Obama Releases Trans Pacific Partnership Deal Details; Congress Prepares For Deb (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:48:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama Releases Trans Pacific Partnership Deal Details; Congress Prepares For Deb (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama Releases Trans Pacific Partnership Deal Details; Congress Prepares For Deb  (Read 8755 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« on: November 08, 2015, 05:27:44 AM »

I regret voting for this crazy neoliberal President.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 01:44:29 AM »

I'm not going to condemn the deal based on limited information, but I'm not about to embrace it, either. I still don't have a good understanding of its implications in anything but the broadest strokes and, judging from the analysis that I've read since its release, no one who is in a position to publish their commentary does either - yet, at least.

What is clear is that the politics of the agreement are toxic, and in a way that cuts across party coalitions in the United States. It'll be interesting to watch how the deal's proponents try to answer the opposition: Will there be a real effort to mobilize political support, or will opposition remain narrow enough that the agreement can pass quietly in most countries without legislators who vote in favor facing negative electoral consequences?

I agree.  Nobody seems to have an extremely informed opinion on either side of this issue.  One side is more misinformed, the protectionist side, but nobody seems to really understand the nuances of this issue. 

But, if we're having a debate about trade barriers, it seems to me that the burden of proof should be on the protectionists.  Free trade ought be the basic default rule.

Free trade is the biggest myth. Its not free trade.

And the worst parts about TPP aren't even about trade.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 02:05:02 AM »

I'm not going to condemn the deal based on limited information, but I'm not about to embrace it, either. I still don't have a good understanding of its implications in anything but the broadest strokes and, judging from the analysis that I've read since its release, no one who is in a position to publish their commentary does either - yet, at least.

What is clear is that the politics of the agreement are toxic, and in a way that cuts across party coalitions in the United States. It'll be interesting to watch how the deal's proponents try to answer the opposition: Will there be a real effort to mobilize political support, or will opposition remain narrow enough that the agreement can pass quietly in most countries without legislators who vote in favor facing negative electoral consequences?

I agree.  Nobody seems to have an extremely informed opinion on either side of this issue.  One side is more misinformed, the protectionist side, but nobody seems to really understand the nuances of this issue. 

But, if we're having a debate about trade barriers, it seems to me that the burden of proof should be on the protectionists.  Free trade ought be the basic default rule.

Free trade is the biggest myth. Its not free trade.

And the worst parts about TPP aren't even about trade.

Exacley it's a giant global corporate scam against American working people. "Obama" and the Republican Blue Bloods like Bohner Ryan and McCain are traitors to the Republic. They sold American working people out to giant predator corporations.

Sometimes it's kind of surprising when I realize I agree so much with a Republican on an issue. But then I remember it's the establishment of both parties to blame for stuff like TPP.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies