Stronach crosses floor to join Liberals
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:47:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Stronach crosses floor to join Liberals
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Stronach crosses floor to join Liberals  (Read 5659 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 17, 2005, 01:52:15 PM »

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/05/17/stronach-liberals050517.html

This is truly amazing! The tories can kiss ever winning a majority in the future with this moderate gone. My only beef is,  her vote will be in favour of the budget (i.e. non confidence vote) and the chances of us going to the polls this summer decreases. This is certainly surprising that someone would *join* the Liberals when they're down in the polls.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 01:59:23 PM »

That was rather unexpected.

I wonder if her sweetheart MacKay will follow suit? Wink
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 02:01:48 PM »

That was rather unexpected.

I wonder if her sweetheart MacKay will follow suit? Wink

Not likely. I am betting this would effect their relationship though Cheesy
Peter MacKay, while moderate- is not as moderate as Belinda (he voted against Same-sex marriage) so I think he will stay.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 02:03:28 PM »

I'm sorta torn on my opinion of this.  On one hand, I'm happy to have her in the party, but on another hand, this basically means that she has no chance whatsoever of ever being leader of the Conservative Party now, which is really too bad.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 02:03:54 PM »

Maybe she sleeping with Bill Clinton again. Wink
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 02:39:26 PM »

I'm sorta torn on my opinion of this.  On one hand, I'm happy to have her in the party, but on another hand, this basically means that she has no chance whatsoever of ever being leader of the Conservative Party now, which is really too bad.

My sentiments exactly. Plus, we may not be going to the polls now. Sad
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 04:32:41 PM »

Not all that suprising. Interesting there's rumours that one or two Liberal M.P's might go the other way.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2005, 04:45:46 PM »

Not all that suprising. Interesting there's rumours that one or two Liberal M.P's might go the other way.

There were. David Kilgour became an independent, and the other guy had a press conference saying he was sticking around. Now I am hearing rumours that Loyola Hearn, a Stronach supporter may join Belinda, but I doubt it.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2005, 04:47:50 PM »
« Edited: May 17, 2005, 04:53:31 PM by htmldon »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I almost cried when I saw this thread.   Every time a moderate betrays one party for another, it loses credibility for those moderates that are left.  My sympathies are no longer for Ms. Stronanch, they now reside with moderate members of the CPC that will have to account for this loss.
Siege40

Political Matrix
E: -6.25, S: -4.26

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2005, 05:36:45 PM »

Stronach is a joke, not because of her politics, but her behaviour, a freshmen MP won't be a Leader anytime soon. With no political experience she nearly became leader of the Tories, and her talk lead some to believe she was preparing for another run at leadership. My hope is that she loses her seat regardless of her party affiliation.

Siege
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2005, 05:52:08 PM »

*gasp*

She was a light of liberty in a party that has a few dark spots, namely its dimwit leader Stephen Harper.   She would have made a much better, more inclusive leader for a new party.

Stronach is a joke, not because of her politics, but her behaviour, a freshmen MP won't be a Leader anytime soon. With no political experience she nearly became leader of the Tories, and her talk lead some to believe she was preparing for another run at leadership. My hope is that she loses her seat regardless of her party affiliation.

Siege
Siege40

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2005, 05:56:39 PM »

Stephen Harper is indicative of Canadian Conservative Party, and is experienced and a relatively good politician. Belinda Stronach is holding her first political office... ever...

Siege
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2005, 06:57:17 PM »

Stephen Harper is indicative of Canadian Conservative Party, and is experienced and a relatively good politician. Belinda Stronach is holding her first political office... ever...

Siege

Brian Mulroney was elected leader with no experience. Ms. Stronach is exactly what this country needs. I think you're just afraid of a woman being Prime Minister.
Siege40

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2005, 07:04:58 PM »

Indeed, women are the real problem, I don't know why we even let them vote.

Even if Stronach has no experience, knowledge of the political system, or public experience, she deserves to be PM!

Siege
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2005, 07:11:40 PM »

Even if Stronach has no experience, knowledge of the political system, or public experience, she deserves to be PM!

Siege

Just because she is a woman doesn't mean she doesnt have any knowledge of the political system. Of that she has tons. She may not have much experience, but she now has an infinite more experience than Mulroney had when he became Prime Minister.  Her moderate views would have saved the Conservatives, and her breath of fresh air is what will save the Liberals in the long term.
Siege40

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2005, 07:18:44 PM »

Siege

Just because she is a woman doesn't mean she doesnt have any knowledge of the political system. Of that she has tons. She may not have much experience, but she now has an infinite more experience than Mulroney had when he became Prime Minister.  Her moderate views would have saved the Conservatives, and her breath of fresh air is what will save the Liberals in the long term.

I wish I could remember the specific event, but Stronach at one time did not know a basic procedural motion of the House. It had something to do with a vote I believe.

Holding up Brian Mulroney isn't really great either, I don't like Brian Mulroney, and it isn't a good defense since I dislike his Prime Ministership and he was also inexperienced. Experience matters even on some local or provincial level. Some is always better than none at all.

Siege
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2005, 08:13:31 PM »

I was rather hoping that the liberals would lose the no confidence vote while the Queen was in-country
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2005, 09:29:48 PM »

Siege

I wish I could remember the specific event, but Stronach at one time did not know a basic procedural motion of the House. It had something to do with a vote I believe.

Holding up Brian Mulroney isn't really great either, I don't like Brian Mulroney, and it isn't a good defense since I dislike his Prime Ministership and he was also inexperienced. Experience matters even on some local or provincial level. Some is always better than none at all.

Siege

Obviously, Liberals don't like Mulroney, and I am in that boat. But it wasn't his lack of experience that made him a bad Prime Minister. Belinda knows the ropes now, and I hope she's our Prime Minister one day.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2005, 09:31:16 PM »

I was rather hoping that the liberals would lose the no confidence vote while the Queen was in-country

I heard somewhere that the Queen can't be in the country during an election campaign.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2005, 10:06:33 PM »

I hope she "pulls a Churchill".  She flirts with the liberals, comes back to the CPC, becomes its leader, and becomes the greatest prime minister ever Smiley

Siege

Siege

Obviously, Liberals don't like Mulroney, and I am in that boat. But it wasn't his lack of experience that made him a bad Prime Minister. Belinda knows the ropes now, and I hope she's our Prime Minister one day.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2005, 11:07:53 PM »

I hope she "pulls a Churchill".  She flirts with the liberals, comes back to the CPC, becomes its leader, and becomes the greatest prime minister ever Smiley

Siege

Siege

Well, there's no question that whatever party she's the leader of- she will be the best PM ever Cheesy (except for maybe Trudeau)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2005, 11:24:11 PM »

[I heard somewhere that the Queen can't be in the country during an election campaign.

She does try to stay out of a country (other than the UK of course) during an election season so as to avoid having her visits drawn into electoral politics, but there is no requirement that she do so.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2005, 12:07:29 AM »

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, that's what I'm REALLY doing now!!! My mom is TOTALLY PISSED!!!!
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2005, 03:17:59 AM »

Wow. Well, after her dad ruined Austrian football forevermore, I guess she tried and failed to do the same to the Conservatives, and will now try it on the Liberals. Tongue
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2005, 03:34:27 AM »

Wow. Well, after her dad ruined Austrian football forevermore, I guess she tried and failed to do the same to the Conservatives, and will now try it on the Liberals. Tongue

What do you have against the lovely Ms. Stronach?
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies