Ben Carson admits fabricating West Point scholarship
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:28:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Ben Carson admits fabricating West Point scholarship
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Ben Carson admits fabricating West Point scholarship  (Read 11396 times)
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2015, 04:58:27 PM »

Politico clearly screwed up yesterday, but the WSJ stuff could sink him or bring out more stories that don't stand up to scrutiny.  And WSJ is harder than most to shrug off as the liberal media.

There is another angle to the WSJ story and that is that he appears to be lying about being named "the most honest student"...that is getting a lot of LOLs on social media today. The story is moving from one of scrutiny to mockery. At the very least this is going to deflate his GE polling, because most non Republicans really dont know much about Carson.

Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #76 on: November 07, 2015, 05:28:57 PM »

What I take away from the West Point story is that a recruiter tried to get Ben Carson to join the army and Ben Carsons's take away from that experience was "Whoa! I'm a genius!"
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2015, 10:32:45 PM »

http://money.cnn.com/2015/11/06/media/ben-carson-politico-west-point/

So, this happened?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2015, 11:02:35 PM »

I think this is more a Trojan horse moment.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2015, 01:08:43 PM »

Not sure which thread to put this in:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/book-party/wp/2015/11/05/ben-carson-the-humblebragging-instrument-of-god/?postshare=5381446987566289
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2015, 02:51:05 PM »

Did Ben Carson murder is alcoholic secretary rather than risk letting her down by firing her?
Extrabase500
Rookie
United States

« Reply #81 on: November 08, 2015, 03:00:45 PM »

Again Herman Cain 2.0!
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2015, 03:03:22 PM »

This is a picture from Carson's house. It strikes me as just a tad megalomanical to hang...that...in your house.

Is that black Jesus or supertanned Jesus?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2015, 03:10:05 PM »

This is a picture from Carson's house. It strikes me as just a tad megalomanical to hang...that...in your house.

Is that black Jesus or supertanned Jesus?

Well Jesus wasn't white.
Zache

« Reply #84 on: November 08, 2015, 03:15:47 PM »

That is really freaking creepy.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #85 on: November 08, 2015, 03:39:09 PM »

Did Ben Carson murder is alcoholic secretary rather than risk letting her down by firing her?

So, would 'murder via divine intervention' be 2nd or 3rd degree homicide?
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #86 on: November 08, 2015, 03:50:23 PM »

All the stuff about how he sees himself as some kind of gift from God explains that picture with Klingon Jesus. Here are a couple of other quotes:

How do you deal with someone who thinks he is a divine instrument on a holy mission? Someone like that is not the kind of person who can compromise or negotiate, he is right because Jesus is his copilot
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #87 on: November 08, 2015, 06:16:39 PM »

Putting all the religious stuff aside ...
I just don't see where the appeal is from the Republican electorate on Carson or Trump.
I mean .... are the voters nuts !!  Why all the support for these wacky nut-jobs ?!?!
Yes they're different, but I mean they are really, really "different" !
It just scares me, thinking of where the Republican party is heading.

There seems to be too many desperate, un-educated individuals, and their support for these crazies is just mind-boggling.
The more stupid things the candidates say, the more wood people seem to display (in this party).
Ugggggggggggg !!
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #88 on: November 08, 2015, 07:24:50 PM »

I just don't see where the appeal is from the Republican electorate on Carson or Trump.
I mean .... are the voters nuts !!  Why all the support for these wacky nut-jobs ?!?!

There seems to be too many desperate, un-educated individuals, and their support for these crazies is just mind-boggling.
The more stupid things the candidates say, the more wood people seem to display (in this party).
Ugggggggggggg !!

ProudModerate2 is back to his old antics. Anybody you don't understand, or does not echo your party's talking points is a wacky nut-job.

Why don't you just say you're a Democrat, cause I have never seen a post of yours that diverted an inch from your party line.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #89 on: November 08, 2015, 08:03:50 PM »

Ugggggggggggg !!

I think its a positive-feedback loop that's gotten out of control. For decades, the Republican faithful have been hearing that the the Democrats are all anti-American traitors out to destroy civilization and ruin the children, and similar nonsense. As the GOP has become more focused with their propaganda, the way Americans consume information has also become more stratified, so there is less and less moderating discussion to bring internal models of the way the world works (or should work) towards some sort of acceptable medium.  And the sources of that information are driven further and further down the path of their own narrative in order to keep getting attention (and revenue). This isn't helped by the fact that said sources either appear to be true believers with minor mental disorders or unprincipled and greedy SOBs (sometimes both).

By now, we've reached the point where the positive feedback loop is almost self-sustaining: the ideas that circulate as acceptable and normal in the social-conservative, religious and Tea-Party parts of the GOP are so alien and offensive to people on what used to be the moderate left of the political spectrum that they react as though the Republicans are insane and evil, which just reinforces the Republicans' narrative about Democrats.

It's become so bad that a classic Republican politician who is slightly out of date (Jeb), or who is truly somewhat right of center, but wants to actually do his job (Kasich) seems like a RINO on the verge of selling out the party. But the Republican base isn't completely stupid, just deluded and/or ignorant. They know that the politicians in DC aren't on 'their' side (which, to be fair, they're not) and so the voters go with the non-politicians who echo what they hear on the radio, read on right-wingish forums, or watch on Fox NEWS. Their decisions appear irrational because they're coming from an information sphere that is founded on irrationality, but good luck convincing them of that.

There is a similar process going on on the left side of the isle, too, but I don't think its as out of control (for a whole host of reasons I won't get into here).

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #90 on: November 08, 2015, 09:57:38 PM »
« Edited: November 08, 2015, 11:01:08 PM by ProudModerate2 »

I mean .... are the voters nuts !!  Why all the support for these wacky nut-jobs ?!?!

Ugggggggggggg !!

ProudModerate2 is back to his old antics. Anybody you don't understand, or does not echo your party's talking points is a wacky nut-job.

Why don't you just say you're a Democrat, cause I have never seen a post of yours that diverted an inch from your party line.

Your attempt to discredit me has failed.
Actually, when I entered my beliefs and policy preferences into a website that best matches you with a presidential candidate, my numbers matched closest to Rubio. (I don't remember the name of the website.)

But I shouldn't be surprised by your comments, as I see you proudly displaying your Trump banner/advertisement under your name.
I usually like to call things exactly as they are. I do not hold back from saying things as I see them, just because a candidate is within the same political party as I am. Or who is a of the same gender or race or whatever.

If any candidate says wacky things, I will call you out on it.
With Trump, it all started with his immigration speech where he said ... "They’re sending people that have lots of problems. They’re bringing drugs, they’re bringing crime, they’re rapists—and some, I assume, are good people.”

This Ljube is nutty !
By Trump saying that "some, I assume, are good people," means that in his mind 90 to 95% of these people are associated with drugs, crime and raping. This is not only highly false, but very offensive and crazy. Is there an immigration problem ... yes. Is there a need to better protect our borders ... yes. But you don't go about it by attacking a group of people like this.
Yes these comments will attract the ultra conservative wacky Republicans (aka Tea Party), but in a general election, you just killed any chance of being elected. (Can you imagine commercials being played all day and night, that show Trump saying insane things, in a general election. It's over, hands-down.)

And this is only one comment I have dissected from Trump. There are many. Carson is another strange cat. And don't get me started on Cruz.

Most of the members on this site are intellectuals, and have a better grasp of understanding the "wacky" label I have used. But a slight few, just don't want to open their minds to seeing things from a different viewpoint. They just have their blinders on, and will defend their candidate regardless. It's not difficult to see where you stand, Ljube.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #91 on: November 08, 2015, 10:14:45 PM »

I mean .... are the voters nuts !!  Why all the support for these wacky nut-jobs ?!?!

Ugggggggggggg !!

.....  But the Republican base isn't completely stupid, just deluded and/or ignorant. They know that the politicians in DC aren't on 'their' side (which, to be fair, they're not) and so the voters go with the non-politicians who echo what they hear on the radio, read on right-wingish forums, or watch on Fox NEWS. Their decisions appear irrational because they're coming from an information sphere that is founded on irrationality, but good luck convincing them of that.

All very true Runeghost.
When I "try" to listen, read or watch anything from right-wingish media outlets (as you say), it just drives me insane ! I just cant understand how people get sucked into it. I mean some of it is good commentary and debatable, but much of it is ... (here it comes again) "wacky."
It's like a strange cult, and somehow people were brain-washed into believing this stuff.
All very disturbing, and actually very disappointing and alarming to me.
But what can we do ?

PS : Can you try to convince Ljube on your points, please.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #92 on: November 08, 2015, 11:25:21 PM »

Ugggggggggggg !!

Actually, when I entered my beliefs and policy preferences into a website that best matches you with a presidential candidate, my numbers matched closest to Rubio. (I don't remember the name of the website.)

But I shouldn't be surprised by your comments, as I see you proudly displaying your Trump banner/advertisement under your name.
I usually like to call things exactly as they are. I do not hold back from saying things as I see them, just because a candidate is within the same political party as I am. Or who is a of the same gender or race or whatever.

With Trump, it all started with his immigration speech where he said ... "They’re sending people that have lots of problems. They’re bringing drugs, they’re bringing crime, they’re rapists—and some, I assume, are good people.”

This Ljube is nutty !
By Trump saying that "some, I assume, are good people," means that in his mind 90 to 95% of these people are associated with drugs, crime and raping. This is not only highly false, but very offensive and crazy. Is there an immigration problem ... yes. Is there a need to better protect our borders ... yes. But you don't go about it by attacking a group of people like this.
Yes these comments will attract the ultra conservative wacky Republicans (aka Tea Party), but in a general election, you just killed any chance of being elected. (Can you imagine commercials being played all day and night, that show Trump saying insane things, in a general election. It's over, hands-down.)

And this is only one comment I have dissected from Trump. There are many. Carson is another strange cat. And don't get me started on Cruz.

Most of the members on this site are intellectuals, and have a better grasp of understanding the "wacky" label I have used. But a slight few, just don't want to open their minds to seeing things from a different viewpoint. They just have their blinders on, and will defend their candidate regardless. It's not difficult to see where you stand, Ljube.

Agreeing with a Democrat and disagreeing with a Libertarian (me). That puts you in the same basket with the Democrats.
Some of us have a memory. You were doing the same thing three years ago. You were parroting Obama's talking points and insulting Romney.

I told you that three years ago and I'm gonna tell you the same thing now: Democrats dominate this forum. To have a meaningful discussion, we need more true moderates and not another Obamabot.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #93 on: November 08, 2015, 11:34:26 PM »

Ugggggggggggg !!

This Ljube is nutty !

Agreeing with a Democrat and disagreeing with a Libertarian (me). That puts you in the same basket with the Democrats.
Some of us have a memory. You were doing the same thing three years ago. You were parroting Obama's talking points and insulting Romney.

I told you that three years ago and I'm gonna tell you the same thing now: Democrats dominate this forum. To have a meaningful discussion, we need more true moderates and not another Obamabot.

What you said 3 years ago, I don't know and don't care.
What you say now, I feel the same (your right to speak your mind, about me or any topic).
I would agree that this site is "dominated" by a more left-leaning audience.

Yes we need moderates, but we definitely don't need any more ultra conservative Libertarians (who are probably wacky in thought, due to over-indulging in pot).
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #94 on: November 09, 2015, 10:19:05 AM »

I think the next question is: is Ben Carson really a neurosurgeon? Cheesy

Yes, right alongside "Dr. Carson, are you really black?"  Cheesy
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #95 on: November 09, 2015, 10:44:28 AM »

By now, we've reached the point where the positive feedback loop is almost self-sustaining: the ideas that circulate as acceptable and normal in the social-conservative, religious and Tea-Party parts of the GOP are so alien and offensive to people on what used to be the moderate left of the political spectrum that they react as though the Republicans are insane and evil, which just reinforces the Republicans' narrative about Democrats.

Yes, and some of the things that circulate as acceptable and normal in the social-liberal free-for-all, for instance all this transgender nonsense, are so offensive to people on what used to be the moderate right of the political spectrum that they react as though the Democrats are insane and evil, which just reinforces the Democrat's narrative about Republicans.

As someone who considers himself center-right on fiscal issues and center-left on social issues, the rancour, vitriol, and apparent absence of any ability to offer reasonable positions from the center is truly disheartening. Neither of the narratives being offered by the major parties is of much use to those of us who struggle in the center...
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #96 on: November 09, 2015, 11:12:25 AM »

Yes, and some of the things that circulate as acceptable and normal in the social-liberal free-for-all, for instance all this transgender nonsense, are so offensive to people on what used to be the moderate right of the political spectrum that they react as though the Democrats are insane and evil, which just reinforces the Democrat's narrative about Republicans.

As someone who considers himself center-right on fiscal issues and center-left on social issues, the rancour, vitriol, and apparent absence of any ability to offer reasonable positions from the center is truly disheartening. Neither of the narratives being offered by the major parties is of much use to those of us who struggle in the center...

If you're trying for the Atlas Tedious Hack of the Year Awards, it should be noted that the "more moderate than thou art" category has some steady competition.
Publius
Rookie

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #97 on: November 09, 2015, 11:15:20 AM »

Ugggggggggggg !!

Re: support for Trump and Carson -- "It’s not because of what they are, but because of what they are not."-https://presidentialpoliticsblog.wordpress.com/2015/11/09/the-ben-carson-post/
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #98 on: November 09, 2015, 11:28:59 AM »

Yes, and some of the things that circulate as acceptable and normal in the social-liberal free-for-all, for instance all this transgender nonsense, are so offensive to people on what used to be the moderate right

The only "nonsense" is that bigots can somehow consider it 'offensive' to know that it's wrong for them to be openly bigoted and hateful
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #99 on: November 09, 2015, 11:29:56 AM »

Yes, and some of the things that circulate as acceptable and normal in the social-liberal free-for-all, for instance all this transgender nonsense, are so offensive to people on what used to be the moderate right

The only "nonsense" is that bigots can somehow consider it 'offensive' to know that it's wrong for them to be openly bigoted and hateful

Ah, exactly the attitude Runeghost/SillyAmerican are describing.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies