Confirmation hearing: RPRyor03 for GM (voting on confirmation)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:22:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation hearing: RPRyor03 for GM (voting on confirmation)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Confirmation hearing: RPRyor03 for GM (voting on confirmation)  (Read 1718 times)
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 06, 2015, 01:13:38 PM »
« edited: November 09, 2015, 06:04:00 PM by VP Duke »

I don't need to explain this
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 01:43:51 PM »

I waive any right to an opening statement. Lovely to see you all again, lads.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 02:28:38 PM »

Nice to have you here, Mr. Pryor. 

I would like to ask a very general question that I think encompasses the entire state of affairs relating to this position at the present.

Is the position of GM a useful one in any way and should it exist in the new constitutional arrangement?
rpryor03
Bahamas

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 02:53:56 PM »

Nice to have you here, Mr. Pryor. 

I would like to ask a very general question that I think encompasses the entire state of affairs relating to this position at the present.

Is the position of GM a useful one in any way and should it exist in the new constitutional arrangement?

I think the position of General Manager is very important in Atlasia. The General Manager is an "independent agent," who while appointed by the President, is not "part of the Government." The GM is the storyteller of Atlasia, who keeps the game moving as an unbiased news source.  As we've seen recently, when there is no GM, the game moves slower, and there's not that much for the Senate and Regions to respond to other than player-created scenarios. I fully believe it should exist in the new Constitutional arrangement.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 03:06:58 PM »

Considering your inactivity in the Senate, why exactly should we trust that suddenly you are fit to be GM???

If you are going to be a vacancy, why don't we just leave the office unoccupied?
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 03:07:17 PM »

A few questions for the nominee:

1. Recent GMs have struggled with the responsiveness, or lack thereof, of the general public to GM story lines. If confirmed, how will you ensure that your office remains relevant and respected, and does not become (in the words of Senator Oakvale) just another cabinet officer writing fanfic that only he reads?
2. Another conundrum faced by some of your predecessors (here I'm thinking of Kalwejt) is straddling the line between originality and absurdity. Apart from standard budget estimates and fiscal reports, what kinds of stories do you see yourself writing? Do you feel that it is acceptable to take "artistic license" and stretch the bounds of reality in order to produce a story that is more "exciting?"
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 03:14:40 PM »

Rpryour, would you continue the movement of previous GMs against cost analysis things beyond budgets, or would you go back to the old way of the GMs and do stuff like that?

I would also like to ask the nominee elaborate on why he would be the best candidate for the position. It sort of made me wonder about the effort level you would put into this position when you waived your opening statement rights. I would like some explanation for that.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 03:37:08 PM »

Mr. Pryor,

Why should the position of GM exist? Has it not been consigned to the dustbin of history?
rpryor03
Bahamas

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 04:21:01 PM »

Considering your inactivity in the Senate, why exactly should we trust that suddenly you are fit to be GM???

If you are going to be a vacancy, why don't we just leave the office unoccupied?

Was I a bit inactive in the Senate? Yes. The last few months, I have been spending a good deal of time on college applications, which I just turned in last week. I have some very fun ideas for being GM, and what I will do.
rpryor03
Bahamas

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 04:27:03 PM »

A few questions for the nominee:

1. Recent GMs have struggled with the responsiveness, or lack thereof, of the general public to GM story lines. If confirmed, how will you ensure that your office remains relevant and respected, and does not become (in the words of Senator Oakvale) just another cabinet officer writing fanfic that only he reads?
2. Another conundrum faced by some of your predecessors (here I'm thinking of Kalwejt) is straddling the line between originality and absurdity. Apart from standard budget estimates and fiscal reports, what kinds of stories do you see yourself writing? Do you feel that it is acceptable to take "artistic license" and stretch the bounds of reality in order to produce a story that is more "exciting?"

Thank you, Senator Truman. I think that as General Manager, I will work closely with cabinet members, the executive, and the regional leaders to ensure that there is an open line of communication. And if they do ignore it, it'll just get harder for them.

I believe in reality. Though I believe that it is acceptable to take "artistic license," I think that there are some pretty "exciting" things in reality, and I'll be working to ensure that we keep this game mostly within the confines of reality.
rpryor03
Bahamas

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2015, 04:45:44 PM »

Rpryour, would you continue the movement of previous GMs against cost analysis things beyond budgets, or would you go back to the old way of the GMs and do stuff like that?

I would also like to ask the nominee elaborate on why he would be the best candidate for the position. It sort of made me wonder about the effort level you would put into this position when you waived your opening statement rights. I would like some explanation for that.

Senator Maxwell, I am fully for cost analysis when it's budget time, and on request from the public.

Let me tell you, Senator Maxwell, that I'd like to believe that I know my strengths and weaknesses. One of my weaknesses is writing and talking. I'm not that good at writing long speeches. I'm very succinct. I don't think that my opening statement would have had much effect. You can get the same things from that long speech as you would by questioning me.
rpryor03
Bahamas

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2015, 04:46:54 PM »

Mr. Pryor,

Why should the position of GM exist? Has it not been consigned to the dustbin of history?

I think the position of GM should exist, as I said to Senator Barnes earlier. I'll quote myself: "The General Manager is an "independent agent," who while appointed by the President, is not "part of the Government." The GM is the storyteller of Atlasia, who keeps the game moving as an unbiased news source.  As we've seen recently, when there is no GM, the game moves slower, and there's not that much for the Senate and Regions to respond to other than player-created scenarios."
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2015, 08:32:47 PM »

I remember Kalwejt resigned the GM-ship after being heckled over a controversial storyline. What would your response be in such a circumstance?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2015, 12:57:29 AM »

I'm very much interested on the answer to the last question, but personally I will be voting to confirm the nominee.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2015, 04:14:05 AM »

I share PiT's concern. Assuming the storyline is not way absurd, caving into the complaining only feeds into the process of the GM being irrelevant. It is unavoidably necessary of course of there GM to stick to his guns on such matters.
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2015, 11:54:56 AM »

After reading the answers to the questions posed by my colleagues, I feel inclined to vote for Mr. Pryor's confirmation.
rpryor03
Bahamas

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2015, 08:21:10 PM »

I remember Kalwejt resigned the GM-ship after being heckled over a controversial storyline. What would your response be in such a circumstance?

Senator PiT, let me answer with the words of a great philosopher and songwriter. "The haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, Baby, I'm just gonna shake, shake, shake, shake, shake, I shake it off, I shake it off."
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2015, 08:31:08 PM »

Is there an important point though, that the GM position is toothless? If a storyline goes against popular consensus - say, for example, a well-received stimulus bill, according to your Word Of God, fails to achieve a reduction in the unemployment rate - people simply ignore it.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2015, 06:45:06 PM »

I do not honestly believe in the usefullness of this position any longer but I think it would be foolish to prevent someone who wishes to be active in the role.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2015, 10:00:45 PM »

I'm fine with this nominee.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2015, 12:19:25 PM »

I'm sure the nominee will do a reasonable job given the circumstances but as I do not believe the position should exist I will be voting against confirming anyone as GM.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2015, 06:03:44 PM »

Okay I'm done listening to all these questions. It's time for YOU to decide if you want this man as GM!

Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2015, 06:06:39 PM »

Aye
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon