Confirmation hearing: Classic conservative for Secretary of State (voting NOW)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:37:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation hearing: Classic conservative for Secretary of State (voting NOW)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Confirmation hearing: Classic conservative for Secretary of State (voting NOW)  (Read 1861 times)
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2015, 06:43:35 PM »

I have always believed that a president's appointments should generally be expected to be approved by the Senate. It's clear that Classic Conservative seeks to be active in this position. While I do not support his actions in the Pacific and I have lost all confidence in this administration, it would be foolish of me to prevent a filling of this position while we are in an activity crisis and it is clear that finding someone to enter the cabinet would be very difficult.

I will therefore abstain on the final vote.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2015, 10:02:40 PM »

My concerns about this nominee remain, and have only grown thanks to the reveal of his Pacific record. I'm afraid I can not support this nominee in any way shape or form due to his ballot box behaviors and inactivity in regionial government. I hope he works to get the Pacific house in order, but for now I think his time is better used there rather than here.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2015, 06:05:19 PM »

CC was impatient and really wanted a vote, so since he asked for it, he'll get it.

Please vote yes or no on the nominee
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2015, 06:06:10 PM »

Aye
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2015, 06:11:58 PM »

Aye
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2015, 06:50:26 PM »

I have my reservations, but AYE nevertheless.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2015, 06:59:57 PM »

Due to my deep concerns over his troubling record in the Pacific and his history of controversial statements, my sad inclination is that the nominee will not be a suitable Secretary of State. The Senate did not confirm hifly last year, and we should apply the same principle here.

NAY.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2015, 07:27:09 PM »

Abstain.

Personally though I sincerely wish Classic the best in this role if confirmed.
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2015, 07:54:58 PM »

Aye
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2015, 09:58:48 PM »

Aye.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2015, 08:42:19 AM »

Aye
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2015, 08:42:43 AM »

AYE

Adam has already declared he will fire anyone who is inactive (I think more then a week or something like that), so I am willing to risk giving him a chance on the activity front.

I have not seen any explanation of anything regarding the Pacific or what happened their besides inactivity, just vague accusations with no explanations or evidence.

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2015, 10:44:10 AM »

Unequivocal Nay
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2015, 02:01:35 PM »

Nay
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2015, 11:26:15 PM »

Time to end these Duke. Its been 72 hours since you started the votes and all ten Senators have voted.

I am not sure why darthebearnc attempted to vote in this one.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2015, 12:12:21 AM »

By a score of 6-3-1 CC is CONFIRMED
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2015, 05:53:40 AM »

Thank You Senators.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2015, 03:36:30 PM »

Talk about the senate letting their friends through Roll Eyes

On the Council

It has come to my attention that the October election for the Pacific Council never occurred, and Classic Conservative, Wulfric, and IndyRep all had their terms expire on November 4th. I will be consulting with CJO Ebowed on how to proceed.

While the nominee was parading around, asking for new jobs, he didn't do HIS OWN JOB.

I encourage the current secretary of state to resign, so that the President may find a foreign policy figure actually capable of holding down a job.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2015, 04:30:09 PM »

On the Council

It has come to my attention that the October election for the Pacific Council never occurred, and Classic Conservative, Wulfric, and IndyRep all had their terms expire on November 4th. I will be consulting with CJO Ebowed on how to proceed.

While the nominee was parading around, asking for new jobs, he didn't do HIS OWN JOB.

I encourage the current secretary of state to resign, so that the President may find a foreign policy figure actually capable of holding down a job.

Incredible!
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2015, 01:35:48 PM »

I see regional elections not happening is one Atlasian tradition that hasn't gone away.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2015, 04:13:09 AM »

On the Council

As someone who is not familiar with the Constitution of the Pacific, I am completely at a loss as to how this is Classic Conservative's fault and not Simfan's? As I recall the case was made pretty convincingly that Classic was no longer Speaker during the escapade in October surrouding Simfan's dramatic exit. Therefore I am not sure what conclusion you are drawing from the above mention post. In fact, I communicated with Classic Conservative about a week before Atlasian General election and he stated he expected Simfan would be about a week or so late with the council elections, so at the very least he was under the impression that it was Simfan's responsibility as well. Once Adam was certified as the winner, Simfan immediately begin to make his peculiar moves in the region as the prelude to his deregistration, leaving the region under the control of Judicial Officer Ebowed.

Perhaps if more convincing evidence had been paraded out during the deliberations, instead of vague attacks and accusations of stuffing ballot boxes, of which no proof or evidence was submitted perhaps I would have had some basis to say that voting for confirmation was unwise. However, in the absence of such and in the presence of only best in IRC false narrative peddling, I went with the direction where the truth typically is found and it is not with the IRC thugs. Tongue
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2015, 07:48:10 AM »

Well, I feel like I ought to comment on this, knowing that I will be quickly denounced as some sort of terrible IRC meanie.

The fact of the matter is that the Pacific's activity crisis cannot solely be pinned on Simfan34, as desirable as doing so is. Rather, it was a combination of factors, with one being the utter disaster that the Pacific Council was during this time period.

I will comment on the issues I found in the Pacific Council when I served as Speaker then compare it to Classic's record:

• Simfan34 being completely unhelpful: I had to start court cases against him just so he would open a new council session, after PMing him multiple times. During the period since I left the council and ebowed opened a new one, if you'd like to take a look at the 16th LegCo thread, not a single new council session was opened, with hardly a peep from anyone about it. This is ignoring the litany of scandals that I attempted to bring to the public's attention, however just taking these simple things to attempt to change is enough. Perhaps Classic did not know that he had other avenues to go through to get Simfan off his ass, but that point stands.
  • Activity of fellow councilors: This is definitely something that plagued me! When I was in the Council, except for a few moments, I was all by myself and only managed to pass pieces of legislation if I PMed Gully Foyle or others to vote. Going by the level of activity exhibited by Wulfric (who voted on something once or twice) and IndyRep who i do not believe posted on the Regional Governments board and cheered when he found out he had lost his job, I do not believe that Classic Conservative successfully managed his fellow councilors all that well and kept activity at a bare minimum.
  • Just getting things done: The duties outlined for the Speaker in the Rules of Order are not hard, and this is not much of a challenge. Later in his tenure, if you take a look at recent council threads, you can see that Classic Conservative was simply introducing legislation just to make himself appear there, without doing what he knew he had to, just simply not opening a thread for what he had just introduced. This is an area where I have to excuse Wulfric and IndyRep, seeing as later on there just wasn't anything to debate.

Now, I am sure that Classic Conservative is a good guy and means well, but his record in the Pacific Council is negative when it falls under any scrutiny. Ultimately, when you confirm someone, you confirm them on their merits as an affirmation that they can do the job that they were nominated to. It isn't simply "He's appears sentient, and my opponents dislike him so I'll vote yes."

The Senators that voted "Yea" should have taken a hard look at the nominee's past statements and record of public service to see whether he was one that could successfully manage the State Department, represent us to foreign dignitaries, and keep the department alive in a still ongoing activity crisis. I believe that if the Senators that voted in the affirmation had done this, that they would have reached a far different conclusion.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2015, 12:26:01 PM »

*yawn*

Look, you guys can whine and moan all you want, but he's confirmed and nothing's going to change that. If he doesn't do his job, then I'll deal with it how I promised to deal with all cabinet positions where officeholders go vacant. If he does, then he stays. Anybody else's complaints on his current status in office will amount to absolutely zero influence on the matter.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2015, 12:54:25 PM »

My mom once told me if you don't gave anything constructive to say then shut the hell up. At the time it seemed harsh sure, but now I wish the rest of you would've had the same treatment.

I'm locking this. CC was confirmed. Stop acting like a bunch of spastic losers.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies