No Shave November
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:50:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  No Shave November
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: No Shave November  (Read 3029 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2015, 05:20:08 PM »

If somebody a full five years younger than me can grow a beard before I can, I'm officially packing it in and going to the asylum.
Yeah I have a beard puberty really hit me like a train.
It hit most of us Atlasians like a light, cold drop of rain during a April sun shower. The kind that lasts ten seconds and occurs behind your house but not in front of it.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2015, 07:32:01 PM »

I'm in. But then again I've been growing a beard in Nov and every other month for 35 years.

No trimming?   I recall you looked well maintained.  Wink
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2015, 10:56:44 AM »

Yup, I do it every year. Of course, I love it for the first week or two... than all the grey starts coming in, but whatevs. I started doing it three years ago, and I've been raising decent money. The first year I only got 50 bucks, two years ago I got 150, but last year (I started at my new company, which is MUCH bigger), I was able to raise $500.00. This year, they have said they will match whatever I'm able to raise, so hear is to hoping that it's another good year!
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2015, 11:17:45 AM »

I've never been able to do it, but I'm trying this year.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2015, 11:01:21 PM »

Serious question:  Why isn't Movember more of a thing instead of this thing that isn't even geared around supporting charit-... oh of course.  That's why.  Another thing the rest of the world does better than us.
What? The US actually does better when it comes to charity than all major European welfare states, for instance. See page 11. In terms of donating money, it scores not better but also not worse than most other countries that are ranking really well.

That wasn't really my point.  I was talking about this particular annual event.  In other parts of the world it's a legitimate charity event and limited just to growing mustaches, but here it's apparently just "lol i'm gonna grow a beard lol", or whatever BRTD is referring to.  I'm just curious as to why.

Which countries is this a thing?  Are these places where mustaches are so hard to come by people are willing to pay to see someone grow one?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2015, 04:13:39 AM »

Serious question:  Why isn't Movember more of a thing instead of this thing that isn't even geared around supporting charit-... oh of course.  That's why.  Another thing the rest of the world does better than us.
What? The US actually does better when it comes to charity than all major European welfare states, for instance. See page 11. In terms of donating money, it scores not better but also not worse than most other countries that are ranking really well.

That wasn't really my point.  I was talking about this particular annual event.  In other parts of the world it's a legitimate charity event and limited just to growing mustaches, but here it's apparently just "lol i'm gonna grow a beard lol", or whatever BRTD is referring to.  I'm just curious as to why.

Which countries is this a thing?

Australia, Canada, UK, basically all English-speaking countries but us.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2015, 06:14:33 AM »

Movember hasn't caught on at all in the US as well?  So The Office lied to me?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_evE4in4GA
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2015, 06:20:01 AM »

We call it Movember down here. I shaved (though gotten trims!) like once in about 30 months though. And even then I kept the mo and it was for a specific purpose.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2015, 09:49:00 AM »

I'm in. But then again I've been growing a beard in Nov and every other month for 35 years.

No trimming?   I recall you looked well maintained.  Wink

Not much, since I shift from a 3 to a 4 length for the winter and November is a good month to let it grow a bit. I do trim the 'stache to keep it out of my mouth. Tongue
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2015, 06:34:52 PM »

That's it.

This forum might have been the only place I heard about that. Or well, might happen amongst the few hipsties working in Google/Facebook France offices, stuffs like that.

And well, that's a charity stuff? I found all those 'ice bucket challenge' kind of charity kinda disturbing personally, but then, I might not be the best one to speak about that, I find the only idea of chartity disturbing.

Oh and well, I did 'no shave October' personally, so not sure if I could go till 'no shave November', but I'm lucky it doesn't grow very fast and not a in a messy way.

I'm fully tuned for lazyness.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2015, 07:23:36 AM »

I shave a couple of times per week generally, so on most days I have at least a five-o'clock shadow reminding me of my testicular nature.  I did shave today because I have a meeting this afternoon.

My head hair does start to get shaggy throughout November, so it may appear that I'm participating.  I generally get my hair cut twice per year.  There's a place that has seven-dollar haircuts every Tuesday until noon (normal price is ten dollars).  I try to squeeze one in about the third week of August and again about the second week of January, always on a Tuesday.  By November I have a distinctly Curt Cobain look.  And by the time the Christmas family movies get made, it's more like the Big Lebowsky.  Also, there's a no-shave period from about December 10 through about January 10, so that's my movember. 

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2015, 09:08:52 AM »

I shave a couple of times per week generally, so on most days I have at least a five-o'clock shadow reminding me of my testicular nature.  I did shave today because I have a meeting this afternoon.

My head hair does start to get shaggy throughout November, so it may appear that I'm participating.  I generally get my hair cut twice per year.  There's a place that has seven-dollar haircuts every Tuesday until noon (normal price is ten dollars).  I try to squeeze one in about the third week of August and again about the second week of January, always on a Tuesday.  By November I have a distinctly Curt Cobain look.  And by the time the Christmas family movies get made, it's more like the Big Lebowsky.  Also, there's a no-shave period from about December 10 through about January 10, so that's my movember. 

Ha ha, I'll have to stop by for a visit in August or January, because by my usual April/May passing by you've got the Cobain look going big time.  Smiley
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2015, 12:41:10 PM »

There's a place that has seven-dollar haircuts every Tuesday until noon (normal price is ten dollars).  I try to squeeze one in about the third week of August and again about the second week of January, always on a Tuesday.  By November I have a distinctly Curt Cobain look.  And by the time the Christmas family movies get made, it's more like the Big Lebowsky.

Waaah, you would hardly find a male haircut for less that 18€ here actually, the cheapest I might have heard of was 15€, and it's some kind of 'low-cost' chains in big cities. I amazingly found a nice woman doing it for 11€ in a rough district of Castres once, but dunno if it still exists, seems to belong to a parallel universe now.

Oh and Curt Cobain and Big Lebowsky could have sometimes been part of my 'suits' too.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2015, 01:25:25 PM »

I haven't shaved since late September.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2015, 09:52:30 AM »

Waaah, you would hardly find a male haircut for less that 18€ here actually, the cheapest I might have heard of was 15€, and it's some kind of 'low-cost' chains in big cities. I amazingly found a nice woman doing it for 11€ in a rough district of Castres once, but dunno if it still exists, seems to belong to a parallel universe now.

There aren't many around here under 15 dollars either, and Champs is the only place I know of under ten dollars (and that's only on Tuesdays till noon).

Still, I was amazed to learn of the money spent here on primping, back when there was a haircut thread about a year ago.  I learned that most of the forum posters were spending several hundred dollars per year on their hair.  Not just haircuts, either, but goops, greases, and viscous concoctions keenly marketed, apparently, to the types of young men who haunt Dave Leip's US Election Atlas Forum.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies