Mideast Gubernatorial Debate II
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:27:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Mideast Gubernatorial Debate II
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mideast Gubernatorial Debate II  (Read 789 times)
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 17, 2005, 04:57:32 PM »

Welcome to the second Mideast Gubernatorial Debate, between the incumbent Joe Republic (Independent) and the challenger Opebo (Independent Liberal). This debate will use a townhall format; the voters will have the opportunity to ask the questions. All Atlasians are invited to participate.

Have fun!
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 04:59:18 PM »

Mr. Republic, what if any initiatives do you plan to introduce if you get re-elected?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 06:38:46 PM »

Mr. Republic, you have stated that in most cases you are against abortions performed during the third trimester.  What, if any, restrictions do you support on abortions performed before that time period?

Mr. Opebo, you have stated that murder is merely an 'inconvenience to society.'  Do you believe that some types of murders are worse than others?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 06:40:45 PM »

Opebo, in a world without any laws or boundaries, plan out your normal day.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 06:49:44 PM »

hey Joe, what are the main items on your agenda for your next possible years in office?

opebo, how do you plan on making the mideast a better place than Joe has things right now?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 07:03:26 PM »

Thank you again, Emsworth, for moderating this debate.

Mr. Republic, what if any initiatives do you plan to introduce if you get re-elected?
hey Joe, what are the main items on your agenda for your next possible years in office?

Thank you for your questions.  As I described in our first debate, I plan several proposals for the Mideast region - all of which will benefit it in many valuable ways.  I'll describe a few of my plans for you now.

First, I hope to review the healthcare situation.  I plan to introduce a tax break scheme for all Mideast corporations as an incentive for them to provide health insurance for their employees.  Additionally, I'll increase funding to the Medicare and Medicaid programs, to ensure that everybody eligible for that support is sufficiently covered.  I plan to force the private medical corporations and drug companies to contribute to the cost of those increases.

I'll also support the introduction of a school voucher program in the Mideast region, because I support parents' right to choose where and how their children are educated, and how their tax dollars are spent.  Ultimately I believe it is the best course of action for the education of the next generation.

I also hope to review the economic situation in the so-called "Rust Belt" area.  I intend to look at exactly where regional spending is going, and how effectively it is being used.  I'll also review existing free trade agreements in the industrial sector, to ensure that our regional economy is not being cheated or exploited by aggressive international competition.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 07:12:11 PM »
« Edited: May 17, 2005, 07:23:23 PM by Frodo »

I'll also support the introduction of a school voucher program in the Mideast region, because I support parents' right to choose where and how their children are educated, and how their tax dollars are spent.  Ultimately I believe it is the best course of action for the education of the next generation.

speaking of school vouchers, wouldn't it be better to experiment first with pilot programs in individual states and municipalities to work out the quirks -so to speak- before applying school vouchers on a regional scale? 
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2005, 07:15:47 PM »

Mr. Republic, you have stated that in most cases you are against abortions performed during the third trimester.  What, if any, restrictions do you support on abortions performed before that time period?

This is always a difficult issue to address, due to the emotional factors involved, and its sheer divisiveness as well.

I now support the current regional legislation on this topic, which was passed last month by a 75% majority, as an acceptable compromise.  It allows abortions to continue before the third trimester, which I personally accept as the point when the fetus gains the right to life.

Of course, I fully accept that other people may disagree with this point of view, and the current legislation as well.  That is why I don't intend to take any hardline, dogmatic position on the abortion issue, as that would only serve to create an even wider divide.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2005, 07:32:40 PM »

speaking of school vouchers, wouldn't it be better to experiment first with pilot programs in individual states and municipalities to work out the quirks -so to speak- before applying school vouchers on a regional scale? 

Generally I like your idea, but I wouldn't really like the thought of 'experimenting' with our children's education.  Specifically, introducing the voucher scheme in some districts before others gives those children an unfair advantage (or perhaps even disadvantage) over others.

Instead, I intend to implement carefully planned models to see what effect a voucher scheme would have in every single area of the Mideast.  Based on those models, I intend to 'tailor make' each scheme to suit each school district.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2005, 10:47:03 PM »

I'm trying to think of a good question to ask.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2005, 12:12:42 PM »

Bump.

Note that Opebo is currently out of action for a few days while he moves back to Missouri, so he may be delayed in responding to your questions.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies