Unemployment Drops to 5%; Rate Hike in December Now Likely
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:31:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Unemployment Drops to 5%; Rate Hike in December Now Likely
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Unemployment Drops to 5%; Rate Hike in December Now Likely  (Read 3648 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 06, 2015, 09:00:18 AM »

Payrolls in U.S. Climb Most This Year, Jobless Rate at 5%

by Shobhana Chandra 
November 6, 2015 — 8:30 AM EST
Updated on November 6, 2015 — 8:51 AM EST

You must be logged in to read this quote.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 10:30:41 AM »

Obama has made America great again.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 01:54:24 PM »

If Congress passes the current budget deal and averts a government shutdown/default, there is going to be enormous pressure on the Fed to raise interest rates come December. Central bankers see the specter of inflation everywhere.
That's not what the Fed was saying last month. That was a complete reversal thanks to pressure from the worldwide slowdown (i.e. everybody but us). Imo, I'd say March at the earliest, and that's being conservative since I really don't want to speak according to a time horizon.
Apparently I was so wrong I was right.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 02:30:54 PM »
« Edited: November 07, 2015, 08:15:49 PM by smilo »

If Congress passes the current budget deal and averts a government shutdown/default, there is going to be enormous pressure on the Fed to raise interest rates come December. Central bankers see the specter of inflation everywhere.
That's not what the Fed was saying last month. That was a complete reversal thanks to pressure from the worldwide slowdown (i.e. everybody but us). Imo, I'd say March at the earliest, and that's being conservative since I really don't want to speak according to a time horizon.
Apparently I was so wrong I was right.

Yes you were right it would appear. Smiley

Still, I don't think that makes it the correct decision if they go this route (see: q3 projected gdp growth), but I am beginning to see the rationale based on new data (a big reversal from the last 2 months). 10 bps would be easy to tolerate for sure. At least they are remaining data driven rather than giving a timeframe in advance which was ridiculous.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 06:54:48 PM »

The Federal Reserve shouldn't raise interest rates. That, to me, is a fundamental misreading of the data. Inflation is not a real concern, given the fact that wages are only beginning to rise. The real economy hasn't been doing as well as the statistical data suggests, meaning that most people are barely making enough. Real wages are only beginning to grow (and we haven't established a pattern of sustained real wage growth). Inflation isn't about to spiral out of control, given the weak recovery and the fact there is a ton of deflationary pressures on the economy.

The fear of inflation is overblown. Putting the brakes on the economic expansion now in the hopes of making it a "guided expansion" is ridiculous (and has it ever worked successfully in the past?) As a Republican, I hope the Federal Reserve raises the interest rate (lessening chances of a Hillary win). But speaking strictly, I think it's a foolish policy idea.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 01:25:59 AM »

The Federal Reserve shouldn't raise interest rates. That, to me, is a fundamental misreading of the data. Inflation is not a real concern, given the fact that wages are only beginning to rise. The real economy hasn't been doing as well as the statistical data suggests, meaning that most people are barely making enough. Real wages are only beginning to grow (and we haven't established a pattern of sustained real wage growth). Inflation isn't about to spiral out of control, given the weak recovery and the fact there is a ton of deflationary pressures on the economy.

The fear of inflation is overblown. Putting the brakes on the economic expansion now in the hopes of making it a "guided expansion" is ridiculous (and has it ever worked successfully in the past?) As a Republican, I hope the Federal Reserve raises the interest rate (lessening chances of a Hillary win). But speaking strictly, I think it's a foolish policy idea.

With the exception of this part, I absolutely agree with this post.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 10:49:17 AM »

Tbh with the small bump in wages and the plethora of job openings, I will be somewhat surprised if unemployment falls below 5% soon, as I would have expected more people to enter the labor force and drive the rate up.

If it does fall below 5% next month, that might be of some interest for all you stats junkies, as the unemployment rate usually takes 2 years or more to drop below 5% from the time it dropped below the 6% mark (late 1994 - early 1997, mid 2003 to mid 2005, etc.). Late 2014 - late 2015 would be a new record.

It usually falls to the 5% - 5.6% range and bounces around in that range as growth, wages, and job creation increase, but hey I guess there's a first time for everything. 
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 01:56:01 PM »

Tbh with the small bump in wages and the plethora of job openings, I will be somewhat surprised if unemployment falls below 5% soon, as I would have expected more people to enter the labor force and drive the rate up.

Honestly, to piggyback on my prior post and the discussion here, the reason the unemployment rate isn't going down further faster is because of a mismatch between jobs and skills. I think that deflationary pressures would significantly ease if more of the population had college degrees or certifications that matched the requirements for most of the still available jobs. Wages aren't growing in my view partially because of that, partially because of the overhang of debt (student debt, etc). Plus, consumer spending is finally taking off after people spending years paying off their debt and being more careful with spending.

Of course, labor participation is the lowest rate it is since the 1970s for a myriad of reasons (older aging population, maybe, early retirements, etc. I'm not really sure.).
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2015, 03:08:30 PM »

I honestly can't figure out why on God's green earth they would raise rates in December.  If they do, I have to seriously wonder about their mental capacities.

Not only is inflation not a deal right now.. it's near post WWII lows (read:  there is no inflation... the September rate was 0.0% and for 2015 we're at 0)... but the rate of wage and employment growth is hardly anywhere near thresholds to warrant action.

The only decent argument I heard, from Foucaulf, was that we have a responsibility to the world and right now returns on American bonds are so low that people are instead buying up and shorting other countries' bonds and ruining their economies... so us raising rates might encourage more selling of American bonds instead.

But that argument is hardly a reason to potentially harm the economy, make the U.S. dollar even stronger, and nip wage and employment growth in the bud just as it begins to move upwards.

If they raise rates.. they're either woefully incompetent or they have ulterior motives.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2015, 06:26:46 PM »

This could have very well have been a Paul Krugman blogpost, and you're right of course.
Let's hope that Yellen doesn't make the same mistake Trichet did at the beginning of the European crisis.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2015, 09:04:15 PM »

I honestly can't figure out why on God's green earth they would raise rates in December.  If they do, I have to seriously wonder about their mental capacities.

Not only is inflation not a deal right now.. it's near post WWII lows (read:  there is no inflation... the September rate was 0.0% and for 2015 we're at 0)... but the rate of wage and employment growth is hardly anywhere near thresholds to warrant action.

The only decent argument I heard, from Foucaulf, was that we have a responsibility to the world and right now returns on American bonds are so low that people are instead buying up and shorting other countries' bonds and ruining their economies... so us raising rates might encourage more selling of American bonds instead.

But that argument is hardly a reason to potentially harm the economy, make the U.S. dollar even stronger, and nip wage and employment growth in the bud just as it begins to move upwards.

If they raise rates.. they're either woefully incompetent or they have ulterior motives.

Maybe they have some European vacations planned for next year and want more bang for their buck.  Im going to hold off on converting my money to euros for my upcoming trip until they decide on the rates.  Fingers crossed it goes up!
Ishiharafan50

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2015, 06:05:52 PM »

fake
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2015, 12:55:43 AM »

This is an awful time for this to happen. This gives a full year for the Fed's actions to result in an economic hiccup within six to nine months of their action. If they continued these policies anyway, I'd expect it to result into what would result in the unemployment rate rising to 5.75-6.33% by next November. It's just an educated guess, but an economic bubble caused by any Republican who came into office to change it could keep unemployment down for four to five years. By the time anything like 2007-2008 happened again, it would be 2021-2022. Bad news for Democrats if the Fed goes through with this.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2015, 10:55:36 AM »

Interest rate rise here we come!
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2015, 12:35:43 PM »

Ugh fyck that. Let's hope this is all just a nasty rumour.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2015, 01:33:34 PM »

Robust Jobs Report All but Guarantees Fed Will Raise Rates

By NELSON D. SCHWARTZ
DEC. 4, 2015

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2015, 04:06:19 PM »
« Edited: December 04, 2015, 04:09:34 PM by Green Line »

Yay! A stronger dollar is a good thing
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2015, 04:48:25 PM »

With the ISM index at 48.6? LOL! This better be 10 bps max!
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2015, 07:16:37 PM »

With the ISM index at 48.6? LOL! This better be 10 bps max!

Yellen low-key trying to derail the economy to help Trump (noted as the most left-wing candidate in the race, as opposed to neoliberal mass murderer Hillary), 'mirite guys?
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2015, 10:48:46 PM »

Or maybe... I don't know... the economy could actually be doing okay?
Hillary pays minimum wage
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2015, 12:20:42 AM »

Another brain dead liberal who thinks government is the answer to everything. Sit around and collect other people's money is what makes America great? It's ok you're proof the Democrats are capable of selling to at least some people.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2015, 09:08:11 PM »

Another brain dead liberal who thinks government is the answer to everything. Sit around and collect other people's money is what makes America great? It's ok you're proof the Democrats are capable of selling to at least some people.
You should buy gold.
Hillary pays minimum wage
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2015, 10:44:21 PM »

You should buy gold.

That's all us Republicans buy. Don't you listen to Mike Savage?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies