:32:47 AM »

Clinton has changed her positions not because of a lack of character, but because she's pragmatic.  Idealism is nice, but in order to make any progress, the president needs to be pragmatic.
This. I would be surprised if Clinton has changed her views in any substantial way over the last 25 years. She's just a pragmatic politician, subscribing to the pragmatic idea that small progress is better than no progress at all.

The guy who got the most amendments passed in the 1995-2006 Republican controlled House is pragmatic. Hillary is just a dishonest triangulator.
I support Sanders
Bernie2016

« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2015, 06:06:03 AM »
« Edited: November 06, 2015, 06:08:55 AM by I support Sanders »

He should never have made that "damn e-mails" comment, as this investigation was always relevant, as would any investigation of Jeb Bush's server. It was stupid for Bernie to not have been more aggressive from the get-go.

He said he was sick and tired of hearing about the emails. He didn't say the FBI/DOJ investigation should end.
I'm aware of that, and I personally feel the same way. Unfortunately, perception is everything in politics.

The guy who got the most amendments passed in the 1995-2006 Republican controlled House is pragmatic. Hillary is just a dishonest triangulator.
Damn straight.

Well the next Dem debate will be more interesting if Bernie has decided to go after Clinton more aggressively. Of course there is a danger in that she has high favorables so even some of his own supporters actually like Clinton. Dems rallied to her side after the Benghazi hearing, if he starts saying some of the same things those guys on the committee were saying he could end up hurting himself more.
Unfortunately, he should have been more aggressive on the policy differences between the two of them from October 13. Lincoln Chafee was going after Hillary more vocally than anyone on that stage, but he didn't have the credibility or poll numbers (unfortunately) to attack her from a position of strength. On October 13, Sanders was in a good position to have done that.

yeah, no one believes that.
As a Democrat, I don't believe that.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2015, 08:03:29 AM »

I just wish politicians of all stripes would get it in their heads that the proper response to a question about anything related to an ongoing investigation is "I'm sorry, but due to the fact that there's an ongoing investigation on that subject, I won't comment at this time." Simple, right? But democrats can't seem to do it, republicans can't seem to do it, heck, the sitting president can't seem to do it. My objection is not to the change in Mr. Sanders' response, my objection is that he (and many others) feel the need to play politics with what I believe to be a very serious matter: those damn emails.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2015, 08:30:59 AM »

I just wish politicians of all stripes would get it in their heads that the proper response to a question about anything related to an ongoing investigation is "I'm sorry, but due to the fact that there's an ongoing investigation on that subject, I won't comment at this time." Simple, right? But democrats can't seem to do it, republicans can't seem to do it, heck, the sitting president can't seem to do it. My objection is not to the change in Mr. Sanders' response, my objection is that he (and many others) feel the need to play politics with what I believe to be a very serious matter: those damn emails.

That's the right response for someone who is involved in the investigation which Sanders is not. All he did was the minor step of correcting the misunderstanding that he opposes an investigation.

Going after her constant flip-flops is the bigger thing and stems from the entire reason Sanders is running. Remember this is a guy who is in his 70s, never run for president before, tried to pressure Obama from the left during his presidency, and didn't get in this time until Warren insisted repeatedly she wasn't running. Which is to say, unlike almost every other candidate for president, Sanders appears to be driven by issues not personal ambition. His forum appearance was telling. He laid off Hillary almost entirely and in answer to his dream non-politician job said president of CNN, which wasn't about fun but affecting the national conversation. Sanders doesn't really expect to win the nomination but he wants to move Hillary to her left and pressure her to stay there.

She might end up being a better president thanks to American hero, Bernie Sanders.

SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2015, 09:26:36 AM »

That's the right response for someone who is involved in the investigation which Sanders is not.

I disagree. I believe that's the correct response for anyone either in or running for public office. Any other response indicates that you've already made a decision with regard to what the investigation is all about, how it should proceed, or what conclusions it should reach. How is doing that a good idea?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies