Is God a mass murderer? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:56:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Is God a mass murderer? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is God a mass murderer?  (Read 2976 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« on: November 12, 2015, 10:59:12 AM »

What I've never understood about theology is that there is a need to make God omnibenevolent. As benevolence is a human trait centred around human ideals of morality, it stands to reason that a deity would not be bound to "goodness". Clearly "God" - quite aside from the actions of Yahweh - does not act in a way humans would call "moral". He arbitrarily punishes the beings He has created depending on whether they worship him or not (Rather than using his omnipotent powers to, err, cure original sin with a snap of the divine fingers). I mean, good for Him - as our Creator that's his prerogative - but it isn't a mark of benevolence to send your creations into a confusing world full of many religions and faiths and punishing them if they don't stumble upon the right one.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 09:04:41 AM »

I maintain that free will given by a being infinitely wiser and more powerful than us is essentially an amoral act on god's part, and downright immoral from a humane perspective. Much like giving free will to a baby, it seems like downright neglect on the deity's part, especially considering the eternal consequences of making the wrong decision. He doesn't even have to take over free will! Why couldn't He simply rearrange all the stars to spell out "yes I'm real, sorry Dawkins start grovelling now"? Why go through the incredibly painstaking process of incarnating himself as a human in a world crawling with self-professed prophets and then sacrificing himself?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies