Issues by state
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:43:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Issues by state
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Issues by state  (Read 636 times)
Bismarck
Chancellor

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 05, 2015, 12:04:28 PM »

Which states vote more on economic issues and which states vote more on social/ other issues?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 03:05:40 PM »

That's impossible to tell.  Every state swings more on either side of that from election to election based on the national conversation more than there is a difference between states in any one election.

I'd say the states that hold elections in odd years probably get more values voters. 

Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 01:11:09 PM »

I thinks it's a safe bet that most states vote more on social issues; otherwise, you wouldn't have wealthy, fiscally conservative strongholds voting solidly D.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 09:57:07 PM »

I thinks it's a safe bet that most states vote more on social issues; otherwise, you wouldn't have wealthy, fiscally conservative strongholds voting solidly D.

When you break down the precinct maps of a lot of wealthy counties, the richest voters still go Republican even if the area votes Democrat.  "Richest counties" is a very misleading election thing to look at, because those counties often have poorer and/or minority heavy areas mixed with extremely high income.  For example, CT is "wealthy," but it's by no means fiscally conservative...

I think most people in general vote on fiscal issues with the exceptions being evangelical heavy states and big cities that vote so overwhelmingly Dem that they drown out the rest of the state.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 10:08:43 AM »

When you break down the precinct maps of a lot of wealthy counties, the richest voters still go Republican even if the area votes Democrat.  "Richest counties" is a very misleading election thing to look at, because those counties often have poorer and/or minority heavy areas mixed with extremely high income.  For example, CT is "wealthy," but it's by no means fiscally conservative...

I think most people in general vote on fiscal issues with the exceptions being evangelical heavy states and big cities that vote so overwhelmingly Dem that they drown out the rest of the state.
Then how do you explain the Democrat trend in the suburban areas around Chicago, New York, Philadelphia, Detroit, etc. since 1992?
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 02:18:09 PM »

Then how do you explain the Democrat trend in the suburban areas around Chicago, New York, Philadelphia, Detroit, etc. since 1992?

I think that's *largely* the middle class swinging Dem.  The richest precincts in most places still go R.

Hey, I'm sure a ton of people do vote on social issues ... I think they're chumps, but whatever.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 03:40:32 PM »

I think that's *largely* the middle class swinging Dem.  The richest precincts in most places still go R.

Hey, I'm sure a ton of people do vote on social issues ... I think they're chumps, but whatever.

I don't see why the folks who vote on social issues are "chumps."  Obama hasn't pursued massive tax increases on anyone; even though Democrats sound like they favor massive redistribution, all of them except Bernie Sanders know that it's just not going to happen in the real world - and only those making $250,000+ a year will likely pay more in taxes.  Similarly, Republicans likely will not be as relentless in cutting the budget or making taxes flatter as they may seem on the campaign trail.  In light of this reality, it's not hard to see why people may put more emphasis on social issues than economic ones.  If Sanders is nominated, of course, that would change.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies