Is God a mass murderer? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:08:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Is God a mass murderer? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is God a mass murderer?  (Read 2946 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« on: November 06, 2015, 02:25:57 AM »

Crypto-Marcionite talking points aside, I think it might be misleading to treat this separately from the question of natural evil.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 11:58:42 AM »
« Edited: November 06, 2015, 12:09:09 PM by 秋と修羅 »

Crypto-Marcionite talking points aside, I think it might be misleading to treat this separately from the question of natural evil.

Not if the concept of 'natural evil' from a theological perspective  was in part postulated in order to give a justification or at least a framework for god ordained biblical atrocities.

'Natural evil' is not a concept a non believer would need to grapple with as he has no reason to judge naturally occurring atrocities in moral terms.

So I think it should be treated separately from that branch of apologist theology.

The idea that 'natural evil' is a concept that only 'apologist theology' would want to deal with isn't one I've encountered before. One needn't be interested in 'apologist theology' or even religious to have a desire to account for a morally significant universe.

Even if it is only relevant to 'apologist theology', I don't really understand why you think that that makes it irrelevant here. Obviously it would be irrelevant to your interested, but the OP was asking all of us, and the question posed presupposes (even if only for purposes of argument) that God exists, so for those of us who do believe in God it falls into the same category of 'questions that require God's existence in order to be interesting' that you think the question of natural evil does.

Put another way, 'if God did exist, would he be a mass murderer?' is the sort of question that can be--you'll probably disagree that it should be, but it can be--answered in the same sorts of ways as 'if God did exist, whence ebola and hurricanes?'.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 07:55:57 PM »

Is it not therefore possible to construct an answer to this question without making the assumption that natural acts have any intrinsic value at all?

You know, you're right.

I'll reword my first post in this thread: I understand why one would ask this question, but, Crypto-Marcionite talking points aside, my first instinct would be to fold it into the question of natural evil, and I have a hard time seeing answers that I personally would consider substantive that don't connect to that question.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 12:37:21 AM »

Somehow, millions of Jewish people manage.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Hell isn't discussed at any great length in the Old Testament.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 09:29:53 PM »

Hell isn't discussed at any great length in the Old Testament.

Why would it be? They have no concept of it. They knew (before the advance of Hellenistic Judaism advanced greek notions of Hades which is a side topic in itself) that sheol was a repose for all souls, held accountable for a finite time period because god's justice would not be served by eternal suffering. However if you're both talking about god, then the Christian concept of hell and how Christianity stumbled on that (as it did with almost every other key parts of the faith) in the centuries after Jesus' death is important. You can't just hive it off as someone else theological problem.

My response was what it was because The Arizonan seemed like he was associating 'big bad Old Testament God' rhetoric with the concept of Hell.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 07:26:48 PM »

Sometimes I just want to go burn a copy of the Bible.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies