Why doesn't the GOP have credible African-American conservative politicians?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:58:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Why doesn't the GOP have credible African-American conservative politicians?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Why doesn't the GOP have credible African-American conservative politicians?  (Read 4554 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 06, 2015, 01:44:42 PM »

Why? Alan Keyes was crazy in 1996 and 2000, Herman Cain in 2012, and now Ben Carson in 2016? Why hasn't Colin Powell, Condoleeza Rice, Michael Steele, T.W. Shannon, Tim Scott, and J.C. Watts done a better job of making it a powerful reality that an African American GOPer can be elected a governor to be a credible presidential contender in the future?
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 01:59:29 PM »

Colin Powell: Too liberal, connected to one of the greatest foreign policy blunders of all time.

Condoleeza Rice: Too liberal, connected to one of the greatest foreign policy blunders of all time.

Michael Steele: Actually an idiot.

T.W. Shannon: Who?

Tim Scott: Stands a strong chance to win the nomination in 2020.

J.C. Watts: Didn't want to be president.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 02:10:11 PM »

There aren't all that many conservative African-Americans, so the number of potential presidential candidates is going to be low.

Officeholders not mentioned so far include Lieutenant Governor Boyd Rutherford of Maryland, and congressman Will Hurd of Texas.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 02:21:11 PM »

If the question is "Why doesn't the GOP have more credible African-American conservative politicians?" then the answer is, "because the GOP strongly prefers electing WASP men".
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 02:28:23 PM »

They don't have many credible white politicians.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 03:36:37 PM »

I think only about 1% of elected black politicians are Republicans, so they don't have a big talent pool to work with.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 03:58:56 PM »

When 3% of African Americans vote Republican, It's kind of hard to find politicians among that group.
EliteLX
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.64, S: 0.85

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 04:04:47 PM »

When 3% of African Americans vote Republican, It's kind of hard to find politicians among that group.

I hate to be a statist but the GOP would have to nominate a tube of toothpaste to get 3% of the African American vote. Don't be so ignorant.
Taco Truck 🚚
Schadenfreude
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 04:26:10 PM »

I think the question that the OP is actually asking is why do black buffoons get such high poll numbers in Republican national elections considering there are so few black Republicans in general.

Racism.  All the black presidential candidates the OP mentioned used the work "plantation" either in a speech, interview, or article.  The racists love hiding behind these buffoons and egging them on.

A black buffoon just can't count on that kind of racist support in the Democratic party.  That's why there are so many African American Democrats but none of this national election buffoonery in the Dem primaries.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 04:30:34 PM »

I hate to be a statist but the GOP would have to nominate a tube of toothpaste to get 3% of the African American vote. Don't be so ignorant.

What are you even talking about?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2015, 04:33:59 PM »

JC Watts, although partisan, was the only one to stay above the scandals. Cain & Carson, fall is to Trump & Clinton's advantage. I think Carson will be the last one running in a GOP primary.

But, in South, blacks arent influenced by unions as much, due to agriculture, thats why there are more of them down there, who some voted for Bevin for Gov.
bobloblaw
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2015, 05:18:35 PM »

who are the credible black Democrats?
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2015, 05:50:16 PM »

JC Watts, although partisan, was the only one to stay above the scandals. Cain & Carson, fall is to Trump & Clinton's advantage. I think Carson will be the last one running in a GOP primary.

But, in South, blacks arent influenced by unions as much, due to agriculture, thats why there are more of them down there, who some voted for Bevin for Gov.

wut?
DS0816
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2015, 03:49:17 AM »

who are the credible black Democrats?

Start with the 44th president of the United States.

Good luck to you with your research!
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2015, 07:38:53 AM »
« Edited: November 07, 2015, 07:41:41 AM by OC »

Establishment
STEELE
CONDI Rice moderate
Kenneth Blackwell
POWELL McCain conservative

Tea Party
JC Watts
Herman Cain
Dr Carson

The more moderate wing, which supports immigration reform and abortion to some degree cant get together with tea party wing, whose intolerance towards abortion is unabashed. Thus, creating a rift.

Black voters do support abortion on demand. Thus, not identifying with black conservatives ad a hole. Leaving Colin Powell, to endorse Barack Obama.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2015, 08:49:18 AM »

We have Tim Scott. Other than Obama, the only ones the Left really has are Loretta Lynch and Cory Booker. I am not including Ben Carson because I do not consider him a politician.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2015, 11:31:24 AM »

EliteLX
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.64, S: 0.85

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2015, 11:36:54 AM »
« Edited: November 07, 2015, 11:39:24 AM by EliteLX »

You know exactly what I'm talking about, don't play like an idiot. The GOP 's absolute floor with African American voters is 4%. Mitt Romney did not even make a run to try and make inroads with blacks. Candidates should be receiving anywhere from 7-14% of the African American vote and stop trying to squeeze out only every last white male they can.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2015, 12:06:37 PM »

Additionally, it's not like the left has a plethora of "credible" African-American liberal politicians besides Booker and Obama.

wtf
wolfsblood07
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2015, 12:13:37 PM »

There aren't all that many conservative African-Americans, so the number of potential presidential candidates is going to be low.

Officeholders not mentioned so far include Lieutenant Governor Boyd Rutherford of Maryland, and congressman Will Hurd of Texas.
Many black people are very conservative on social issues.  I wish the GOP could win more of their votes.
Herman Cain and Ben Carson are excellent conservatives.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2015, 12:29:05 PM »

One of the top ten most powerful people in the world from 2005-2009 was a black Republican named Condi Rice. She was perhaps our greatest Secretary of State, she didn't use her position to be a U.N. puppet but instead sought to bring health to those in underdeveloped countries and she sought to bring our allies to the table in an effort to work to defeat our enemies.

I think the Republican Party has to do a better job reaching out to black voters. We have to convince folks that we care about them and not just middle class folks in suburbs. We have to be about lifting all people out of poverty, reducing crime, and allowing for economic growth through the free market. That's how we win, we don't win by talking only about education policy, which is a local issue.

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2015, 01:12:02 PM »

You know exactly what I'm talking about, don't play like an idiot. The GOP 's absolute floor with African American voters is 4%. Mitt Romney did not even make a run to try and make inroads with blacks. Candidates should be receiving anywhere from 7-14% of the African American vote and stop trying to squeeze out only every last white male they can.

You are arguing with me over semantics, my main point is how is the GOP going to find credible politicians over what is a very small voter segment, and a voter segment that, some could argue, is shrinking.
TarHeelDem
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2015, 03:24:23 PM »

RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2015, 04:47:59 PM »

Other than Obama, the only ones the Left really has are Loretta Lynch and Cory Booker.

Are we defining credible as "potentially able to win the Presidency"? Because that's a really high threshold for anyone. If we're talking about sane, elected politicians with substantial accomplishments, the Dems have plenty of others. Just look at the House alone.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2015, 10:54:22 AM »

Other than Obama, the only ones the Left really has are Loretta Lynch and Cory Booker.

Are we defining credible as "potentially able to win the Presidency"? Because that's a really high threshold for anyone. If we're talking about sane, elected politicians with substantial accomplishments, the Dems have plenty of others. Just look at the House alone.
I meant "nationally-known and credible". I can't think of a single one in the House that meets this standard. But I don't know much about James Clyburn or the guy that represents Kansas City. I do not count Charles Rangel or Elijah Cummings as "sane", though Cummings is more sane than Rangel by a long shot. I imagine there are some "credible" black Republicans in the House out of a 245-member caucus as well.

Actually, I forgot Jeh Johnson. He is a real pragmatist in an era of insane idealism, in the cabinet position where a guy like that is probably needed the most.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies