VATICAN: No Need to Convert Jews
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:51:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  VATICAN: No Need to Convert Jews
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: VATICAN: No Need to Convert Jews  (Read 2124 times)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 12, 2015, 03:15:54 PM »
« edited: December 12, 2015, 04:15:39 PM by smilo »

Incredible news from The Holy See: The Jews are already in a salvific state, and there is no need to convert them.

I am busy now, so I'm sure I'm just reading the headlines, but this huge news must be discussed. Can't wait to hear what the conservatives have to say. This will either be completely meaningless and misinterpreted or an outrage to the entirety of Christianity depending on your denomination, I'm sure.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/11/world/europe/vatican-says-catholics-should-not-try-to-convert-jews.html?smprod=nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share&_r=1
Small L
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 04:09:56 PM »

People have been twisting the meaning of this document for a while now. If you're just reading the headlines, you're going to come away with a very confused notion of its authority and content.

Long story short, the document (called "The Gifts and Calling of God are irrevocable") is just a "reflection" and holds no binding power doctrinally or magisterially.

As for evangelizing to Jews, the relevant section of the document reads:

"The Church is therefore obliged to view evangelisation to Jews, who believe in the one God, in a different manner from that to people of other religions and world views. In concrete terms this means that the Catholic Church neither conducts nor supports any specific institutional mission work directed towards Jews. While there is a principled rejection of an institutional Jewish mission, Christians are nonetheless called to bear witness to their faith in Jesus Christ also to Jews, although they should do so in a humble and sensitive manner, acknowledging that Jews are bearers of God’s Word, and particularly in view of the great tragedy of the Shoah."

So yeah, "incredible news" indeed..
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 04:12:31 PM »

Haha, I absolutely knew this would be debunked immediately. You would think seeing it in reputable news sources would be better than just the Facial, but no.
Small L
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 04:14:00 PM »

It isn't a bad document though. If you happen to have time you can read it here:
http://www.news.va/en/news/vatican-issues-new-document-on-christian-jewish-di
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 03:35:31 PM »

Seeing as how almost all the first Christians were converts from Judaism this type of position has never struck me as making any sense at all.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 07:27:37 PM »

Seeing as how almost all the first Christians were converts from Judaism this type of position has never struck me as making any sense at all.

'Needn't', 'shouldn't', and 'mustn't' are not the same thing.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 07:36:41 PM »

This has been the standard Catholic/Western position since Augustine.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 06:58:02 PM »

Whatever the actual document says, I think that Jewish-Catholic relations have been heading towards a positive direction at a very fast rate. And I am thankful for that, as a Jew.

I understand that Christianity and Catholicism are both rooted in conversion and that is fine, but what I have always asked is to be respected and left alone if I clearly tell them to leave me alone.

Catholics have always been respectful in this sense, in my experience. Evangelicals...not so much.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 03:14:52 AM »

Now it would be nice, if they stop trying to convert Hindus and when we don't want converting missions in the country, cry to christian persecution.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies